PDA

View Full Version : Face/Eye protection? Newbie's first loadout

Spof
03-22-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm looking to get my first loadout setup, and had some questions about the face protection aspect.

I've found these goggles which seem to be held in high regard.
Arena Flakjaks: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_99&products_id=3891

The question is what should I do to protect the rest of the face? I've seen stuff like shemaghs, half neoprene masks, and just generic cloth things advertised. Does anyone use / have experience with these? How well do they protect? How comfortable are they?

Another possibility would be to just get a full paintball mask, so does anyone have any recommendations here?

Caliban
03-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Those are nice looking goggles Spof. I may check into some of those as well.

I used to play paintball, and still have my 2 masks. My only complaint for using a full paintball mask is that it makes it difficult to sight my AEGs, so I invested in the seperate lens full-sealing goggles. The drawbacks of those are that they fog easier and there's no way I could wear my eyeglasses under them. For the last OP I pulled the mask off the goggles of the paintball mask. My glasses fit nicely under them. I don't wear anything to cover the rest of my face. Yes I have been hit in the face, and yes it hurts. If your worried about teeth, I've seen quite a few people using a sports mouthpiece.

BerglundAirsoft
03-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Personally I have two pairs of Flakjak goggles, one black and one tan, and they work perfectly. They have great circulation and a great field of view; the only thing is that you will need to find a good anti-fog solution because no matter haw good your goggles are they will fog up sooner or later. I have never really needed to use face protection, but I have seen guy's using shemags, and the one I have is pretty comfortable.

AustinWolv
03-22-2009, 02:39 PM
The question is what should I do to protect the rest of the face? I've seen stuff like shemaghs, half neoprene masks, and just generic cloth things advertised. Does anyone use / have experience with these? How well do they protect? How comfortable are they?

Another possibility would be to just get a full paintball mask, so does anyone have any recommendations here?
Majority of players don't wear any face protection. Do what makes you comfortable however. Teeth are expensive.
The people that do wear face protection that I've seen consist of a minority wearing full masks, some people using mouthguards, and some people using shemaghs. A very small minority have used a painter's-style mask that they just flip up when they are going into a room or something to protect their mouth, but otherwise they have it down around their neck.

otang
03-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Most engagement distances don't demand full face protection, but do what feels comfortable to you. Don't play airsoft with your mouth open.

NMDA
03-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I used to wear a shemagh, and it work fairly well except it gets really hot during the Texas summers; works great during the winter though. I now am trying out a mouthguard and it seems to work fairly well at protecting the teeth, but talking has become somewhat of a chore. It really comes down to how much comfort you are willing to sacrifice in order to protect you teeth weighed against the likelyhood you will take a tooth shot. After seeing my brother's whole tooth fiasco (got cracked and then went septic), I plan to always play with a mouthguard or some other form of teeth protection. Also, if you get a raised scope mount for your aeg, it becomes fairly easy to sight it with a low profile paintball mask on.

sonjamichelle
03-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Being over the 18 mark, I wear ANSI z87 rated safety glasses. They're nice an low profile, have no issues with sighting and fogging is rare unless my mouth and nose are covered. However I have had a couple of cases where the bb hit my cheek and was able to get under the lens. As for face protection I wear a shemagh around my neck and a Condor Recon wrap that I pull up over my mouth and nose. It doesn't really give you impact protection but it does offer a bit of protection. For fields and events that require full seal goggles I'll use the Revision Locust goggles.

Any type of lens you use should be ANSI z87 compliant. So those 19.99 specials at Wal-Mart may not be up to the task. You only have two eyes, so you choose your priorities.

There's a variety of setups out there ranging from safey glasses, "swimmer's" style low profile goggles, standard MilSpec goggles, molded face masks, two piece rigs with detachable goggle/mask to full out riot face shiled attached to a helmet. (Use that in conjunction with safety glasses.) You'll have to find wha tmeets your field's requirements and your personal comfort level. Mostly it'll be trial and error.

Though for $20 or so, the Arena FlackJaks are a good start.

jeremywills
03-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Most engagement distances don't demand full face protection, but do what feels comfortable to you. Don't play airsoft with your mouth open.

Unless your screaming HIT and a few of the 20 more behind the first initial one wind up hitting the back of your mouth. I've swallowed a few that way before :D Sound advice though.