PDA

View Full Version : scopes

adimadopenosepnk
05-20-2003, 03:22 PM
With a CA MP5A2 400 fps fully upgraded internals would a weak red dot scope have any benefit

AustinWolv
05-20-2003, 03:25 PM
What are reddot scopes? I know what scopes are, and I know what reddot sights are, but not what you speak of.

Yes, reddot sights are helpful.

adimadopenosepnk
05-20-2003, 03:28 PM
On www.precisionairsoft.com it refers to them as red dot scopes. they have a slight magnification power

AustinWolv
05-20-2003, 03:41 PM
Those are reddot sights. Where does it say those BSA and TGS reddots provide magnification?

Agrovale
05-20-2003, 03:53 PM
Moved to the appropriate forum...

Sami, ^^^that^^^ doesn't look right. Did I spell it correctly? :confused:

ChickenNinja
05-20-2003, 04:57 PM
appropriate? that's how you spell it...

Katana
05-20-2003, 05:06 PM
Regardless of what the item in question actually is, I'd say that red-dot sights are always outstanding accessories for skirmish replicas, and scopes are almost always handy for observation purposes. The catch is that when Iím using one in airsoft I almost never want the other simultaneously. An example of a low-power red-dot Ďscopeí would be a Trijicon ACOG, which is something I would actually refer to as an electronic weapon sight.

Itís going to come down to personal preference, but in my case, Iíd take a zero-magnification red-dot weapon sight over a low magnification weapon sight or scope. In my case, itís an Aimpoint.

Good luck.

adimadopenosepnk
05-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Alright thanks for the advice.So scopes are mainly used for observation purposes? so on my friends psg1 the scope is used only for observation?

ChickenNinja
05-22-2003, 05:02 AM
On sniper rifles it's different, since they can actually fire far enough for a scope to be of use.

Katana
05-22-2003, 10:09 AM
Adima, the scope on your friend's PSG-1 is the only sighting system for that rifle; there's no back-up iron sights or red-dot or anything, so of course you use the scope as a sighting device.

However, at the low level of magnification we're talking about here, and at the minimally extended range of a 500fps sniper rifle over a 400fps assault rifle (it only gives you about 10 yards more effective range, if that), I'd suggest that the scope is unnecessary, and could be replaced by a sight with minimal loss in effectiveness.... perhaps even an increase.

I look at it this way. Rifle scopes are precision tools for the engagement of small or distant targets. Airsoft bb's are not precise, and they don't have that much of a range either, so if you're going to choose a targeting device, why not select something that will increase your effectiveness in the range band we're talking about here (generally 20-30 yards, on average). At this range my opinion would be that a eye's-up red-dot with it's rapid acquisition and wide field of view is the way to go. The only time I find myself wishing for more magnification is when I'm planning a move to a distant location, examining incoming personnel, or trying to narrow my field of view while I carefully examine a tree-line (looking for enemies). For this purpose, I picked up a long eye-relief monocular.

But my rifle has an Aimpoint on it.

Obsidian
05-22-2003, 12:52 PM
The greatest advantage of the scope on the Airsoft sniper rifle is you can see where your bb went and adjust accordingly. You can also see when the bb smacks them and they brush it off which lets you bitch later hehe.

adimadopenosepnk
05-22-2003, 03:27 PM
hahahahahaha. alright im about to order a CA mp5a2 and thanks to the info,it looks like a red dot sight is the way to go:)