PDA

View Full Version : G&P CQB Kit, should I get it?

jeremywills
01-02-2008, 12:38 AM
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=1591

Thats the link at ASGI to the kit. I came across an ad over at ASR for it and have been talking to the guy. I can get it for under 300 shipped. He pretty much bought it with the intentions of getting a motor and gearbox for it and has just never gotten around to it and now has decided he doesn't want to go that route after all. He claims its like new condition and the pictures appear to be just that.

Basically his loss can be my gain. Everything inside of my bones says buy it ASAP but I don't want to make a rash decision on impulse. So a moment of pause might be in order. I have no personal experience with G&P products. Are they pretty decent? This is mainly a cosmetic decision for the moment. I wanted to replace my plastic body on the JG and get a crane stock for it as well. This kit really can kill both birds with one stone and I get extras out of the deal. Im already wired up to the rear and pretty much will just drop the current JG motor and mechbox into this if I go for it. It would at least make the kit functional.

My ultimate goal is to just bite the bullet and spend the coinage for the Systema drop in V2 complete gearbox. I think in the long run a metal kit like this and going the Systema internals route would be a killer combo for many years down the pipe.

So what say you guys? Should I bite or is there anything really negative about the G&P kits that I should keep looking elsewhere. I just can't see myself eventually breaking down for the Systema stuff unless it were to be housed in something solid. Im just worried one of these day Im playing with fire having plastic bodied guns. Its bound to happen I drop or stumble over it one of these days.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

AustinWolv
01-02-2008, 12:46 AM
I have only fixed a G&P complete AEG, but have not owned one. From what I recall from various reading, their externals are really nice. I was less than impressed with G&P internals, but you don't have that situation. ;)

ichainsaw
01-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Hey, it can't be worse than the JG body. $100 off is a really nice deal. I think I am just restating what you are thinking ;).

Spooky1291
01-02-2008, 09:13 AM
I have a G&P M249 and I have been very impressed with the quality of their products. They make solid guns. If it is what you really want then I would say go for it.

jeremywills
01-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Yea the guy said he has had alot of interest in it. Doesn't surprise me. I contacted him first so I have first shot. Im going to go ahead and do it. Something I should have done much sooner. Thanks for the comments. I think the entire kits the way to go than buying sections of it here and there.

Mad Irishman
01-02-2008, 04:16 PM
I think you will like it. I have a G&P body and really liked it better than the CA it replaced. Post some pics when you get it!

HammerHead
01-02-2008, 07:31 PM
I have a G&P KAC RAS II prototype replica mounted to my second SPM16. It's a solid piece of kit that I've been impressed with, for the most part. It wasn't designed perfectly, however and required a bit of Dremel work to convince it to fit my Guarder HKM4 receiver set and the SP's receiver to my satisfaction.

As it appears you plan to purchase a kit that includes a receiver set, I'm inclined to believe you'll be happy with it and won't face some of the challenges I had fitting mine. Though you may encounter what we've locally dubbed the "tunking" headache associated with inserting a gearbox into that receiver kit. But that's only a possibility.

jeremywills
01-03-2008, 01:08 AM
I made the decision, I am getting this kit. I think it will be worth the effort. Now I'll have to watch for one of the group buys in the future. Systema Mechboxes are cheaper from over there than from over here. Maybe I can snag one then at a reasonable price. My current one will work for now. Thanks again for the comments/advice.

RedRaptor
01-03-2008, 01:38 AM
FYI, Airsoft Advantage does monthly WGC Shop buys so you don't have to pay as much for shipping or worry about customs. They're a good store in their own right, too - got a TM Hi-Capa 5.1 from them for $120-ish shipped in about 4 days, plus they have a member "point reward" system to get small amounts of BBs and such for free.

jeremywills
01-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Thanks Red for the tip. I'll keep it in mind.

jeremywills
01-04-2008, 09:26 AM
You snooze you loose. I waited a touch too long to decide on this. By the time the guy replied to me someone had beat me too it. Thanks for the info though. I'll keep this kit in mind for when the overseas group buy comes along again. Its much cheaper from across the pond. Im gonna definately check with those guys Red.

Cheers all.