PDA

View Full Version : Requirements on shooting glasses.

demo9
02-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Hey there fellow airsofters,

I was reading through the TASO rules and came across the section regarding eye protection. I have a question as to whether my Oakley SI M-frames would be allowed. The lenses wrap around my face and are snug while maintaing a close fit to my skin. (I prefer the M-frame Heater lenses because of this) According to the way I read on the TASO rules it seems that anything that meets or exceeds ANSI standards are allowable. However the classes are at the discretion of the individual field. Are these allowable if paired with some sort of additional face protection such as a neoprene face mask? I figured the experts might have some feedback for me. I am trying to keep my gear lightweight but maintain good protection.

I am going to do some testing wih a variety of face protection elements and will be posting my results. If anyone would like to volunteer materials to be tested please let me know. Also if there is a product that you would like to see tested for the face and head, let me know as well. I will try to test all the materials to failure if possible.

Demo9 out...

shakman
02-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I will defer the final judgement call to the local TASO rep, but generally, it's up to the field owner to allow or disallow shooting glasses (or any non-sealing goggles) on their field. For example, both Texas Paintball and Tactical Paintball mandate full-sealing goggle type eye protection. I don't believe your neoprene mask and Oakley SI combo will qualify as full-sealing.

In the past, regular non-sealing ANSI-rated shooting glasses were allowed during gameplay at private land skirmishes/OPs (Hunters airsoft.) Unfortunately, I don't believe any of the frequented fields we are currently using allow non-sealing goggles.

AustinWolv
02-16-2008, 10:32 AM
shakman nailed it.

The only thing I will add is that Oakley M-frames indeed meet the impact resistance we require. (ANSI Z87.1+)
There are several local players that have them and used them in the past at fields that allow them.

It is up to the field owner to require fully-sealing or not. The M-frames are obviously not fully-sealing.

demo9
02-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Good to know that piece of information, thanks for such quick responses. Now I have an excuse to get new goodies from the Oakley outlet in San Marcos.

Buck
03-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Ah crap. Thanks for asking this question Demo, now I know to bring goggles no matter what. I personally prefer shooting glasses over goggles but rules are rules and me not following them results in me not playing.

Forge
03-18-2008, 10:22 AM
There's also an Oakley store in the Round rock outlet mall. They had some goggles on sale the other day when I was in there, but they were all skiing type, not really suited for the field.

otang
03-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Crown has some Oakley's that have some nice LED's (I think, if not, they should). They also make him look like Master Chief. You shouldn't have problems finding them.