PDA

View Full Version : Acu

Pheonix
02-20-2008, 07:47 PM
All right i hope this is in the right fourm but if it isn't please tell me.

In your opinion do you think that ACU is the perfect cammo for all situations, some situations, or it doesn't work at all?

Naveronski
02-20-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm sure a search would reveal what you're looking for.

That said, I've been issued it, and it doens't really work. WC worked better in the enviroments around here.

I do like the cut more, it's more comfortable to wear and the extra pockets are handy.

Mir
02-20-2008, 08:12 PM
ACU is not the perfect camouflage solution at all, it does have its advantages however. But the advantages ACU overs other types of camouflage are diffrent for what you use ACU for, army / airsoft etc...

For a airsofter / civilian I think they are great, they are rather light, don't rip easy and have ALOT of Velcro to attach things with, that is if you don't get a crappy Chinese knockoff. However the dark green area's of the ACU fade quickly and the colors become washed out after long use. I do like the MARPAT design and think it will suit you better for Texas (The colors of woodland marpat). But I like the pocket's and Velcro of the ACU's more.

AustinWolv
02-20-2008, 09:10 PM
I agree that MARPAT works better for airsoft locally than ACU.

For a design similar to the ACU, check out the Tru-Spec TRUs.

RedRaptor
02-20-2008, 10:07 PM
ACU - feels great, but doesn't work worth crap.

Go with TruSpec TRUs in Desert or Woodland MARPAT, depending on where you play. Getting some TRUs in Multicam is an even better option.

Bear
02-20-2008, 10:26 PM
There is no such thing as one perfect camouflage pattern for every situation. The Canadians and the Marines got it right with two different digital patterns for different environments. That being said, I have heard from teammates that the ACU's are extremely comfortable. I'll be getting a set just for kicks.

Marimba
02-20-2008, 10:48 PM
ACU is very comfortable and the locations/styles of pockets are great. ACU was actually designed to work against the desert/scrub brush of Iraq. When it's a bit dirty it works great in it's intended role.

All camo helps a bit during play, but really what gives you away is not the camo pattern you are wearing but the amount of movement you incur.

Buy what you like the look of or can afford.

Mir
02-20-2008, 10:59 PM
ACU is very comfortable and the locations/styles of pockets are great. ACU was actually designed to work against the desert/scrub brush of Iraq. When it's a bit dirty it works great in it's intended role.
All camo helps a bit during play, but really what gives you away is not the camo pattern you are wearing but the amount of movement you incur.
Buy what you like the look of or can afford.

I agree:
Here is a great example:

ACU in IRAQ:
http://mikonos.globat.com/~joeworld-online.com/news/uploads/fig_3__ach_and_acu.jpg

ACU Clean:
http://www4.army.mil/OCPA/uploads/large/ACU2004-06-14.jpg

Massive Difference.

Soria
02-20-2008, 11:06 PM
That being said.....you don't nessicarily need new digital camo to blend in.....woodland though now obsolete works far better than I ever expected it would. Tiger Stripe (American Version) works well as does German Flecktarn. Look around, find what you like, and go for it.

Naveronski
02-21-2008, 07:52 AM
don't rip easy and have ALOT of Velcro to attach things with,

Two points: The crotch blows out easier than BDU's. I blew out a pair that I'd had for maybe 6 months. Also, the velcro wears out faster than I'd like. If I had the option, I'd stick with sewn on patches. I mean, how often do you change your name or your service?

Mir
02-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Two points: The crotch blows out easier than BDU's. I blew out a pair that I'd had for maybe 6 months. Also, the velcro wears out faster than I'd like. If I had the option, I'd stick with sewn on patches. I mean, how often do you change your name or your service?

Did you have confirmed issued ACU or another brand? The crotch blow out was a issue during Gen 1 ACU's, I have seen it happen, but I have not had a issue with having multiple pairs over 1.5 years while wearing in the field. And I find the cases easy to fix and few and far in between. Yes, I do think the Velcro wears out quickly in certain areas. But no one says you cant sewn on name / service if your a civilian, but its not authorized in the army.

Naveronski
02-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Yes, mine were issued to me. No, I don't know what gen they are.

