PDA

View Full Version : Icom F4S headset options...

jeremywills
07-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Edit, links removed after a good honest LSA member brought something to my attention today about the links. Many thanks.

This is the item I wound up purchasing just for the record for future forum members whom might be looking for information...

http://assets.twacomm.com/assets/pdf/30715.pdf

Original post minus the links.....

I've decided to get myself a semi serious headset for my Icom F4S. These cheapy ones although functional just are not cutting it.

These are the two I've narrowed it down to.

Link removed as I have been informed of an issue with it..... :(

The Otto Breeze, I know some of you guys have used these with great success. Otang was kind enough to loan his to Cyclops when we went up to Advanced Battlefield and it seemed fairly decent. Less than 75 seems like a fair price too.

The alternative I've found which seems similar is this...

Link removed....

Both seem similar in construction and I've read favorable reviews on the Otto but can't find much on the Pryme stuff. The only thing I like about the Pryme is the headsets available in a quick dissconnect so you just buy the appropiate inline connector for your radio model. Supposed I wanted to use a different radio down the line I could just swap the quick dissconnect connector and be done with it. I'm just not too sure if the Pryme will be decent enough quality and was wondering if any one had used them or had heard anything about them.

In addition to thier basic modular Patriot headset/radio connector they have this upgraded Tactical package which is of extreme interest to me.

Link removed

I really like the idea of the larger PTT button with that last set. The PDF link shows nicely the screw on connector for the PTT and the wiring. It seems reasonable quality, but Im just not too sure if the Pryme stuff is up to par with the Otto or not. The Otto seems to be the more favorable from what I can gather based off the web at the moment.

Opinions greatly appreciated. I have a gut feeling any of these would work and I'll probably be much happier with either over these cheapy Ebay specials I've been trying. I'm really seriously interested in trying that Pryme Tactical. Worst case if it just doesn't work out I'll make sure I buy it through a company that will accept returns and just get the Otto instead.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Bear
07-03-2008, 11:28 PM
I used the Otto for years, then I wanted something a bit different so I grabbed one of these: http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=23367

Haven't fielded it yet but overall quality seems good and I like the PTT setup.

AustinWolv
07-04-2008, 04:58 AM
Quite a number of local players have run the Breeze over the years locally and have been largely satisfied.

I can't recall anyone running that Pryme rig, but have run some of their other stuff. I can't specifically recall any issues/complaints, so give it a shot.

jeremywills
07-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Thanks guys. Either set is very similar to the wire frame headset we were using with the Midland radios before. For me it was great, I liked it better than these earbuds and loop over the ear booms. Unfortunately even though the Midlands have the same 2 prong connector they are wired internally different so it would always key up the mic when the radio was on, like Vox.

Both of these companies product descriptions say IC-4FS specifically so I am pretty sure there will be no issues. I hope not.

I've decided to give the Pryme setup a shot. I'll post my opinions once its in hand and used it a few times.

Thanks again.

otang
07-05-2008, 12:25 AM
I think DesertWolf from TEARS ordered that Pryme boom set with large PTT. I'd also like to get my hands on one just for the over sized PTT button.

Mattdawg789
07-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Pitt suggested the Pryme Patriot to me a while back. He said it was an excellent headset, and actually more comfortable than the breeze. Its the headset I want to run once I get a decent radio.

jeremywills
07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
I placed the order but because of the 4th Holiday and now being the weekend, it will probably ship Monday. If its here by this next weekend I'll bring it along even though Im not playing so you can check it out Otang.

cclark1985
07-06-2008, 12:30 AM
I've been using the Otto Breeze for a couple months now and have found it to be lacking in the comfort area. There is virtually no padding between the earpiece and ear—I ended up applying some foam I had around the house in order to remedy the problem.

Also something note is that the breeze's PTT button is about 13" from the plug. This limits the radio's placement on a rig. Belt or front vest mounted works well, but mounting on the back is difficult.

I think the headset is great other than those two qualms.

SABOT
07-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Pryme is top notch. I've been running my system for going on 3 years now.
I would expect the Otto to be of comparable quality.

jeremywills
07-24-2008, 11:36 PM
I just recieved my Pryme Patriot Tactical Headset today via UPS. There was a problem with thier inventory or something, took way too long to get here but long story short it wound up getting drop shipped directly from PRYME.

I am very pleased with this purchase. Im always cautious buying stuff online sight unseen and especially with this delay, but I am glad I did. The PTT is freaking huge. I won't be complaining I can't find this one with out breaking my concentration to look down for it

The entire assembly seems very robust and should last quite a while. The beauty of this modular setup is essentially all you have to buy is the appropiate radio connector if you change radios, but you keep the headset and PTT button. If a component of the system fails you just have to replace that individual section.

I can't wait till this Saturday to use it in the field with the ICOM.

otang
07-25-2008, 09:50 AM
I was about to say..'Man that took long'.
I'll be waiting for a review from you after Saturday. I am not sure how easy it is to find the QD sections for changing out to different radios.