PDA

View Full Version : UTG MK96 vs Tokyo Marui VSR-10 G-SPEC

notepad
06-20-2007, 11:40 PM
OK, I need a little help deciding between these two guns; the UTG MK96 (aka L96) and the Tokyo Marui VSR-10 G-Spec. I have read a lot about both of them, and from what I can tell people have real mixed feelings about the UTG, about half of what I've read about the UTG says its junk, and then the other half say the UTG is great. But on the other hand, I've only found one negitive review about the Tokyo Marui G-SPEC, the guy said all of his shots fly at a really sharp angle to the right which I think was just a fluke but whatever... So obviously the TM is MUCH higher quality, and just so no one thinks I'm a complete idiot, I have no doubt of that and thats not what I am trying to decide here. I am 17, and I can only spend so much on airsoft, so what I am trying to figureout is if the G-SPEC is worth the extra money. From what I understand, without signicant (and expensive!) upgrading the G-SPEC has a max range of about 100-120 feet, while the UTG has a max range of about 200-250 feet right out of the box. And to top it off, the UTG is $130 and it comes with a bipod, 2 magazines, scope rail, speed loader and a sling -- But if you pay $130 and get all those accessories with the gun its going to be lower quality than the G-SPEC, but I can't really decide if at the end of the day I, or anyone for that matter, needs to spend ~$220 just for a airsoft gun... I do believe that the G-SPEC is "worth" the $220 because it is made from very high quality parts and its very upgradable, but I can't decide if at the end of the day it is just excessive, and more than anyone really needs to spend on a airsoft gun. Another thing that makes me weary of the UTG is I've read about a lot of people who bought it, loved it, and then 2 months later (which just happens to be out of warranty) the gun just breaks, what makes it even more confusing and harder to decide is that there are a lot of people who don't seem to have that problem and love there UTG's. Does anyone here own either of these guns? Or have any thoughts on the subject in general? Any and all help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Brandon

Gramps
06-21-2007, 12:06 AM
First off...you get what you pay for...with that said, I own a UTG Sniper that is the VSR knock off...I have owned the VSR-10. Not the Gspec but the internals arnt any differant between the 2 models of VSR.

Anyways...For snipers they are both way under powered...the UTG claims to shoot 400fps out of teh box. FALSE
It might shoot around the 350fps mark but not much higher than that. Were as the VSR 10 might shoot around teh 300fps mark give or take 10 feet per second for either gun.

Both have adiquate parts to make the gun function. The UTG can take VSR 10 upgrades...so if your looking for a cheaper gun get the UTG and upgrade with TM VSR parts.

As for the buddy that complained about his VSR shooting to the right...probably a bent inner barrel.

I have used both....I liked both (when upgraded properly) if you have the extra money to spend get the VSR if your on a budget get the UTG. The L96 clones I have seen used on the field are more sturdy frames than the UTG VSR clones...still a plastic body but more ABS than plastic where as the UTG VSR clone is just plastic.

Personally I use a Tanaka K98 with a custom airnozzle...but that's another topic all together.
Hope that helped.
Gramps

Dark Paladin
06-21-2007, 12:36 AM
. . . I can't really decide if at the end of the day I, or anyone for that matter, needs to spend ~$220 just for a airsoft gun... I do believe that the G-SPEC is "worth" the $220 because it is made from very high quality parts and its very upgradeable, but I can't decide if at the end of the day it is just excessive, and more than anyone really needs to spend on a airsoft gun. . .

Considering that a number of us have dropped over $1000 on just ONE gun (don't get me started about how much money I have sunk into this damned expensive addiction). . . you're going to get some biased answers.

Gramps is right about one thing. . . if you are on a tight budget and simply don't have the patience to save up for a better quality replica, then do your own thing. Personally, I'm biased towards TM. . . as I've had good experiences with their AEGs, and have heard others say good things about their GBBs. On the other hand, the tactic Gramps suggested isn't altogether a bad idea. Research a bit more on other L96 clones and see how long they can withstand the increased stresses of upgraded internals. If the reviews are favorable, then that is a viable option you can consider.

Either way, good luck in your endeavor.

notepad
06-21-2007, 01:48 AM
Considering that a number of us have dropped over $1000 on just ONE gun (don't get me started about how much money I have sunk into this damned expensive addiction). . . you're going to get some biased answers.
Gramps is right about one thing. . . if you are on a tight budget and simply don't have the patience to save up for a better quality replica, then do your own thing. Personally, I'm biased towards TM. . . as I've had good experiences with their AEGs, and have heard others say good things about their GBBs. On the other hand, the tactic Gramps suggested isn't altogether a bad idea. Research a bit more on other L96 clones and see how long they can withstand the increased stresses of upgraded internals. If the reviews are favorable, then that is a viable option you can consider.
Either way, good luck in your endeavor.
Dude... Are you serious? Holy crap, that is a ton of money... :eek:
As for my budget, I do have enough for the TM, but like I said... I am just trying to come to a decision about whether or not its worth spending the money to get it, and what a reasonable price cutoff is, especially for a airsoft newbie like me -- Only been playing for like 3 weeks. But now you just have me more confused ;), because I feel cheap now LOL...

