PDA

View Full Version : Tactics!

Mantis
02-22-2008, 11:29 PM
I was wondering what are your tactics?
heres mine:
Me ~codename"MANTIS"~ and my scout ~codename"GHOST"~ set up booby traps (safe booby traps,we dont want anyone getting hurt),we set up paintball mines in certain areas on the field (our mines dont hurt you when they activate,they just spray you with paint..) and me and him bought some netting from a local sporting goods store and attached leaves from the field to it..
then we just wait for the OPFOR to show up and have a good time!:ninja:

Bear
02-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Biggest things I have seen from people who properly employ accurized weapons on the field are patience, knowing when to move, and knowing when NOT to shoot.

Mantis
02-23-2008, 01:40 AM
Good point! as every sniper should know,patience is a virtue..
have you ever had to stay in one spot for 4+ hours because there was constant enemy surveillance? I have! And let me tell you, after drinking two glasses of water...that was interesting! haha..
But those arent the only tactics me and friend use...we always operate in stealth and by the time the enemy sees us theyre either dead or just about to get shot.
I know this a little off topic but I honestly hate when newbies think that they can be a sniper because they have a high powered weapon or worse,because they think it will make them look cool in the eyes of their friends.. I wish they learn that its the weilder not the weapon.

Forge
02-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Lemme see if I get this right, you fortify your hide at the start of the skirm and then sit and wait for someone to show up?

AustinWolv
02-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Sure, why not if the hide makes sense to the objectives of the scenario? Now, just a regular move-to-contact skirmish? Most people don't have the patience and/or the desire to sit still waiting.

A sniper/spotter team's role is observation/intel as much as it is picking off targets. Sometimes it is better to stay hidden and vector in assault forces or wait for an objective target rather than just some regular rifleman.

By the way, people in this thread should remember site rule #18.

Forge
02-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Wolv, that works. My question wsa really just trying to determine where the traps were deployed. I'm not a sniper, so I wasn't sure if the objective was to fortify his position, or create a killing ground.

Mantis
02-23-2008, 04:46 PM
I get what your saying Forge.
Me and my spotter just set up three mines in places where we think they would go..plus me and printed out maps and mapped out coordinates so we know the area like the back of our scopes!
and just to be prepared we know every overhang in the area and have spots where we can fall back if the enemy spots our position.
But just so everyone knows,we dont just climb a tree like any newbie would. We use all the bush we can...we have even made a ghillie blanket.
But it does help to fortify your position in case an enemy patrol spots you.

ichainsaw
02-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Mantis, are you serious?

Shadow One
02-23-2008, 08:00 PM
My favorite tactic is what I call the Stalingrad Shot. I put my helmet on a stick and raise it above my head. The enemy might take a shot at it and if he does, I scream or swear and let the stick fall. The enemy stands up to move out, and BAM! Instant kill. The shot doesn't count if you're not wearing the helmet. Besides, it's fun as hell to see their face when you explain to them what just happened.

ichainsaw
02-23-2008, 09:00 PM
My favorite tactic is what I call the Stalingrad Shot. I put my helmet on a stick and raise it above my head. The enemy might take a shot at it and if he does, I scream or swear and let the stick fall. The enemy stands up to move out, and BAM! Instant kill. The shot doesn't count if you're not wearing the helmet. Besides, it's fun as hell to see their face when you explain to them what just happened.
That reminds me, I did that recently with my boonie hat. I held it above a fence with the barrel of my gun and it was immediately pelted with bb fire. My friend was frustrated and stepped out into the open demanding I call out and I quickly lit him up. He looked dumbfounded, so without any words exchanged between us I put the hat on my barrel, moved it up and down on the fence and he burst out in laughter. It was amazing how well it worked.

jeremywills
02-24-2008, 12:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCOZBr7pSAQ&feature=related

For those that have never seen it before its a good view I think. Theres nothing wrong in laying in wait for days if needed. Snipers are a special breed and in real life I would suck at it ;)

Airsoft sniping is obviously different in engagement and realistic effective distances but the concepts basically the same.

