PDA

View Full Version : My WWII Loadout

Tiger D
04-20-2008, 03:34 PM
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3253/img1299iv0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Nubbles
04-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Nice.
What are those camo patterns called?

Gunny16
04-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Very impressive indeed!

Bear
04-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Nice.
What are those camo patterns called?
Splinter on the left and BGS on the right.

Mir
04-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Wow, really nice looking. I think the leather needs a little "roughing up" to give it that authentic combat look, and some dirt on that ow so clean helmet ;)

Tiger D
04-20-2008, 08:21 PM
The left is also called Splittermuster, and the right, Sumpfmuster, also known as Sumpftarn, or Tan and Water.
Since alot of the items are original post war issue, like the Y straps, the buckle, the holster, the Sumpftarn jacket, have already been used for many years they are pretty worn. The Sumpftarn jacket is originally a BGS, Bundesgrenschutz (you were right on target, Bear) border guard jacket dated 1951 that I shortened the collar on it, put button holes in the front enclosure and pockets, added the gray pebble buttons, and moved the bottom pockets to the outside.
Here is a pic from the web of how the jacket originally looked.
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7352/germanbgswg5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
My mod.
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2003/img1308wg9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
The helmet, believe it or not, is originally a fiberglass motorcycle helmet (sorry to ruin it for you) that I gutted the padding on, added enough lining to make it comfortable, painted, and added a leather strap on. As far as it being clean and shiny, I always clean it and shine it after I get the other guy's blood on it. :AR15:

necroticism
04-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Your splinter tunic and M43 looks good, not a fan of the postwar BGS stuff though. Replace that fiber helmet with a real one! You can get replica M40, M35 and M38 helmets for between 100 and 150 dollars.

Just thought I'd add some constructive criticism, I'm a German re-enactor myself so I can't help it :).

Tiger D
04-21-2008, 08:17 PM
The problem is justifying >$100 for an airsoft item I won't wear that often. This helmet costs only $25. It's a lot lighter, which is good since the rest of the gear isn't. I can't afford all the stuff that you need for re-enacting so I just have fun with this once in a while.

As you probably already know, necroticism, the Sumpftarn (BGS) was WWII issue as well. The Heer Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe Fallschirmjager both used it. :cheers: I picked this jacket up for $30.00. It looked almost like it had never been worn. I think that the Sumpftarn would work perfectly in the fall or when there isn't a lot of green vegetation.

Necroticism, if you need sites for the re-enactor stuff, there are a bunch of them with great prices I've used other than 1944militaria or atthefront. I can pm them to you if you like.

Trench_raider
04-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Tiger, I just saw this thread. First off let me say good work! I admire your skill and dedication. It's also good to see another WW2 enthusiasts who also airsofts. You will have to show up in that kit some time.

I could also add some tips, pointers, and constructive critisism if you like. As Necroticism already gave you some, I am reluctant to so so without your aproval as I don't want to seem to be overly negative or be percieved as "piling on".
That being said, there is a world of difference in what will pass muster at a real steel reenactment and what is close enough to get the "feel" of the WW2 German soldier to airsoft. They are two sets of standards and really don't compare. You have certainly acheived the latter and then some. Good work once again.

Let me build on one quick point that Necroticism made though. BGS is a very different pattern than Sumpfmuster. The color is different and the pattern is different. It is similar to the sumpfmuster pattern collectors call "Marsh 44", but really only superficially so. Here is a photo of a replica Marsh 44 smock of the sort I own. You can see the difference.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a114/trench_raider/smock.jpg
That being said, I do like the look of BGS camo on it's own and have one of those tunics myself. I also sometime wear a Sturm BGS m43 as part of my generic airsoft kit. Also, your conversion is one of the better BGS tunic conversions I've seen.

Finally, I have a question. Did you black out the swastikas on your kit or is that just something you did with photoshop or the like?

TR

Tiger D
04-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Trench_raider, thanks for the positive feedback. I just wanted to go for the feel for airsoft skirmishes without depleting my entire life's savings. You're right about the Sumpfmuster camo of course, it's not the same as -43 or -44.
Having lived in Germany for several years and actually visiting concentration camps, I have a thing about wearing swastikas. I painstakingly removed the embroidered swastikas from the cap and breast eagles, and if you notice, the belt buckle is not Heer, it's postwar Bundeswehr.
That being said, I just love the German uniforms and camos from the era, so I have fun with it.

Trench_raider
04-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Fair enough.
I personally do not have issues with wearing un-altered insignia but I respect those who make the decision not to wear a swastika.
I've spoken to WW2 rrenactors from Germany who have to do that to their kit by law. One of the members of my Heer unit is a relocated German who still has his stuff "de-nazified" as well so I've seen this before.

Your point on the helmet is well taken. Even replica helmets are expensivish and not worth the cost if you are just airsofting. And as I have said to other reenactors, even a bad helmet can be hidden under a cover! :p

Finally...

a lot lighter, which is good since the rest of the gear isn't.

I can certainly relate to that statement!!!

TR

Tiger D
04-21-2008, 09:06 PM
That's exactly why I have helmet covers, aside from the fact that I like to keep it clean and shiny like Mir mentioned.
Thanks.

jeremywills
04-22-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm glad theres others willing to do this for Airsoft. I have really wanted to get something WWII related going at some point. Ok its really an excuse to get new toys and a new loadout but now I know there might be a few others willing to play along so I might have to get myself that MP40 and K98 after all and start to collect a basic infantry loadout ;)

AustinWolv
04-22-2008, 01:01 AM
I have a Garand to shoot you all with. :)

Soria
04-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Blasted Ammi and your semi-autos!

Nubbles
04-22-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm glad theres others willing to do this for Airsoft. I have really wanted to get something WWII related going at some point. Ok its really an excuse to get new toys and a new loadout but now I know there might be a few others willing to play along so I might have to get myself that MP40 and K98 after all and start to collect a basic infantry loadout ;)
I'll join! I'm looking for a thompson anyway....:p

Prometheus606
05-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Very nice... perhaps it needs some "wear" to make it look battle tested but overall I am envious!