And I know it's not authorized, or else I would have done it.

Mir
02-21-2008, 09:04 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2007-11-26-uniforms_N.htm

Velcro issues for name / service led me to buy tape for all my uniforms and just leave it on and wash with it. I have heard people get strips of metal put in them so they dont "crinkle" seems like a good idea.

Naveronski
02-21-2008, 01:07 PM
I hadn't heard of the metal strip idea, but it sounds good.

shadow1198
02-21-2008, 02:52 PM
While everyone hates on it, unfortunately one of the most effective camo patterns I've seen for woodland/brush area like we see a lot in Texas is Real Tree. That stuff works insanely well, too bad it isn't "tactical" looking, and I still would not be caught dead in it regardless. ;) Multicam seems to be incredibly effective as well, though from what little I have seen, in heavily dark green type woodland areas it doesn't seem to be quite as effective as some other patterns like marpat. I don't own any multicam items though, so if anyone has found their experience to be different, please feel free to correct me.

Dingo51122
02-21-2008, 04:37 PM
I use ACU camo and I have found that i works best in lighter environments like grass. It also works well if you are standing in the sun because of it's lighter color. It still works in the woods, but not as well as MARPART.

RedRaptor
02-21-2008, 05:44 PM
"Crotch blowout" on ACUs - been there, gotta fix that. :D

Pheonix
02-21-2008, 06:59 PM
I have some cheap acu but i want to buy some good quality marpat also. I was going to order it from http://www.bdu.com/ unless any of you know some awesome more local sights

ichainsaw
02-21-2008, 07:56 PM
If you are going for the camouflage factor, do not go with ACU unless you intend on playing here:
http://www.pinktentacle.com/images/neo_ruins_2.jpg

I used to have a set of ACUs I bought from the army surplus store which was going out of business to replace my woodland camo. I tested them out against many a backdrop and I found that it was not really effective. I have since sold my ACUs to my friend for double the price I bought them for (I got a set for only $25) due to the fact that they didn't fit me any better than my aging woodland camo and I wasn't real partial to how it made me stick out like I was not even wearing camouflage. My cousin's MARPAT, and the MARPAT I have seen on the field works pretty well. I have been trying to buy some genuine marine MARPAT from the ROTC at my school, hopefully I can get my hands on some before my woodland gets too tight on me.

Anyway, unless you make your ACU all nasty and dirty it will look like this:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/acu-pic02.jpg

Oh, and by the way...some of that Realtree stuff looks amazing. Although you probably could not expect it to be used universally like military patterns. ceck it out: http://www.realtree.com/camo/

Boose
02-21-2008, 08:41 PM
I agree that it matters where you are playing, ACU is probably great in urban areas, for woodland areas I use flecktarn. Its dark and if you stay in the shadows it's very difficult to see.

General Lee
02-21-2008, 11:43 PM
I guess I'm alone in loving the pattern of the ACU. My personal experience and that of my team mates is that it blends in better than anything else in the Hill Country, with our combonation of low cedars and tall dry grass. Usually, when playing other team members, we spot eachother by seeing heads or guns. I recently took out one of my Designated Marksmen without ever seeing any more than his head because the ACU blended in so well. That being said, if I was going to play in Piney Woods or some other darker enviroment, I'd go with regular woodland BDU's. Also, the ACU isn't the best for night games as it's so light.

Dingo51122
03-19-2008, 03:42 PM
I also use ACU and fing that it is perfect for use in the tall grass of the hill country, but i will say that i have used it at night and was hard to spot.

shakman
03-19-2008, 09:00 PM
ACU + tall, dead grass at TacPB == FAIL! Speaking from lots and lots of personal experience with ths combination, ACU is horrid at masking your silhouette in that sort of environment. You're better off with some sort of desert pattern (desert DPM, desert MARPAT, DCU, etc.) than ACU.