First off...you get what you pay for...with that said, I own a UTG Sniper that is the VSR knock off...I have owned the VSR-10. Not the Gspec but the internals arnt any differant between the 2 models of VSR.
Anyways...For snipers they are both way under powered...the UTG claims to shoot 400fps out of teh box. FALSE
It might shoot around the 350fps mark but not much higher than that. Were as the VSR 10 might shoot around teh 300fps mark give or take 10 feet per second for either gun.
Both have adiquate parts to make the gun function. The UTG can take VSR 10 upgrades...so if your looking for a cheaper gun get the UTG and upgrade with TM VSR parts.
As for the buddy that complained about his VSR shooting to the right...probably a bent inner barrel.
I have used both....I liked both (when upgraded properly) if you have the extra money to spend get the VSR if your on a budget get the UTG. The L96 clones I have seen used on the field are more sturdy frames than the UTG VSR clones...still a plastic body but more ABS than plastic where as the UTG VSR clone is just plastic.
Personally I use a Tanaka K98 with a custom airnozzle...but that's another topic all together.
Hope that helped.
Gramps
Yeah, you do get what you pay for... But like I told Dark Paladin, I am just trying to come to a reasonable cutoff point (Which won't be $1,000!) for an airsoft gun, because there will always be a better, more expensive option. And I don't think your right about the UTG's stock FPS, because I have seen similar guns, like the WELL L96 (which most reports say is a lower quality gun), test fired at about 460-470 FPS with .20g BB's, of course it is a different brand... But it is pretty similar. Since you don't have the G-SPEC, do you have the RealStock or Pro Sniper version? By the way, what kind of stock accuracy did/do you get with your G-SPEC?

otang
06-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Consider that if you get a cheaper clone or knock-off to replace the internals, you need to have knowledge of those internals to have it work properly. There are many subtleties to the internals of an airsoft replica and a new player may not be able to fine tune them. You can also have some one work on it for a fee and save some headache.

Mishkan
06-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Look for used VSRs first, often people sell them with the zero trigger/other parts already installed. This is for a lot cheaper and might be a better option for you.

miguel
06-21-2007, 06:31 PM
The UTG L96 is rumored to be able to accept APS upgrades (not VSR-10) but I have yet to see it comfirmed. But I do know that the UTG L96 comes stock with a plastic trigger box so if you want it to last more than a couple hundred rounds expect to buy a zero trigger system to replace the stock plastic one. Look into the VSR-10 clones if your sure you want a bolt action rifle. I have been using an HFC USR-11 since it came out in 2005 with a PSS150 spring and other various upgrades with only minor difficulties. The stock hop up unit wasn't as good as the Marui but I don't expect the UTG's to be very good either. The G-spec is the best option if you can manage the money.

Grant
06-21-2007, 06:45 PM
notepad, I think you could get better answers if you told everyone what kind of field you play on and what guns your opponents/teammates have.

If you plan on playing against high/decent quality AEGs (CA, TM, ECHO1) I think you would have much more fun getting an AEG yourself.

notepad
06-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, but I don't think I'll be going with the VSR10... I talked to my Dad about it and he told me I was out of my mind to want to spend over $200 on a toy gun, and that I could (hypothetically) buy a real gun for that much money. I think he might let me buy a JG M4 though, which is only $130 on eBay. It not a TM, but it will be a big improvement over my UTG 870 pump shotgun!

Mishkan: I looked for used VSR's, but I wasn't able to find any. Was there a specific site you we're talking about?

Thanks!

Brandon

otang
06-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Nothing to add, but dad's response was hilarious. hahaha

notepad
06-22-2007, 07:17 PM
In retrospect, yeah, I don't remember finding it very funny at the time though LOL...

Mishkan
06-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Since I'm feeling nice:
http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/index.php?showtopic=76456&hl=vsr
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=15407&cat=all
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=16097&cat=all

Took about 5 minutes or so to look through and find those.

notepad
06-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks. I guess you just have to know where to look... Because I couldn't find anything on Google.

Cookerman
06-27-2007, 04:23 PM
So he won't let you spend $200 on a toy gun, but he will let you spend $130??

notepad
06-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Well, its really more like $225, but yeah... He wouldn't budge on that, but I talked him into letting buy a JG M4S, which is like $130.