PDA

View Full Version : Broken piston head and cracked gearbox

balut
11-23-2003, 03:23 PM
http://free.7host02.com/m4rtin/bsg-skirmish.jpg
I was playing this last saturday and my gun broke down on me, so I took it apart and found out that the metal part that goes inside the piston and screws in piston head was stripped. So, now I need a new one and i'm asking y'alls expertise on what to purchase. Should I go ahead and buy a systema or an area1000 poly carb piston head and not worry about the other parts, or should I replace the whole deal. I found this hurricane kit that replaces most parts for $59:
M120 Spring
Poly Piston Head
Cylinder Head
Cylinder
Taper
Oil less Bushing(bearings)
Blue Metal spring guide
and because of the price, i'm questioning the reliability of this hurricane kit.
http://airsoftatlanta.com/images/hurrkit_jpg.jpg
Now lets talk about the gearbox, since this SR16 has been passed down to three generation of airsoft players, I was the unfortunate one that encountered this problem. I know that the gearbox won't break yet, but its going in that direction, should I go ahead and purchase a new gearbox or should I just wait it out?. When I was browsing airsoftextreme they listed two type of gearbox one for the version 2 gearbox and the m4/m16 gearbox. I thought that the SR16 mechbox is the same as the m4/m16 gearbox, whats the difference between these two?
heres is the version 2 gearbox :
http://www.airsoftextreme.com/images/sysgearboxver2.gif
and here is the m4/m16 gearbox :
http://www.airsoftextreme.com/images/sysgearboxm4.gif

Thanks,
Martin
Rogue Airsoft Militia
Houston, Tx.

cclark1985
11-23-2003, 03:58 PM
Wow, nice post. Very profesional. I'm impressed.

Anyways, as for the hurricane kit. It's my opinion that you should probably go ahead and replace all that stuff. Best for the long run. The cracked gearbox has also gotta go. Progear mechbox's are the strongest, but are also the most expensive. CAs reinforced mechbox's are stronger than maruis but not as strong as the progear. I'm not sure what the difference is between the v2 and m4/m16 gearbox is, besides the cutout in the back over the spring. I'm sure one of the other more experienced people here could help you more on that subject.

AustinWolv
11-23-2003, 04:56 PM
I'll answer to the best of my knowledge, and welcome to the community!

1. The Hurricane FTK's are new to the market and thus I haven't seen much info on them. I believe that somebody local recently ordered one, so we'll have a better idea once Obsidian actually receives the order if the parts are nice or not. Typically, Hurricane has some nice products however. Part of the reason it is cheaper is becaues it does not include ALL of the parts like the Systema FTK's. Other good internal parts out there are made by Guarder.

As for replacing ALL of your parts, that is totally up to you. If you have no qualms about working on your mechbox, then I'd say just replace the parts that need to be replaced. The stock TM parts will last longer than you think, unless you notice they are significantly worn. Stock TM pistons are actually very good and not that much of a dropoff compared to upgrade pistons for example.

2. Go ahead and replace the mechbox shell since you know it will definitely fail since cracks are showing up already.
The SR16 is indeed a Ver2 mechbox, but if I recall correctly, the M4/M16A2 shell has slightly different wire routing, along with the aforementioned cutout by the spring. The Ver2 without the cutout in the rear is a slightly older revision, I *think*.
http://www.wargameclub.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=TM-PT-GB2A_cat_Gearboxs
http://www.wargameclub.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=TM-PT-GB2B_cat_Gearboxs
If money is not a problem, you want this one:
http://www.wargameclub.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=SYS-ACC-RGB1_cat_Gearboxs

Classic Army mechboxes are actually quite stout and can withstand quite a beating. However, they are not as consistent in manufacturing and are not made as cleanly; therefore, they may have rough spots that cause undue friction, so like the rest of their products, what you get may be hit or miss. That is unfortunate, as their mechboxes are probably the more durable in terms of not cracking out there. Progear/Systema mechboxes are the most common for upgrade mechbox shells, but are not indestructable either; however, they are more sturdy than stock TM mechboxes. Progear boxes are very well-made and have better design practices integrated in terms of filletting corners for example. That being said, even TM Ver3 mechboxes are "tougher" than Ver2 mechboxes, just because of the inherent design when you compare the two.

3. Shop around, as AirsoftExtreme's prices are often inflated. It really varies from item to item on their site, as there are a few products they have great prices on, but then they have outrageous prices on others.

balut
11-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick reply! and thanks for the warm welcome, I feel at home. I'm gonna go ahead and order the pro gear mechbox, so that I won't have to encounter this problem anytime soon. As for the pistons and the cylinder, everything is still working fine, but eventually the other parts are going to go out, so might as well purchase the parts to save on shipping(sorry, i'm a cheap bastard). So, which online retailer do you guys suggest?, I need someone whose quick with shipping and has great prices, because I need this gun for the coming OP (operation RG).

Thanks,
Martin
R.A.M.

AustinWolv
11-23-2003, 05:43 PM
There are a number of retailers listed in the Web Links section, but it depends if you are looking for Stateside or overseas retailers.

I've had very good experiences with airsoftplus.com and uncompany.com, as well as good service from combatdepot.com, but slow shipping from them. WGC is of course well-known, but they've messed my orders up before, even though they did ship quickly. RedWolf, of course, has is reputable as well.

mcoupe11
11-23-2003, 05:46 PM
I've read some anecdotal evidence of Systema Progear mechboxes cracking. While they're probably stronger than stock Marui boxes, they're far from unbreakable, so it's worth considering, in my opinion, the fact that you can buy two Marui mechboxes for the price of one Progear.

As for the CA, I've installed one and I'm pretty pleased with it, although Wolv's comments on the precision of its construction are accurate; it took a fair bit of tuning and tinkering to get it running smoothly.

The M4/M16 gearbox is a V2 gearbox with a section cut out near the back (as evident in the images you posted) which permits a person to retain the quick takedown feature of stock TM plastic bodies. If your receiver is one of those, you will need to purchase that specific type of gearbox. Most Armalite metal bodies will not have the quick takedown feature and therefore can use any V2 gearbox.

balut
11-23-2003, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the information guys, I really appreciate it. Anyways, I need to find out where can I get an SR16 magazine catch? the small screw is stripped and needs to be replaced.

Thanks,
Martin
R.A.M.

Agrovale
11-24-2003, 09:15 AM
I am assuming this gun was upgraded with a new spring at some point. It is very important to put loctite on the screw that holds the piston head to the piston. And your picture shows exactly what happens when that screw backs out, then gets jackhammered in and out of the metal piece that it threads into. Personally, I would go the progear mechbox route too.

HTH :)

Paladin
12-19-2003, 11:50 PM
A cracked gearbox like yours is indicative of dry firing. Hence the reason to be careful on the trigger and to pay attention when your gun isn't firing BBs's as it should.

Regarding gearbox shells, I'd stay away from CA. You'll have a 50/50 chance of getting a gearbox that will function properly. And if it doesn't you'll have a difficult time getting it to work. I've seen a number of CA replacement gearbox shells where the Anti-Reversal latch would not function as it was supposed to. Take all of the same parts and put them into a Progear or Marui gearbox shell and it works just fine.

Regarding your desire to upgrade your gearbox with all new parts, why replace good parts with.......................good parts that require additional expense. The stock parts that are already in your gearbox are quite durable.

I'd suggest spending the money on your loadout instead of wasting it on upgrade parts that aren't needed.