PDA

View Full Version : Plate carriers

ATX11B4
03-05-2008, 11:44 PM
I was wondering what you guys thought of the Eagle CIRAS carrier or the Warrior R.I.C.A.S. can't really make up my mind on which one I want to get.

Bear
03-06-2008, 12:20 AM
CIRAS rigs, like other systems that are built to carry both soft and hard armor, are bulky and hot. I personally recommend the Eagle Plate Carrier. It is reasonably priced and has plenty of real estate while being slightly lower profile.

ATX11B4
03-06-2008, 02:15 AM
Those cost some change though, plus the Warrior carrier comes stock with pouches. What about phantom carriers? I heard some pretty good things on those as well.

Bear
03-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Marimba on these forums has some pretty extensive experience with replica CIRAS rigs. Perhaps he'll comment.

Myself....I don't buy replica gear.

ATX11B4
03-06-2008, 03:39 AM
I don't want replica gear either because I want something to use when I got back into the Army again, but I really don't want to shell out alot of money. Cheap bastard I know.

Mir
03-06-2008, 07:20 AM
I don't want replica gear either because I want something to use when I got back into the Army again, but I really don't want to shell out alot of money. Cheap bastard I know.

For a duel purpose setup, airsoft / Army there are alot of good things out there. But I wouldn't recommend a soft / hard plate carrier, Its going to be very cumbersome and be hot as hell. And you HAVE to wear your IBA / IOTV when doing missions, and this only changes if you work in special places. I like my HSGI wasatch, but they make other type of rigs that will work fine over a IOTV / IBA and standalone.

ATX11B4
03-06-2008, 07:52 AM
...well not everyone wore IBAs in Iraq. I guess when you're on the sniper team you get away with alot of things, at least in my old unit.

Paladin
03-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Do you want to be comfortable or look cool?

Comfort = SO Tech Callahan (looks cool too). I've used mine in 100+ heat with a full load of M4'gery mags (real mags, not toys) and was comfortable. A CIRAS on the other hand would have dropped my butt like a dog in a car with the windows rolled up. It's got front and rear panels which I prefer as I can attach all my 2nd line gear to the chassis and not have to doff/don a ton of stuff to get dressed for the ball. It's also open on the sides which provides ventilation. You'll appreciate it if you move a lot. If you're a camper, it won't really matter unless you're a lard ass like me.

The HSGI Weesatch/Wasatch is a similar rig and works just as well. Front and rear panels too if you prefer it that way.

I'd suggest stopping by www.militarymorons.com and taking a look around. The owner is a good guy and writes great reviews on just the kit you're looking for. Check out his 2nd line section on the index.

Spooky1291
03-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Paraclete makes a decent plate carrier as well. I have used mine for all day games and it has remained comfortable. If you plan on using something for the military your best bet is a chest harness of some kind since, like Mir said, these days everyone is wearing the IOTV. A good place to shop is http://www.optactical.com.

Marimba
03-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Well...It all depends on what you want. A CIRAS is a hot option, both literally and figuratively. They offer a lot of MOLLE real estate. I really enjoyed my Phantom maritime ciras replica. As far as replica CIRAS' goes at the time it was the best low cost option available. If I were to buy another, I would buy the LAND version over the maritime version.

For more money, and also for even better quality, check into the Guarder RAV and CIRAS replicas...more expensive, but very worth it.

My current rig is a Paraclete Hard Plate Carrier with Cummerbund, very comfortable, very adjustable and very expensive new...but I was lucky to find a used one. For a lower cost but still excellent quality plate cattier I would recommend the Fast Attack Plate Carrier + Cummerbund that Diamondback Tactical makes. Both of them are less constricting and less hot to wear than a CIRAS.

If heat is an issue for you...purchase an Esstac Boar + Padded harness. It's an open top chest rig with internal mag pouches. Several versions are available to suit you. I owned one of those until recently and it was hands down the best rig I've ever had, with build construction unmatched by any other manufacturer. I plan on replacing it as soon as possible with a new one.

Bear's suggestion of an Eagle Plate carrier is a good one as well, just get one with a cummerbund.

