PDA

View Full Version : SAW vest

DarthRobby
03-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Does anyone know a good vest for a suppressive gunner using the M249 SAW para?
I will be laying down most the time (I think, you would know better then me) and I would like to have room for my magazines.
Also, not as big a deal, but I would like it to have a belt draw pistol, because I will be laying down, and it would be hard to use cross draw.
Thanks!

AustinWolv
03-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Are you planning on running mostly stick mags or box mags?

If you run a box mag, you only really need one because to reload it, you just pop the side cover and pour the BBs in. Then, carry a couple stick mags as backup in case the box mag fails you for any reason.

Thus, without that load, you could get away with a very basic rig consisting with just a pistol belt/suspenders with a couple mag pouches and a way to carry water (canteen or CamelBak)......

Mir
03-17-2008, 09:39 PM
But if you want to save money in the long run, if you plan on buying a normal AEG, a MOLLE vest would work. You would just have to put on some more MAG pouches and you would be set.

DarthRobby
03-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Thats not a bad idea, but where would I carry my ammo?
As of right now, MOLLE is to expensive right now, but maybe later, thanks!

And I will be running box mags, and does anyone have suggestions for a good cheap vest? Just a basic rig, but I hate CamelBaks, because they taste really weird, I am not picky, but I am OCD about my water.

Thanks.

Mir
03-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Thats not a bad idea, but where would I carry my ammo?
As of right now, MOLLE is to expensive right now, but maybe later, thanks!
And I will be running box mags, and does anyone have suggestions for a good cheap vest? Just a basic rig, but I hate CamelBaks, because they taste really weird, I am not picky, but I am OCD about my water.
Thanks.

I would suggest posting your budget, tactical gear has a rather large price range. But MOLLE isn't that expensive, if you have a local Surplus store by your house they probably have some good deals.

Or you can find something like this, which is regular issue for U.S. Army.
http://cgi.ebay.com/US-Military-Fighting-Load-Carrier-Vest-Molle-II-EXTRA_W0QQitemZ140216300760QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1564 59QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
They come in multiple patterns, ACU, OD, Tan. And you can get some MOLLE 2Quart canteen pouches.

Camelbaks only taste bad if you dont care for them properly, and after a few uses or running water through them the taste will go away.

For Holding AMMO you can use any type of plastic bottle, from a flask size (fits in 5.56 pouch) to those 10 round paint ball tubes which hold just under 300 rounds (great for speed reloads of hi-caps).

DarthRobby
03-17-2008, 10:26 PM
We have a surplus store near here, in fact, a little kid got a paperweight grenade, and brought it to school! It wasn't my school, it was my little sister's school.

I never thought of using a paintball tubes! Thanks! And would using a real MOLLE suit be any different then using one used for airsoft? I mean, I know it would have a better quality, but could I buy airsoft MOLLE that work with the US army one?

And everyone else who used the camelbak I used said they didn't taste anything, as I said, I am kinda OCD.

Mir
03-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Everything should be compatible, but you get what you pay for. And there are many different "quality" products out there, ranging from different materials used and stitching.

DarthRobby
03-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Ok, I will check out the army-navy store later, possibly this Friday or Saturday.
Thanks all!

Mir
03-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Ok, I will check out the army-navy store later, possibly this Friday or Saturday.
Thanks all!

No problem, we enjoy talking about gear, and gearing up other players to play with.

DarthRobby
03-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Ok, I am going to be playing on the 29th, and I am going to get a pistol, should I just stick it in my pocket? Or should I get a holster? I don't think I will have enough money for a vest, in fact, I am not even sure I will have enough to get a holster.

LaPHtA
03-17-2008, 10:54 PM
I wouldnt worry too too much about fielding a pistol...when your primary is a SAW. If it goes down, you're going to be lugging the dead SAW with a pistol for all of about 20 seconds until you get lit up. :)

DarthRobby
03-17-2008, 11:01 PM
I mean if I get flanked, I could turn around with my pistol, but that is most likely true, and even though I will have an assistant, I dont trust my friends to follow orders

Also, how do you guys play? Do you make fireteams and stuff?

AustinWolv
03-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Teams generally run as fireteams in a squad structure.

Unaffiliated players will form up fireteams also, but sometimes run solo at their own choosing.

People, in general, play per what style they like, i.e. nobody has to play a certain way.

DarthRobby
03-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Ok, awesome, thanks!

I didn't want to show up to a skirmish having fireteams when everyone else does something else.

Is there any structure that works the best? I am starting to organize people based on the marine structure, and I have a team of hardcore players in charge, then the not so good in other fireteams, fireteam leaders working walkie talkies.

