PDA

View Full Version : New homemade CADPAT uniform

Tiger D
05-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Because it was only $1.00/yd at WalMart I had to buy some and whip one of these out. We'll see how well it works in the trees and bushes tomorrow.

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/4746/img1504pr2.jpg

RedRaptor
05-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Tiger, do you know how much of a killing you could make if you sold custom CADPAT gear on sites like Arnie's? That pattern seems to be ultra-rare down in the States.

Bstann
05-30-2008, 10:13 PM
I would buy a set.

Bear
05-30-2008, 10:50 PM
I had heard (I think from HH) that CADPAT has a tendency to fade after multiple washings. I'd like to see if this is the case.

Tiger D
05-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Who said I'm going to wash it? I plan on just spraying it down with Lysol once a month to get rid of the smell.

Mir
05-31-2008, 12:15 AM
I had heard (I think from HH) that CADPAT has a tendency to fade after multiple washings. I'd like to see if this is the case.

Washing inside out and button / zipped up seems to have moderately fixed my ACU fading, as well use detergents like ALL that don't contain artificial brighteners.

But it looks nice, I have never seen the pattern till now, I think it could use a bit more desert through. (The pattern that is).

Tiger D
05-31-2008, 12:39 AM
You're right, Mir, it's so important to wash camo inside out. I only had one cheapy digital woodland fade terribly no matter what I did to avoid it. I had to make a top from genuine MARPAT fabric to replace it. It's a blend that appears to be holding up really well in the wash.

Tiger D
05-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Unfortunately WalMart would never carry this fabric, but here is the uniform I want to have next. This is the only place in North America I've found that sells Vegetato. The price looks really good. I think it's Chinese made so who knows how well it will hold up.

http://www.globalarmysurplus.com/produits_details.php?pid=874&pays_id=&cid=&cat_main=3

HammerHead
05-31-2008, 12:58 AM
Honestly, the only thing I *KNOW* about CADPAT is that the pattern and uniforms are jealously protected by the Canadian government. How readily the material or by consequence the uniforms fade is entirely subjective, from my point of view, as I've never so much as had my hands on the stuff :)

Anyway, I digress from the topic and apologize.

Slick stuff, Tiger. Please keep us updated on how well your kit is holding up after repeated use.

jeremywills
05-31-2008, 09:40 AM
If I remember what I've read of the stuff before, the real issue material has IR defeating properties and there is an official pattern print. Thier government has authorized a few companies to make something similar but the print is slightly off, either in color or the pattern itself. With all the asian copy cat companies pumping out stuff left and right as well who knows. Even if that is one of the authorized clone fabrics, its still probably a pretty effective pattern right now.

The Desert version is obviously getting usage over in the Iraq/Afhgan theaters. You rarely see any pictures of Winter flavor, its kinda neat if you haven't see it. The desert would be useful obvisouly at larger games when a tan/green uniform requirement is in place, the winter obviously useless in South Texas but it does look kinda cool. I think I had remembered something about an Urban flavor of this pattern as well.

Edit, I found that article I had read a long time ago.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/camouflageandcombatgear/message/197

Tiger D
05-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Interesting that you should bring up the real fabric versus the knockoff. I don't know about the CADPAT material I got, but I bought a bunch of MARPAT material at WalMart a month or so ago and to my surprise it had the EGA and USMC printed throughout the material. To me this was not a knockoff since my understanding is that the official USMC MARPAT is protected and only the genuine stuff has the emblem. The other thing to note about this material is it hasn't shown the least bit of wear or fading after several washes. I had that problem with other woodland digital BDUs I had.
I was talking to the sales clerk at WalMart, who knows more about sewing and fabrics than I can learn in a lifetime (gave me a lot of sewing tips), and she told me that WalMart aquires fabric overruns that would normally be sold to clothing factories and that's how they can offer it so cheap. So, with that little tidbit of info, who knows if the fabric is official or not. Could be.

Edit-I forgot to mention that the CADPAT fabric I got is unique in that it absorbs sweat, and when a little breeze hits it it cools down quickly. I went into a fast food joint after skirmishing and I was getting really cold and had to go outside in the sun.

Grimace
05-31-2008, 04:54 PM
ewww fast food......just messing with ya. Good work, can't say i'm not jealous of your mad skill.

otang
06-06-2008, 08:28 AM
I like the CADPAT pattern despite being told it won't work here, but I placed mine against some bushes, and it looks great. FYI the flash makes CADPAT appear lighter than it actually is, then again mine is the pair sold in Canada, not the material sold in Walmart. It is about as dark as woodland camo, except a little more green. I wouldn't wash it right side out or too often. Cost me too much to take that risk :)

The CADPAT is NYCO and is see-through when held up to the light. That may be why its so good at repelling sweat and why you feel cold. lol

RedRaptor
06-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Tiger, quick way to find out if your CADPAT is legit Canadian material is to look on it for tiny maple leaves interspersed through the pattern, like the EGAs on MARPAT.