PDA

View Full Version : M16 barrel loose

moose4488
10-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Hey,

I am sure this is probably a stupid question but my m16 barrel is loose and I don't know how to fix it. It hangs a little bit down when you pick up the gun like the barrel would be too heavy to support itself but I hasn't always been like this. Please help me!

Thanks,
moose4488

mcoupe11
10-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Moose, the problem you have described is a well-documented failing of TM's Armalite series (M16, M4, etc), and is commonly referred to as "barrel wobble." I suspect you will find much information by running a few simple searches on Google or one of the many airsoft boards.

To answer your question, though, you need to remove the handguards from your barrel assembly and tighten down the metric hex screws which hold that assembly together, using an Allen key / hex wrench of the appropriate size. Don't try to over-tighten them, as you will run the risk of stripping out the threads.

The problem is likely to reemerge over time, and you can address it by tightening down those same screws whenever it's called for, or you can take further preventative measures such as using Loctite or pipe-thread tape to prevent the screws from coming loose, although those measures aren't likely to be permanently effective. You could also buy one of the many aftermarket parts which are designed to prevent the problem by improving on Marui's flawed design, such as chamber blocks or, probably the most effective solution, one-piece barrels.

AustinWolv
10-08-2003, 10:04 PM
In addition, it helps to remove the barrel nut, apply teflon tape (found at all hardware stores) to the threads on the receiver, and then tighten the barrel nut back on.

MetalBMX52
10-10-2003, 07:56 PM
It isnt barrel wobble, I took a look at the gun and tightend all the hex's.

mcoupe11
10-10-2003, 09:14 PM
Please describe the your observations of the problem in greater detail. At what point is it flexing, drooping, or bending? Did tightening the screws have any effect at all?

MetalBMX52
10-10-2003, 10:15 PM
my friend's (moose) m16 is bending down at the outer barrel as if there is nothing holding it tight in the top reciever. tighting the screws have no effect and the only way to shoot the gun is by holding the foregrip up while shooting.

Katana
10-10-2003, 10:54 PM
Is the Delta Ring tightened down? If I understood your description correctly, it sounds like it isn't.

The rear part of the fore-grip on the Armalite is held on by a spring-loaded ring located just in front of the receiver that you pull toward the receiver to release the foregrip and take it off or put it on.

That spring-loaded ring sits on top of the delta ring, which is like a large barrel nut that surrounds the base of the barrel and screws down tight onto the receiver. Don't strip it out by using all your weight and a big wrench, but make sure it's tightened down well.

That *might* be your problem.

ichainsaw
12-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Is the Delta Ring tightened down? If I understood your description correctly, it sounds like it isn't.
The rear part of the fore-grip on the Armalite is held on by a spring-loaded ring located just in front of the receiver that you pull toward the receiver to release the foregrip and take it off or put it on.
That spring-loaded ring sits on top of the delta ring, which is like a large barrel nut that surrounds the base of the barrel and screws down tight onto the receiver. Don't strip it out by using all your weight and a big wrench, but make sure it's tightened down well.
That *might* be your problem.

I just figured out i had barrel wobble and that was the problem. You should add that to the faq, just tighten the delta ring.