Mad Irishman
03-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Ok, here's my 2 cents. I would recommend a side arm for the same reason a sniper carries one: engagement distance. If someone gets too close you would either have to surrender, run or just let them run up on you and hope it doesn't hurt too bad. :D The only problem I would see with the paintball tubes is that if they each held 300 rds you would have to carry 10 tubes (3000 rds) to fill the box mag just one time. It's more efficient to carry an unopened bag a BBs (2500 to 3000) and just pour the whole bag into the side of the box mag. Focus on how you plan to carry water and then go from there as that should be your priority. If I'm not using a hydration pouch, I will use a mini roly poly on my riggers belt. This is designed to carry a full size Nalgene bottle. A bag of BBs can fit in the side pocket of your BDUs if your desperate.

jeremywills
03-18-2008, 12:22 AM
I have said USGI surplus Fighting Load Carrier in 3 color DCU. Got it off of Ebay with a ton of Molle pouches all over it for just under 50 bucks. Watch the bay, they pop up on there all the time and usually with some combination of pouches.

I like it better than the Combat Medical Vest I was using and I might acquire another one in Woodland or Olive drab.

The SAW pouches are nice to hold all kinds of goodies. Spare batteries, dead rag, bags of BB's etc.... and theres two sizes. One holds the realsteel 100 rounder nutsack and the other the real steel 200 round plastic box. Be aware though the Airsoft versions of these realsteel SAW magazines have the attached mag adapter with the springs and the real ones dont so the pouches are kinda hard to fit the flap over but you can do it.

AW hit the nail on the head though, the larger 200 rounder Airsoft box mag is a dream to reload on the fly on the field. The smaller 100 rounder ones are a pain in the ass to reload unless you unzip the cloth cover, drop the assembly and load it that way. Not something you can really do on the field under fire. The smaller ones only advantage is a lower profile and Im a small guy with short arms so its way easier to shoulder the gun for me and why I chose to go that route.

I bought the Specter SOP sling designed for the SAW and I absolutely love it. They are quite heavy and so its nice to have something to help ease the burden of lugging that damned thing around. A sling might be a good investment to consider.

Have fun and good luck. Fireteams and tactics are fun to work out amongst your team mates. Like they said, not everyone has the same ideals and sometimes its just best to opt solo but when everythings clicking and your teams communicating and working well together its so much more fun especially when its your side winning and not the other way around.

Cheers
Jeremy

DarthRobby
03-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Awesome, thanks, I never thought of most of that :p
Thanks for all the information guys! This has all been really useful!

jeremywills
03-18-2008, 12:28 AM
You sound like your on the right track. I wouldn't sweat it. Things will come together. Its just a game so luckily if its not quite right you get to come home and think about it, tweak it and try it again.

Bear
03-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Regarding your sidearm: if you carry one, you need a holster. Holsters are to pistols as slings are to rifles.

Regarding a SAW rig: check ebay and local surplus shops for cheapo belt & suspender rigs or MOLLE setups. You don't need the latest and greatest in fighting gear....even though you'll want it eventually.:-P

jeremywills
03-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Yep, I choose to use USGI surplus. I like contract grade gear even used as it holds up better than the cheap Airsoft/Paintball junk usually. If you want a brand new Gucci gear Saw rig, here ya go :D

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=30HH03OD&C=C1259

Way overkill for Airsoft but if you got the funds why not right? ;)

RedRaptor
03-18-2008, 02:17 AM
jeremy, if you spot one of those vests in OD, let me know. I'm thinking about replacing my chest rig now.

Darth - worst comes to worst, you could just always buy a cheap surplus ALICE holster and secure it to your belt, or even just get one of those crappy Swiss Arms or Crosman holsters Academy sells (although, frankly, the ALICE holster would be so above and beyond the other two it renders the option a moot point).

Marimba
03-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Spec-ops makes a good quality SAW pouch for not a lot of money. It will contain a 200 round M249 box mag or 6 M16 type mags. If you get a pistol, please get a pouch or holster to contain it along with a retention lanyard or a long paracord. Losing a pistol in the field sucks.

Dismount210
03-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Please don't take offense to this but I'm still trying to wrap my head around a 13 yr old hauling around a SAW. Whew, best of luck to you friend.

DarthRobby
03-18-2008, 07:10 PM
I am fairly large for my age (unfortunately in several ways) and I dont plan on moving much, and either way, it will be a pain at first, but I think it will help build upper body muscles (of which I have none of)

And what is a paracord?

Necromancer
03-18-2008, 07:25 PM
550 cord, twine, string, army yarn lol... You can get it for like a few bucks for 50ft at a surplus store. It's like tape and zipties, it comes in very handy.

Mir
03-18-2008, 08:18 PM
but I think it will help build upper body muscles (of which I have none of)

Push-ups are free.
http://www.ehow.com/how_3190_proper-push-up.html
And if you move your hands closer / farther apart you work different muscles.

