PDA

View Full Version : Rifles?

Chaos_Angel
07-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Ok, so I have both a UK Arms M14 and my more recently bought UK Arms L96. Both have worked out wonderfully for the ambushes and medium-ranged shots of high-density forest combat. But I see they lack in the long lines of view that I get most of the time, and there have been many shots I second-guess because of the range.
Can anyone out there suggest some rifles and ammo/ammo weights to be using for a more long-range firing distance, yet still be a little reliable?
And yes, I do realise the fallibility of a rounded projectile and they're unreliable to start with.

AustinWolv
07-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the site.

Please read entirely: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81

You should be looking at .28g BBs minimum. Going heavier than that typically coincides with the muzzle energy of your gun.

In short, a gun with high muzzle energy will cost you a good amount on building a mechbox from scratch if you go the semi-auto DMR-type route. If you go with a bolt-action, there are many choices, ranging from very cheap BAR10 which is the clone of the TM VSR10, which is a nice platform.

Given the tone of your questions, I'm going to assume you are fairly new, so I would recommend staying away from gas-powered bolt-actions.

Moreover, you'll want to take into account your local fields' rules, as that will determine your upgrade level.

Chaos_Angel
07-11-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm looking more along the lines of bolt-action rifles, which I do know there is a great range of choice but would like to narrow it down. Gas guns are not in my search as of right now.

Yes, it is true I'm fairly new to all this. Mainly I'm new to the more expensive and high-end rifles.

And the rifle will need to be in the 350-500 fps range.

Please forgive me for being a little unclear.

Bear
07-11-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm looking more along the lines of bolt-action rifles, which I do know there is a great range of choice but would like to narrow it down. Gas guns are not in my search as of right now.
Yes, it is true I'm fairly new to all this. Mainly I'm new to the more expensive and high-end rifles.
And the rifle will need to be in the 350-500 fps range.
Please forgive me for being a little unclear.
A number of local guys have used the Marui VSR to great effect.

Chaos_Angel
07-11-2008, 10:31 PM
A number of local guys have used the Marui VSR to great effect.

That made me look that up, and I'm quite impressed with what it can do.

However, it also brought me across the UTG Mk96. Anyone know the truth behind this gun? Can it really take on VSR upgrades without high stress?

Oh, and it's hard to say, but most of the shots I would be pulling would be upwards of 75-100ft engaging distance.

AustinWolv
07-12-2008, 05:41 AM
That is rather close range, so you could get by with a stock rifle easily.

Where do you play?
Asking because of this: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7976

If you are in Texas and plan on playing at events using TASO rules, the range you quote above means your rifle can't be highly upgraded, since minimum engagement distance is 100feet for sniper rifles and DMRs.

LaPHtA
07-12-2008, 08:42 AM
I concur...run bone stock with those distances and count on your stalk/hide to close the gap on a target. However, if your hide method is good enough, you'll be pulling surrender kills more than pulling that trigger...which is a blast when it happens.

Chaos_Angel
07-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Where do you play?
Asking because of this: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forum...ead.php?t=7976

Yeah, the County Sheriff is a close family friend and we've made sure they know about our activities. Same goes with the property owners of the surrounding ranches and the like. We mostly play within our own little airsofting group on my ten acres and our friend's seven. Here in Central Texas, by the way. Hill country, to be almost exact.

If you are in Texas and plan on playing at events using TASO rules, the range you quote above means your rifle can't be highly upgraded, since minimum engagement distance is 100feet for sniper rifles and DMRs.

I said upwards of those distances. I'm not very good at visualising ranges and distance... So I wouldn't know a 100ft shot from a 200ft shot. All I know is I hit my target *shrugs*

LaPHtA
07-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Pace the ranges off and get to know them well. IF your target questions your range, and you're running a highly upgraded rifle, you'll risk being banned from a field of play. It's dangerous as all get out to engage someone with a high end fps rifle too close. No need for your target to second guess you pulling that trigger for you. Just my opinion of course.

Chaos_Angel
07-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Pace the ranges off and get to know them well. IF your target questions your range, and you're running a highly upgraded rifle, you'll risk being banned from a field of play. It's dangerous as all get out to engage someone with a high end fps rifle too close. No need for your target to second guess you pulling that trigger for you. Just my opinion of course.

I already exercise a great deal of caution when it comes to my MED. Considering I gave someone a good sized welt from around 75ft away with my current L96, I try to keep my targets outside of that range of fire. Anything closer than 50ft, I stay my trigger and let them move into my MED.