Good quality gear is worth saving up for.

shadow1198
03-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Here's the FAPC: Link (http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/Fast-Attack-Plate-Carrier-P46C85.aspx) and here is the cumberbund for it: Link (http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/Fast-Attack-Rack-No-Armor-Foam-Inserts-P44C85.aspx)
Then figure a hydration bladder pouch setup, and of course all your standard pouches and that adds up to well over $200. I thought about one awhile ago as they look to be pretty low profile.
My Phantom CIRAS has worked just fine. If you are seriously considering reenlisting, I wouldn't trust Asian knockoff stuff out of principle. If that's the case, HSGI seems to be one of the more affordable companies out there and is excellent quality from what I've seen. For airsoft, I'm perfectly happy with my Asian knockoff, thank you. ;) In fact, I like the Phantom CIRAS so much, I plan on using it for IDPA 3 gun shoots when I hopefully get into that later in the year. Buying the real stuff is great and all, but I'm no longer made of money thanks to the d@mn mortgage/real estate industry. :)

Paladin
03-06-2008, 08:16 PM
....IDPA 3 gun shoots...

IDPA 3 gun shooting?

Use a CIRAS for 3 gun and you'll be at a disadvantage.

Attempt to use one during a sanctioned IDPA event and you won't be allowed to participate.

The 2008 Texas State IDPA Championship Match is being held June 7th in Greenville Texas about 45 minutes from my house. Drive up and I'll be more than happy to introduce you to the sport. I'll let you borrow one of my comp rigs if you're up for it. It's good to see people interested in the activity as it's a hell of a lot of fun.

http://www.ccidpa.org/sp_event/txs08_inf.html#SETUP

IDPA Equipment & Competition Rule Book http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

ATX11B4
03-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Some of the guys I was with favored the Blackwater I/O vest which wasn't too bad at all the only thing I didn't like about it was the buckles on the shoulders but they were removable and plus my plates never really fit all to well in the damn thing for some reason.

Well guys I appreciate all the input and help and I have took everything into consideration, so I just decided to get some cheap knock-off and just wait for my old oommate to get down with Q-course so that way he can ste....."aquire" me on.

shadow1198
03-06-2008, 10:18 PM
IDPA 3 gun shooting?
Use a CIRAS for 3 gun and you'll be at a disadvantage.
Attempt to use one during a sanctioned IDPA event and you won't be allowed to participate.
The 2008 Texas State IDPA Championship Match is being held June 7th in Greenville Texas about 45 minutes from my house. Drive up and I'll be more than happy to introduce you to the sport. I'll let you borrow one of my comp rigs if you're up for it. It's good to see people interested in the activity as it's a hell of a lot of fun.
http://www.ccidpa.org/sp_event/txs08_inf.html#SETUP
IDPA Equipment & Competition Rule Book http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

I'm not looking to compete or anything, just participate and have fun. I've been wanting to get into the IDPA for awhile, I just never seem to get around to it (I'm a procrastinator). I really appreciate the offer and will have to take you up on that sometime as I am very interested.

Hmm, as far as the CIRAS not being allowed, that I'm confused about now. I've seen several other multi gun shoots (sometimes 4 gun I believe) and it seemed like people were allowed to pretty much whear whatever. Maybe what I saw wasn't sanctioned by any group like IDPA and was simply an independent thing?

Paladin
03-06-2008, 11:03 PM
My experience has been that you can wear just about any type of mag carrier in 3 gun if it's a TAC event. Not so if it's a USPSA event.

IDPA is pistol only with strict rules that list acceptable mag carriers. TAC vests aren't allowed.

Both activities are sanctioned differently with rules applicable to each, though I've participated in 3 gun events that ran the pistol with IDPA and/or IPSC rules.

For what it's worth, I've seen few CIRAS worn in matches and the ones that wore them were noobs. The general consensus is they're too damn bulky, especially for TAC events where you may have to navigate obstacles.

The whole purpose of the CIRAS is to be able to easily dump the rig in an emergency. If you don't need the armor plates or load carrying ability, why bother wearing it? It'd be like riding a Harley Fat Boy at a motocross event. You could do it, but why...

I use the Eagle Paul Howe from SKD. I configure it with what's needed for an event and nothing more. Running lean is one of the keys to scoring (along with being a good shot under stress).

RedRaptor
03-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Huh, I was just about to post a question about plate carriers, but I guess this would be just as nice a place to ask.

Since we've talked already about the Weesatch/Wasatch in this thread, let me ask this: what's the size difference between the two, chest circumference-wise? I've got an offer for a Guarder Weesatch for $70+shipping used, but I'm not sure if I can fit into it (for the record, I wear a size Large Regular ACU top). Anyone able to tell me how it would fit?

Paladin
03-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Guarder doesn't make the Weesatch. HSGI does. They may call it that and it may resemble the Weesatch, but unless it has the HSGI label on it, it's not a Weesatch. I don't spend money on foreign knockoffs of American tactical gear. For a reason. :usa:

The Weesatch is good kit. I wouldn't know about any knockoffs.