PDA

View Full Version : Bitter End Mesh Goggles

Bear
04-08-2008, 11:42 PM
After reading the first post of this thread: http://www.oplionclaws.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1970 and seeing them here: http://www.st6-airsoft.com/mesh_goggles.htm I'm thinking of getting a pair for T&E purposes.

Anyone heard of these on the grapevine?

AustinWolv
04-09-2008, 12:30 AM
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=51847
http://www.spokaneairsoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=50202

shadow1198
04-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Hmm, I'm curious about this as well. I've never liked the idea of mesh goggles due to the inherent downsides with them. However, the fact that they make custom options for stuff like Wiley SG-1's is an extremely attractive idea, assuming the quality and safety is still up to par. The main thing I would be concerned about is the fact that they say the mesh is painted. I have seen posts in the past where people have noted that certain mesh goggle's paint would flake off from hard impacts, in effect causing the possibility that miniscule debris could still enter your eyes. In addition to that, depending on the velocity I would suspect it might be possible at close range with a high velocity gun even within TASO rules that the mesh might be rigid enough that bb's could still crack into much smaller pieces and that the debris could potentially enter past the mesh. These are the two things I'm concerned about. The ability to still have cool looking goggles/glasses (Wiley for example) while also never having to deal with fogging again is an enticing thought.

shadow1198
04-09-2008, 12:45 AM
You're the man Wolv! Thanks for those links, you're quick! ;) After searching TASO and judging by a previous post you made on the subject, I take it regardless that TASO still will not consider ANY form of mesh goggles? Man, I wish I could find some low profile goggles/sealing glasses (like SG-1's for example) that were truly fog resistant and without a fan.

Vince
04-09-2008, 08:04 PM
I actually looked at these last night and I kinda wanna buy some.

This sounds dumb, but, how does your eye resolve the mesh at that close a range? Do you just see right through it, or, is it like looking through a fence?

AustinWolv
04-09-2008, 08:14 PM
I actually looked at these last night and I kinda wanna buy some.

This sounds dumb, but, how does your eye resolve the mesh at that close a range? Do you just see right through it, or, is it like looking through a fence?
You've looked through an Aimpoint or other optic with a killflash, right? Probably no different in that you don't even notice it.

I'm sure these things can stand up to hits. It is BB fragments directly off of them or off ricochets playing in MOUT situations that has me cautious.

The only testing that would be satisfactory to shut down fragmenting concern would be to shoot virtually all the brands of BBs out there with replicas of various muzzle energies to see at which energy the BBs would fragment. Likely do it at a set distance of 10feet since that seems to be the closest engagement distance allowed at airsoft ops when looking across the country.

noob4life
04-10-2008, 12:59 AM
Just get a pair of safety glasses, from your local Home-Depot. there much cheaper, you can see more, and they have never failed me before.

Bear
04-10-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm sure these things can stand up to hits. It is BB fragments directly off of them or off ricochets playing in MOUT situations that has me cautious.

The only testing that would be satisfactory to shut down fragmenting concern would be to shoot virtually all the brands of BBs out there with replicas of various muzzle energies to see at which energy the BBs would fragment. Likely do it at a set distance of 10feet since that seems to be the closest engagement distance allowed at airsoft ops when looking across the country.
Between everyone who regularly shows at TXPB and Harwood and their replicas, this might be doable. Maybe not in one weekend, but over a month or so we could probably get a lot of ammo types and velocities covered.

Just get a pair of safety glasses, from your local Home-Depot. there much cheaper, you can see more, and they have never failed me before.
Safety/shooting glasses do not fully seal. They are also not approved at most fields this community plays at. Therefore, they are not an option.

AustinWolv
04-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Bear, you can be the test-master. :)

noob, will you proofread your posts? "They are", not "there", is the correct words you are seeking in your post above.

Bear
04-10-2008, 03:44 AM
Bear, you can be the test-master. :)

I'll do what I can. I'd really like these goggles to be useable and live up to the hype. Once I get a pair in I'll try and come out to TXPB, but someone else might have to take them out to Harwood since I work weekends.:cussing:

ichainsaw
04-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Might I be the first one to point out that these goggles are from a brand called "Bitter End".

Nubbles
04-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Might I be the first one to point out that these goggles are from a brand called "Bitter End".
Yeah... that's kinda creepy if you ask me.:eek:

cclark1985
04-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I sent an email requesting the purchase of a pair of the Sport mesh goggles. When/if they arrive, I will test them at 330 and ~530 fps (waiting on the chrono) with .25 g killer beez, .25 g airsoft elites, and .36 g Straight bbs.

AustinWolv
04-13-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm interested in checking those out when you get them please. Some users are speaking up on some other forums, so I queried them about their take on them, especially in urban environments where BB fragmentation is more likely to occur.

Bear
04-19-2008, 01:30 AM
I have just ordered a pair of the Bull Dogg model Bitter End Goggles. I'll keep the community posted when I receive them.

Bear
04-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Just received my BE BullDogg goggles:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Duh_Bear/Review%20Pics/021.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Duh_Bear/Review%20Pics/024.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Duh_Bear/Review%20Pics/022.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Duh_Bear/Review%20Pics/023.jpg

Very sturdy construction and seem to be well made. The mesh doesn't really affect your vision like you think it would.

Tiger D
05-01-2008, 08:35 AM
They look really sharp. Do you plan on painting them with a special camo? I'd love to see them if you do.

Bear
05-01-2008, 02:49 PM
I plan to leave them as is for now.

Vince
05-12-2008, 05:50 PM
I just ordered a pair of the Airstrikes.

If they suck, I'm giving them to AW.

Vince
05-16-2008, 12:43 AM
They came today.

Not bad, but we'll see what happens.

AustinWolv
05-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Found myself a pair also. Seem pretty durable and stout, but not sure how comfortable I would be wearing them in a MOUT environment. Woodlands seems less risky to me.

AustinWolv
06-08-2008, 06:48 AM
I tested out the pair I have at TACPB yesterday for the first woodlands skirmish of the day. Because of their strength, I felt protected and wasn't worried. They definitely don't fog. ;)

However, I didn't like using them because they messed with my eyes, as I kept focusing on the mesh and then re-focusing past the mesh. Thus, my eyes started to feel strained.

Others who use them don't seem to have that problem or haven't reported it.

If anyone is interested in buying this pair, let me know.

MrZero
06-09-2008, 07:39 AM
I was talking to my wife last night about the eye strain you got Saturday from the goggles (she worked for several years recently as a vision therapist). When I described the goggles she rolled her eyes and said she was not suprised at all. Having something that close to your eyes that can potentially be focused on will certainly cause some people to bounce back and forth while wearing them. It'll be interesting to see if that happens to more people as these become popular.

AustinWolv
06-29-2008, 04:59 PM
While they didn't work out for me, maybe they'll work out for others and thus, I have to give credit to the guy behind Bitter End Goggles. He's a gentleman and was always very responsive and helpful during the transaction.