PDA

View Full Version : Boots?

Chief
09-21-2008, 09:09 PM
After this last 9/20 out at Harwood I've decided that it's time to get some actual combat boots as opposed to the hiking boots I've been wearing. Also I was wondering if theres anything I should know before I make this decision, or if there's any basics about buying boots I should know. I will be buying them from banana bay that might help narrow it down. Any advice helps! I don't want to make a newbie mistake and buy boots that aren't adequate or don't have a long life. Price range isn't much of an issue so long as what I'm buying will last me a long time. THANKS!!!

AustinWolv
09-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I have limited boot experience, but there is a point to the following:
Started with issue boots. Good protection and longevity, but lacking comfort. My joints would be sore.

Moved on to Wellcos. Very comfortable and light, but actually ended up wearing through the thinner material areas. They felt like tennis shoes and eased the joint soreness after a long day, but the soles were even chunking out a bit since they were very soft.

Moved into a pair of Danners and haven't changed boots since. Comfortable and very durable; I've been using them for several years now with no sort of care in maintaining them.

Being that it is Texas, about the only thing I would change about the Danners is to look into one of their hot weather offerings, as they might be a bit lighter and cooler than the regular ones I use. Bates would likely be another option I would look into if I was in the market.

Dismount210
09-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Ive been using these fellas since i got back from Ft Polk in july and i have been nothing but happy with them.

http://www.rangerjoes.com/images/A1811.jpg

my back problems have been limited since I have been using them. So far, so good with these puppies.

Bear
09-21-2008, 10:29 PM
I like my Bates M9s.

otang
09-22-2008, 12:07 AM
http://oakley.com/pd/3552

I switched to the Oakley assault boots after my feet hurt so much from using cheap boots. I highly recommend the Oakleys. The difference in comfort was great and my feet actually felt good wearing them as opposed to the feeling of lumps pressing against my feet and toes. I even use the Oakleys to work sometimes.

E6D
09-22-2008, 07:46 AM
http://www.vtarmynavy.com/Closeout_Military_Boots.htm

Soria
09-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Call me a poor joe, but I like my Swat boots.
http://www.originalswat.com/productdetail.php?product_id=NTQ=&category_id=MTA=

Very light and comfortable. Feels like you are wearing a tennis shoe. Breathes very well too.
And somewhat cheaper than some of the other brands. Roughly 65-75 dollars.

Plus mine helped fix a back problem I had. Nothing like good posture.

I wore them everyday to work and wore them to play. I use mine on a daily basis and they have held up fine for over 9 months...

hebrewhammer
09-23-2008, 05:42 PM
I also give a thumbs up on SWAT brand boots. They have proven to be comfortable for all day wear on and off the field. Make sure you get a good pair of socks as well, wool hiking socks will do the job, avoid cotton.

BerglundAirsoft
09-23-2008, 07:49 PM
If you are buying from Bannana Bay then you might want to buy what they call Boots, Combat (you will see the name on the tag), I use them I they work great. The only problem is that they are solid black leather so they get hot durring the Texas summer, and also that they don't have good cushions, but they are solid and last along time. I would stay away from the Jungle Boots they sell because even though they are cool durring summer they wear out pretty quickly(from my experience). I don't have any experience with the SWAT boots that they sell so I can't recomend them. Unfortunately the Boots, Combat do cost $69.99 but last along time and I believe that with some maintenance they should last even longer.

kestrel
09-23-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Soria and HebrewHammer here.
I bought my SWAT boots a little over 4 years ago and they've served me just fine. They look pretty beat up at this point, but they're great for the price.

tacticalsniper123
09-23-2008, 08:59 PM
The best boots are the s.w.a.t boots. I bought them and roughed them up. Very comfortable and very durable. I bought them from banana bay as well. Going off topic do u live in austin?
If so we should hang out some time and play a few airsoft games. Do you have a team?

AustinWolv
09-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Going off topic do u live in austin?
If so we should hang out some time and play a few airsoft games. Do you have a team?
Stay on topic. Send him a PM if you would like to talk.

Mir
09-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Ive been using these fellas since i got back from Ft Polk in july and i have been nothing but happy with them.
http://www.rangerjoes.com/images/A1811.jpg
my back problems have been limited since I have been using them. So far, so good with these puppies.
I agree, I own a pair of these boots and have found them to be great all around. However they are a "thicker boot" and hold in heat more but have a crap load of padding and support. If you want something a little lighter a "summer" boot by danner will work great and should breath excellently and be pretty light.

Crown
09-24-2008, 02:58 PM
I own 2 pairs of boots.... The first of which are black Oakley SI boots which are INCREDIBLY comfortable. The second pair are tan Rocky Tac Team boots which are waterproof and come in 2nd place to my Oakley's in the comfort dept.

hebrewhammer
09-24-2008, 04:21 PM
I re-read your original post and realized you were planning on purchasing from Banana Bay. Your selection there will be pretty limited,if I'm not mistaken S.W.A.T is the only recognizable brand they had last time I was there. I recommend you check out GT Distributors they have a large selection of boots and you would be able to try on several different pairs.

Anthrax01
09-27-2008, 08:56 PM
GT Distributors isn't open to the public. It's a trade-only (law enforcement/security) firm.
Banana Bay in Austin had SWAT boots in stock when I was there earlier today.

AustinWolv
09-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Plenty of non-LEO customers have walked into GT Distributors from this very site without a problem. In fact, some of the members here have been there so often that they are recognized by staff. :)

Basically, don't go in there and act like a jackass, and you'll be ok.

Chief
09-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Can anyone send a link for those "Danners"? I'd be interested to check them out. Seems that those, the S.W.A.T. boots, and the oakley's seem to be the most popular. I'll do some looking around on the web and possibly go to the oakley store at the mall although I'm a little skeptical and don't think they'd have them at such an urban location.

otang
09-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Just wanted to say Ditto, AW. I have gone into GT's and bought some nice goodies. Some of the non-LE airsoft vets go there a few times a week! In additon, GT's president even gave us gift cards to use as raffle prizes at our airsoft Operation.

Chief, talk to Crown. He knows which store should have them although any Oakleys store that sells more than just sunglasses should have those boots. I got mine at an Oakleys store as well.

hebrewhammer
09-28-2008, 11:18 AM
I was in GT on Friday for "Glock Day". They carry the Oakley and Danner boots, 5.11 had a few nice pairs as well.

IMIRanger
10-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I've recently started wearing boots on a regular basis... You can go out and buy the most expensive boots you can find but that is not going to make them any better than the rest. I still wear the boots I was issued and haven't had any problems with them. They are similar to the Atlama Tan Desert Sahara Boot: http://www.vtarmynavy.com/atlama-tan-desert-sahara-boot.htm
If I were you I would stay away from ripple soled boots. They are a lot heavier than regular soled boots. I don't know if there are any boot shops in Austin that will customize boots but if you can find one then I would recommend getting the toe and heel cap taken out along with the steel shank! They pretty much become moccasins after you do that!
Belleville 390 Hot Weather Boots http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productID=8990&TabID=137&cm_sp=ItemBanners-_-BestSellers_137-_-8990 are by far the most common non issued boots on Fort Bragg. They are known for being worn in out of the box.
Comfort is key so go out and try some boots on. Thats probably the best thing you could do!