Bear
02-24-2008, 01:34 AM
Something to remember: there is a difference between tactics and gimmicks.

ichainsaw
02-24-2008, 09:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCOZBr7pSAQ&feature=related

For those that have never seen it before its a good view I think. Theres nothing wrong in laying in wait for days if needed. Snipers are a special breed and in real life I would suck at it ;)

Airsoft sniping is obviously different in engagement and realistic effective distances but the concepts basically the same.
Don't forget these tactics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wbVIgVi66k

Shadow One
02-24-2008, 07:50 PM
That reminds me, I did that recently with my boonie hat. I held it above a fence with the barrel of my gun and it was immediately pelted with bb fire. My friend was frustrated and stepped out into the open demanding I call out and I quickly lit him up. He looked dumbfounded, so without any words exchanged between us I put the hat on my barrel, moved it up and down on the fence and he burst out in laughter. It was amazing how well it worked.
One word: Classic. That tactic is what? Sixty years old? And it still works!

shadow1198
02-24-2008, 11:21 PM
While not necessarily for sniping only, here's a few things I've learned over the years. First off, if you can keep your position unknown to the enemy, so much the better. In keeping with that, never take any unnecessary shots and also don't get impatient and take shots that you are not positive you can make. You could give away your position and quickly be flanked from both sides. Whether it's sniping or regular assaulting, I've seen a lot of people over the years get impatient when they think they have the jump on someone, only to take a shot a bit too early and completely miss, then things can typically go south pretty quickly. It's far better to not take the shot if you are unsure rather than taking a good chance of missing and subsequently giving away your position. This is of course assuming you are performing some kind of flanking, ambushing maneuver.

Also, another thing I've learned is even if you have engaged someone, you can sometimes tell by their body language, movements, verbal commands to their teammates or what have you if they have not yet located your position. If that's the case and they cannot locate you, don't get impatient and pull out quick. Using natural cover to your advantage is great, though slow movements are equally important as well. If, for example, you are well covered and not directly visible in say a highly wooded area, they might not be able to see you but, generally a quick movement in the distance in an otherwise stationary environment is like a homing beacon.

Mantis
02-25-2008, 10:13 PM
well said shadow1198!

Darkside
02-26-2008, 10:02 AM
I don't know how well the "sniper" role is applicable in air soft for me atm. I am trying to get money to get a really good long range gun weather it is upgrading my old one or buying a new one. But ATM the scope on my gun has proven time and time again to be a valuable asset, it allows me to tell who is who at range and relay that info to everyone else.

So right now im more of a "scout" you could say.

Also, I find its better to work in 2-man sniper-spotter teams, although the spotter wont really help that much with shooting in airsoft. The extra cover, company, and eyes help a bunch. I am working on repairing my ghillie right now, and as soon as im done with that im gonna have to get my spotter one to, and ill tell you a 2 man stealth team can hold up a lot of people for a long time.

Mantis
02-26-2008, 11:15 PM
exactly Darkside... I always work in a two man team

tweek
03-21-2008, 11:49 AM
what i like to do is take trick noise makers (bomb bags, small fire works, ect.) and hide them on a trail that i know the enemy travels on and wait for someone to set them off. when they do set them off most of the time they just stand there and try to figure out what the hell just happened then i shoot them.

Bear
03-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Tweek, please review Rule 18 regarding proper grammar and punctuation: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/rules.php

Also, LSA does not condone the use of pyrotechnics.

Hawkeye
03-21-2008, 02:55 PM
yeah I like the idea of setting up mines and claymores but I'm the type of person that does the spec ops and stealth stuff.

I think the best thing I've done is hid in some bushes with just a little bit of my barrel sticking out and as people ran by they got shot either in the ankle, shin, or knee cap.

xDieter736x
03-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Tactics, eh? Well in my unfortunately short-lived term as a sniper (I accured the least kills, but probably had the most fun) I found that scouting is really where it's at. Woodland areas are the best for sniping, especially at Tactical PB (the place with the castle?): I would flank from one side to another, alone of course, and come up from behind enemy lines. Of course, I was breathing hard and my scope was unzeroed and I would miss, if everything was perfect, I'd have destroyed the entire enemy group :rolleyes: . Long story short, sneak alone or with one other stealthy person, flank, shoot, repeat multiple times for victory :p

tweek
03-24-2008, 12:49 PM
well in my opinion the best place to set up is in the woods or heavy brush right on the edge of an open field or trail where the enemy has to go through regularly

Bear
03-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Tweek, please review Forum Rule 18 regarding proper grammar and punctuation: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/rules.php