PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Order

Shokk
02-22-2009, 12:25 AM
I am looking into picking up an used TM G36 and i hear they lack performance for the field so I would upgrade it, however through my research i can't seem to find a definite answer of what order upgrades need to be bough it. I am for sure going to buy a m120 spring, tight bore barrel, and spring guide, however i do not know what else is needed. Do I need gears, piston, piston head, etc?

I would like it to have good performance yet still be very reliable.

AustinWolv
02-22-2009, 12:49 AM
A stock TM will run fine with just a spring and metal bushings up to a M120-level spring.

That is the minimum, will still serve you reliably, and will put you on par with others on the field.

After that, spring guide and pistonhead are next. You'll also want to space the piston for proper engagement with the sector gear, which is essentially free except for buying some washers at Home Depot and perhaps a longer pistonhead screw.

Shokk
02-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Alright thanks, much appreciated. When should the motor and gears be upgraded?

AustinWolv
02-22-2009, 01:27 AM
In regards to upgrades that use M120-level springs and lower:
Some people like to upgrade gears right away. Personally, I'd rather use the stock TM gears until they strip and then replace them.

Unless you are seeking a specific setup, such as high-speed, quicker trigger response, or driving heavy springs, there isn't a compelling reason to replace the stock TM motor.

Shokk
02-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Alright thanks, a 9.6v battery is also needed for an m120 spring correct?

AustinWolv
02-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Alright thanks, a 9.6v battery is also needed for an m120 spring correct?
No, not necessarily. Capacity and internal resistance of the pack matters here, not just voltage.

whiterabbit05
02-22-2009, 10:25 PM
8.4v batteries can pull an M120 no problem, with a slower rate of fire of course.

Shokk
03-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks. So I would like to upgrade my gear box with a Systema parts, however I'm not sure which parts are compatible. Will a Systema gear set, shims, and brushings, work in the ver 3 gearbox?

AustinWolv
03-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks. So I would like to upgrade my gear box with a Systema parts, however I'm not sure which parts are compatible. Will a Systema gear set, shims, and brushings, work in the ver 3 gearbox?
Yes, as long as you get a gearset that is Ver2/3-compatible. That means the same gearsets work in both Ver2 and Ver3 mechboxes.
Shims are not special. Neither are bushings except for their size, i.e. 6mm, 7mm, etc., because there are mechboxes that take different size bushings. The TM G36 mechbox uses 6mm bushings, which is the 'standard' size for mechboxes.