I mostly wear it now because of the cut of the uniform and it's ability to breathe well.

jeremywills
03-19-2008, 10:30 PM
You can get the ACU cut/construction in a variety of patterns now. I've been thinking about picking up a set in Woodland and DCU.

ichainsaw
03-20-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm sort of liking the multicam these days. It is not the perfect pattern like many people say it is, but it is the middle ground between the very light ACU and very dark Woodland. Not only is it a middle ground in color, it is a hybrid pattern. Small, organic shapes opposed to large organic shapes or small digital shapes. I own a set of each kind, so I am not speaking out of theory or observation.

kinda sorta proving my point:
http://i25.tinypic.com/2lvmddi.png

Mir
03-21-2008, 11:06 AM
No camouflage pattern will always do the job. But, taking small steps to minimize your silhouette / visibility goes a lot longer then what camouflage pattern you are wearing.

-Not moving, human eye is awesome at detecting movement against objects that are not moving. The only thing that I have seen to work is moving how a sniper would if people are scanning the area. (VERY SLOWLY) you can do it crawling or from a sitting position, it give you alot of time to think about what your doing and the human eye cant detect it very well if your moving very slowly.
-Positioning, those pictures show people out in the open with minimal shadow and brush cover, I bet if they stand back into the brush behind them the increased shadow and limited visibility due to brush would make all 3 camouflage patterns have nearly the same effectivness.
-High visibility / low visibility, you will always be fighting this, moving a lot gives you speed and some tactical advantages, but you become highly visible. Or you can set a ambush and fortify you positions and setup concealment and have minimal visibility, however this may sacrifice how much you can see as well.

I say all of this, because I hear a lot of how ACU sucks, and how other patterns are better etc... But if you take the time to stop, find a good spot, and apply basic concealment techniques, you become extremely effective regardless of your camouflage pattern.

ichainsaw
03-26-2008, 09:38 AM
No camouflage pattern will always do the job. But, taking small steps to minimize your silhouette / visibility goes a lot longer then what camouflage pattern you are wearing.

-Not moving, human eye is awesome at detecting movement against objects that are not moving. The only thing that I have seen to work is moving how a sniper would if people are scanning the area. (VERY SLOWLY) you can do it crawling or from a sitting position, it give you alot of time to think about what your doing and the human eye cant detect it very well if your moving very slowly.
-Positioning, those pictures show people out in the open with minimal shadow and brush cover, I bet if they stand back into the brush behind them the increased shadow and limited visibility due to brush would make all 3 camouflage patterns have nearly the same effectivness.
-High visibility / low visibility, you will always be fighting this, moving a lot gives you speed and some tactical advantages, but you become highly visible. Or you can set a ambush and fortify you positions and setup concealment and have minimal visibility, however this may sacrifice how much you can see as well.

I say all of this, because I hear a lot of how ACU sucks, and how other patterns are better etc... But if you take the time to stop, find a good spot, and apply basic concealment techniques, you become extremely effective regardless of your camouflage pattern.
Mir hit it square on the head. See how the terran space marine is positioned behind the tree? He is more camoflauged than any of them. Although he doesn't need to hide if he were playing against us.

The only problem I find with that, is most of the time if you are playing airsoft when you hide you are in some close quarters combat. If you are on the ground, a conflicting pattern would really give you away.

more after the jump.

Pheonix
03-31-2008, 04:47 PM
sort of what i chain saw said, multicam is pretty good but it has an akward kind of marsh green that sticks out on rock or tan grass. but other than that i like my new marpat and multicam

TY2D2
04-01-2008, 03:30 AM
I like my realtree. :cool:

jeremywills
04-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I'll have to say I was quite surprised this past weekend out at Killsofts place which is your typical Texas Hill Country terrain Samus and I both got surrendered by Dead December in his ACU.

He found this spot on some rocks under a patch of some cedars and like MIR was just saying earlier in this thread, the slight shadow of that cedar with the combination of rock and dead grass right now made for the perfect spot for him to be prone. By the time I realized he was there we were about 15 feet from him and he smiled and says surrender :angry:

The key thing was he was laying as still as possible and said he was trying to control his breathing as best as he could. Again, like already stated, not only does the camo pattern help but finding a decent spot and utilizing concealment techniques works. He could have easily shot us when we were a bit further down the hill but he wanted the surrender so he had to be very diligent to not move or breathe to give himself away.

I wont repeat what I said because of it being a public forum but it was something like that bleepity bleep crap works on rocks at least ;)