PDA

View Full Version : AEG deborking and cleanup

ichainsaw
02-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Okay, so in my most recent skirmish I borked up my gun's barrel which in turn borked up my feed nozzle somehow. Anyway, so yet again I am cracking open the ol' mechbox and while I am at it I am going to do my annual re-greasing and cleaning ahead of schedule.
So about the mechbox cleaning: Do you guys have any tips?
I usually just wipe up all the old grease and add new grease. This time I think I am going to polish everything up. I'm soaking the nozzle and tappet plate in hot water so I can get all the grease off of them so I can examine them further. Should I soak the gears too? I'm also polishing the cylinder and piston and such.
I'm washing the mechbox shells with water, and I've heard I have to dry them thoroughly. Anything bad going to happen if I don't?
Anyway, please give me your extra tips/secrets on cleaning those nasty mechboxes.
About the deborking:
I smacked my barrel up against a wall and the outer barrel flew out of the RAS (thanks to free float RAS haha). So this kinda screwed up the nozzle/tappet plate a bit. After I reassembled the barrel (before touching the mechbox), the gun just spit BBs out of the barrel at a super super low velocity. They almost just rolled out. The nozzle looked bent and it wasn't cycling all the way. I'll post pictures in a second. Any idea on what this could be?

CALI
02-01-2009, 07:25 PM
I use old toothbrush for the gears and spray them with silicone oil. Spraying alone should get the old grease out. I never used water and degreaser on any of my AEG parts. An old shirt and Q-tips should do the trick on your nozzle and tappet plate or plastic parts. Your old practice of wiping down the parts should be sufficient.

AustinWolv
02-01-2009, 10:57 PM
The nozzle looked bent and it wasn't cycling all the way. I'll post pictures in a second. Any idea on what this could be?
The obvious answer here is to open up the mechbox and find out, since you stated you'll be doing that anyway.
But to play along with your question, my first thought was that you popped off the cylinderhead tube that the nozzle rides on. That is very easy to do with stock cylinderheads. However, you must have banged it pretty hard to pull something like that off and I would think some damage may have occurred to your outer barrel/receiver junction at that point.

ichainsaw
02-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Yeah, Apparently what happened was that when I installed my new "One Piece" outer barrel I forgot to tighten some hex screws...I thought it wouldn't be necessary because it was supposed to be a ONE PIECE outer barrel. Well, so I kinda just learned to live with my barrel being wobbly (blamed it on my plastic body because it's a freefloat). So I guess the actual barrel has been working itself out of the base this entire time.

At my most recent skirmish when I was just walking onto the field I happened to slightly bump the outer barrel on a cardboard wall. And as I was holding my replica in the operator style rest position (http://i40.tinypic.com/2ldrhi.jpg) and the outer barrel slid off...

I think when that happened it might have nudged the nozzle or maybe pushed the cylinder head back into the cylinder ever so slightly. I took it apart last night and everything looks alright. Nothing's bent.

Well, I guess I'm going to put it back together and see if it works! So far it looks like it's alright.