PDA

View Full Version : M14?

e2 G4H
10-23-2008, 10:24 AM
I am looking into building a new DMR from a M14, but can't decide if I want to to go Classic Army or TM, I have heard good and bad from each brand, what would be your choice. Any pro's and con would help from those who have them.

AustinWolv
10-23-2008, 10:40 AM
TM would be my choice because of superior hopup parts performance. The downside is limited battery storage space, but a LiPo pack addresses that easily enough.
Furthermore, I'd rather have TM and TM-compatible mags than the CA mags. TM mags have never let me down. The same cannot be said for CA mags in my experience.

What level of energy level are you looking to achieve? I ask because there have been people that have run M130-level springs with minimal upgrades on the TM platform successfully for a while, such as leaving the piston stock but upgrading gears.....

e2 G4H
10-23-2008, 01:08 PM
I was looking toward at M130 or M140 spring. Man if that's the case then I might have to go a TM gun, alot of people have said the same...Hmmmm well let me get my check book out and see what and where to buy one.

BlackHorse432
10-23-2008, 04:17 PM
There is a lot more, in my experience, available for TM and TM clones than CA and G&G. Mags are plentiful for TM-type, as well as upgrade parts.

shakman
10-23-2008, 07:45 PM
The battery storage issue can be solved with a hammer and screwdriver/chisel. On my TM, I knocked out the "stop" at the bottom of the battery compartment to allow a 9.6v large battery to easily fit within the buttstock.

It's a simple modification and only takes about 10 minutes to do.

My vote is also for the TM. Having worked on several M14's from several different makers, the TM is hands-down the best in terms of workmanship and availibility of upgrades. I take issue with the complexity of the outside-gearbox mechanics and the inability to use standard AEG gearsets, but those 2 things aside, they're fantastic.

e2 G4H
10-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Yea, I think I saw you working your M14 at Harwood during a skirm, looked like you were given them hell, I like the M14 and it seems to be a good base pluse the design of the gear box looks like it could stand the pressure.
But would the TM gear box hold up top the M140 or M15 spring or is it need to be changed.
The battery I am not worried about cause I run Lipo in almost all my guns. But not alot of information about how to take the gear box apart since I have not worked on that one yet.

AustinWolv
10-23-2008, 09:02 PM
But not alot of information about how to take the gear box apart since I have not worked on that one yet.
http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=111

On my TM, I knocked out the "stop" at the bottom of the battery compartment to allow a 9.6v large battery to easily fit within the buttstock.
True that. Going to a 10.8v or 12v is where one has to look at LiPo or packs consisting of smaller cell size.

BlackHorse432
10-23-2008, 09:29 PM
But would the TM gear box hold up top the M140 or M15 spring or is it need to be changed.

Now, this is just from what I have heard, but I understand that the gearbox can take strains of an M140 spring. HOWEVER, you will want to take precautions and upgrade your spring guide, piston and a couple of other parts to ensure survivability to those stresses.

As I said before, this is just from what I have heard. I can't really tell you for sure and there are more qualified people on this site (AustinWolv Shakman, etc) that have worked on these models before or have done those types of modifications.

AustinWolv
10-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Well, if you are talking about the mechbox shell, the M14 should be fine. I have seen and upgraded plenty that have held up fine with high-powered springs. However......I have seen text references to broken M14 shells due to high-power setups, but I can't say I've seen anyone actually post proof of it. It surely isn't as common as Ver2 shells.

If you are talking about internals, I'd be upgrading quite a few of the internals if going to a M140 or M150 setup. It really depends on your budget....

cclark1985
10-24-2008, 09:11 PM
As stated above—but I think not emphasized enough—be prepared to spend quite a bit on upgrade parts if you are going above 500 ft/s. Also, I think the TM M14 is very nice. Although, I haven't experienced any of the other brands. My TM M21 DMR is rock solid and has a nice, crisp report.

Crimson Marine
12-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I own a TM M14, played with it at stock for a little bit then had Kapowwe upgrade it to 400fps and added a Dees tightbore myself. I love this thing so much. I just used it in a skirmish last weekend and I was getting kills left and right. I highly suggest the TM M14, for the reasons stated above and if you have it upgraded and get a tightbore in it you well never look back!