DarthRobby
03-18-2008, 09:33 PM
I am horrible at pushups, I have tried, but I will try again I guess. Thanks for the link!

Lagger56
03-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Diamond push-ups are so hard(for me at least).

What kind of recoil do SAWs have?

AustinWolv
03-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Airsoft AEG SAW? None.

DarthRobby
03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
I dont know what those are.

A real SAW? Or an airsoft one? I doubt you mean airsoft.

Lagger56
03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Really? I heard that some smaller AEGs have slight recoil.

Mir
03-18-2008, 09:41 PM
What kind of recoil do SAWs have?
I assume you are talking about Airsoft SAW's, they have the same recoil (as AEG's) with more weight to carry around, but have a lot more BB's loaded.

I am horrible at pushups, I have tried, but I will try again I guess. Thanks for the link!
Yea, that pain at night is your muscles rebuilding stronger.

EDIT:
They have recoil, but its just a vibration.

DarthRobby
03-18-2008, 09:46 PM
I know about the acid, I dont care about the pain, it is just the fact that I cant do them, but I will try!

Forge
03-19-2008, 12:27 PM
DarthRobbie, let me just put this in as my very own personal opinion based on a dozen or so games that I've been able to attend. I really think it's unrealistic to expect that you will be able to bunker down and be a stationary gunner in the vast majority of the games that are played. Stationary defense is just one of the many styles of play that are regularly played, so even if once in the game day there is a game like that you will be spending most of your time lugging your SAW around in movement to contact or something similar.

Honestly I'd have to refer to the same style of advise that is usually given for those who want to enter the game as snipers: Get a regular AEG first, and play a while THEN go with a different gun after a while when you are certain you can play in the style you want.

Again, I'm no airsoft guru, the noob-shine hasnt really worn off my guns yet, but you might really consider your choice in AEGs.

DarthRobby
03-19-2008, 05:39 PM
I have had a pistol, a few AEGs and a sniper, I am not that new at airsoft, the is nowhere near my first gun!

And I know now I probably wont be able to stay in one place, thats ok! I have been lifting weights, and it is easy around 30, unless I am sorely mistaken. Thank you for the concern though!

Lagger56
03-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Maybe you could lend me some weights. lol.

Do you own an M4, any brand?

Necromancer
03-19-2008, 05:56 PM
I have had a pistol, a few AEGs and a sniper, I am not that new at airsoft, the is nowhere near my first gun!
And I know now I probably wont be able to stay in one place, thats ok! I have been lifting weights, and it is easy around 30, unless I am sorely mistaken. Thank you for the concern though!
The RS weapon weighs just over that loaded. You're looking at about 22-25 lbs or so with BB's loaded.
It's not that heavy. I've seen quite a few 14 or 15 yr olds that sling 'em. I'm sure you'll get used to it. Just know, it's not a 10 lbs rilfe. If a 5 ft nothing female can carry a RS one, you'll be fine with a replica.
Just my 2 bits...

DarthRobby
03-19-2008, 06:13 PM
And yes I own an M4, by Diboys or something like that, it was my fourth gun.

And on Friday I am 14, so awesome!

Lagger56
03-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Do you think a foregrip or a bipod is better?

Nubbles
03-19-2008, 06:27 PM
For an M4? I think a foregrip would be better, 'cause you won't really be sniping with an M4. Or you could get the foregrip bipod....

DarthRobby
03-19-2008, 07:17 PM
I dont like anything up there, but yes, I wouldn't get a bipod, if you wanted to spend money on something for your gun I would get a red dot scope.

What did I do wrong here?

jeremywills
03-19-2008, 11:23 PM
By all means, if you want to try your hand at a SAW, go for it. If its not for you its easy enough to sell or trade for something else.

Back to the topic at hand, any sort of load bearing gear or plate carrier setup will work with a SAW just fine. You really don't need a bunch of SAW pouches all over it unless you were a real world operator that had to carry alot of linked ammo around.

Any sort of vest with a SAW pouch and some regular mag pouches, probably a radio pouch and a dump pouch would serve double duty for any of your replicas.

Good luck, part of the fun is defining your own style.

DarthRobby
03-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks man, and thanks for straight out answering my question.

jeremywills
03-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Its just my opinions. Austin Wolv says it best in his signature. In Airsoft, nobody is wrong. Its a dead on accurate statement. Looking forward to seeing you on the field in the future.

DarthRobby
03-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Me to! (But read my signature)

AustinWolv
03-20-2008, 12:01 AM
jeremy, ;)

The denotative and connotative meaning of that signature is what makes it so funny.

jeremywills
03-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Roger that.

ichainsaw
03-20-2008, 10:51 PM
I definitely recommend the army navy store, they had a great selection of cheap MOLLE gear.

DarthRobby
03-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks man, I will drop over there later!