PDA

View Full Version : V7 Gearbox is a PIA to dissasemble

jeremywills
01-03-2008, 12:49 AM
The title says all folks. We decided to try and attempt to upgrade Samus'es M14 tonight and lets just say that V7 mechbox isn't exactly all that fun to take apart. Sadly I think he didn't align the Sector gear right because when he put it all back together and tried to pull the trigger it locked up.
The goal was to drop a 120 mainspring and possibly a tightbore tonight. Pulled the stock bore and the classic army ones had a different notching for the hopup unit to mesh with it. So he opted against that idea tonight, we wound up buying the spring and metal bushings but no spring guide. We didn't know until we had taken that cursed thing apart what it had, sadly it was plastic. Might as well save this for another day until he has all the right parts. We put all the stock factory stuff back in but like I said, we fumbled something up.
We get to tear it down again tommorow, yea! Worst case he can use my other M4 if we don't get it going again.
Anyone here have any V7 hands on.
http://www.airsoftcommunity.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=115036
http://www.airsoftcore.com/forums/?showtopic=1683
These are a few various guides we utilized.

T-box
01-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Messing up stuff like that makes me want to stay away from opening my gun up, I'll just leave it to the pros until I start learning something about disassembly.

RedRaptor
01-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Check your shimming, since you did replace the bushings. It's a critical part of the reassembly process, and was what caused my box to lock up when I reassembled my SCAR.

Also, make sure your battery is charged. :p

AustinWolv
01-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Sadly I think he didn't align the Sector gear right because when he put it all back together and tried to pull the trigger it locked up.
Highly doubt those are related. Take a look at the FAQ to the left with the question about gear timing as to why.

Excellent links to Ver7 mechbox guides. Great find. I'm not sure if you noticed, but this would have been helpful also: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=111

Pulled the stock bore and the classic army ones had a different notching for the hopup unit to mesh with it.
Exactly correct, as the TM M14 has a specific barrel that has notches in different location than all other AEGs. You need to buy a tightbore that specifically states it is for the M14 or can modify existing AEG barrels by adding in those notches. Take a look at this link and see how M14 barrels are specifically called out:
http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?cat=Accurate%20Barrels%20for%20AEGs
Then, there is a barrel where they added both sets of notches, so it would fit the M14, as well as regular AEGs.
http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=KM-AEP1589R_cat_Accurate%20Barrels%20for%20AEGs

We didn't know until we had taken that cursed thing apart what it had, sadly it was plastic.
No need to be sad about it. The stock one will be fine. Too many automatically assume they need to upgrade everything in the mechbox or that since something is plastic that it won't last.......TM parts actually hold up pretty nicely to M120-level upgrades.

Anyone here have any V7 hands on.
Sure have.

As RedRaptor said, the mechbox locking up has to do with shimming nine times out of ten, assuming the battery is properly charged and motor leads have been assembled to the correct motor posts in terms of polarity (red is positive). Be aware that the AGM M14 reversed the battery connection for whatever reason, so the polarity is actually reversed compared to the conventional method that every other AEG manufacturer with a brain uses.
You can read about that here: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6892&highlight=chinese

jeremywills
01-03-2008, 07:57 AM
I should have Clarified this is an Echo 1. So far it seems most like a Marui. The guide we found online seems like it was from a G and G I think. The beauty of having to re do it again is you learn from it. I guess its not really all that hard, its just wierd because everythings sitting on the outside instead of all in there.

Im sure the plastic guides fine but if we are going to be in there again might as well change it all out for the extra insurance. You never know. Many thanks on the links to the M14 barrel thing. We entertained the idea of buying the longer bore and cutting it to the right length making our own notches, but Im sure factory cuts would be much better in the long run.

It was late last night and I was just thinking it might be the sector gear. One of the shims might have slipped or reversal latch spring might have jumped, all we can do is take a look at it and try again.

I know Samus will appreciate this information.

Cheers All.
Jeremy

Samus
01-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Yes, I do appreciate the information, thank you. By the time we realized we couldn't do the job right last night, and I reassembled the gun, it was already very late, and I'd had a long day. I was very careful about the shims, though. Echo1 had shimmed the gears from the factory, and I made damn sure that they didn't get lost or moved from the gear axles they were on. When I disassemble it again this afternoon, I will have to take them off to clean the gears up properly, so I'll have to keep them safe and mark where they came from.

I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thanks again for the advice thus far.

Necromancer
01-03-2008, 02:03 PM
See...now you had me all leary about upgrading the TM myself for the first time and you have a different model. WTH man lol. Well, I just put in my order today and I'll have to go through the task of upgrading it when I finally take her home. Hope I don't mess anything up, but I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out with all the info on here.

jeremywills
01-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Most of the JG/Echo stuff seems to be direct rip offs of the Marui's. Fine by me. Im sure we just missed something simple.

AustinWolv
01-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I made damn sure that they didn't get lost or moved from the gear axles they were on. When I disassemble it again this afternoon, I will have to take them off to clean the gears up properly, so I'll have to keep them safe and mark where they came from.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, make sure to reshim the gears. Putting them back the way they were from the factory, if that is what seems to be implied, does not mean the mechbox will be shimmed properly as there are dimensional differences when you put aftermarket parts in compared to stock parts. That is true even across using one brand of aftermarket part to the next brand of aftermarket part.
This should help:
http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/faq.php?faq=upgrade#faq_shimming

jeremywills
01-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Success. Im thinking he just didn't have the motor aligned right. I don't honestly know why it locked up reusing the factory parts last night. Tonight however we finally wound up getting metal bushings and a 120 spring in there after all. It definately needed the thicker shims with the new bushings. The amount of play was ridiculous without the additional ones. It seems overwhelming the first go around but once you do it a few times the V7 is really not all that bad. Samus did pickup a V3 metal spring guide and from what we had read online they said it was a V3 type but it turns out its not. Perhaps the Marui but on the Echo neither the V2 or V3 types work. No where I've seen though advertises for sale a V7 specific spring guide so we just left the plastic one in there because we had too. An email has been sent to Echo 1 for clarification what that exactly is.

Now all thats left is to get it chronoed to see what its doing.