PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Screws Austin

NMDA
01-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi, this is mostly a question for the Austin guys. I need to find replacement screws for my A&K SPR body and gearbox. The screws holding the gearbox together, around the motor plate, and the ones on the body pins are made of an extremely soft metal and have begun to become deformed (the head of the screws are just falling apart when I try to unscrew them). I am sure I can get the screws out, but I would like to replace them after tuning the gearbox. My question is where would be a good place to find replacements screws around Austin? I plan to hit up places like Lowe's and the Austin Bolt Co, but I was just wondering where the Austin guys suggest I go.

MrZero
01-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I've been to Austin bolt (over there off north Burnet right?) several times looking for stuff for airsoft and auto repair. It's hit or miss.

For the small stuff you're talking about, most of us will measure the length and then determine the pitch and threads per inch ( those gauges are easy to come by, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, etc......usually tap and die sets include them....) and then order exactly what we need from McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/

Trust me, you'll be lucky to find exactly what you need elsewhere, though if you do want to check local, your best bet is to go down to Breed and Company at:

718 W. 29th St.
Austin, TX 78705
Ph: 512-474-6679

that's between Guadalupe and Lamar near campus. They have a TON of fasteners that the big box stores don't.

The advantage of McMaster is that you'll likely end up with exactly what you want AND you can sometimes choose a different fastener head type that you like best like hex, torx, phillips, etc......

Hope that helps and good luck!

AustinWolv
01-04-2009, 10:37 PM
'The Hardware Store' on the corner of 183 and Spicewood (I believe) has quite a few screw types, including metric which is what you likely need, that most other places do not. They have a very good selection of other random parts, including o-rings, that other common hardware stores, like Home Depot, don't carry either.

CALI
01-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Go to any RC hobby stores and they sell a lot of Metric bolts nuts and washers. Grainger is good but they will sell it to you by the hundreds and it's costly. Plus you may need a company account to purchase.

ss190
01-05-2009, 10:10 PM
If you still cant find the screws your looking for let me know and show me the screw and ill try and make one that would fit and work right. I have made screws in the past for some guns that I couldent find anywhere else and they have worked out just fine.

Skulldrag
01-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Austin Bolt Shop is on Rutland. Near the corner of Rutland and Metric. If they don't have a screw/bolt they can order it, UNLESS of course it's a "Specialty" screw/bolt.

NMDA
01-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the help guys.