PDA

View Full Version : Are All BB's Created Equal?

notepad
06-19-2007, 10:25 PM
OK, I have been trying to understand this... A lot of people are of the oppinion that .12g are junky BB's. But doesn't it all come down to the manufacturer? Because, after all .12g is just a weight, not a quality rating. TM makes .12g BB's, and they are just as nice as their .20g BB's. So why do people think that .12g BB's are automatically bad quality? You can't deny that they are less accurate than heavier BB's because they don't have as much weight thus giving them inflight stability, but setting that aside, couldn't it be said that they are the same "quality" just not as accurate? If they are bought from a good manufacterur I don't understand why they would break your guns... I don't use .12g BB's for accuracy reasons, but I did use them at first, and it didn't seem to affect my gun. And sometimes for just backyard games it would be nice to save a little cash and use .12g BB's when we are just kinda goofing off, and not playing real seriously. So do you guys think that .12g BB's really break your guns, or is this just some kind of myth?

Thanks!

Brandon

otang
06-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Here is a very informative post made by Austinwolv.
http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3956&highlight=quality

It doesn't answer your question about .12 gram BB quality, rather, it demonstrates through facts and numbers that a heavier BB is more accurate for the most part.
.12gram BB's are not bad because they may be poor quality( in this case), they are bad because they will literally fly every which way but at your target because its not heavy enough to fly through the air in predictable grouping.

Yes some brands have better quality, but in a BB as light as .12grams, the problem is more often than not a lack of weight.

Naveronski
06-19-2007, 11:58 PM
If you look at the BB's which often come with cheap springers, you will notice that they are often .12 gram bb's. These are very often, well, crappy. Visible seams, uneven seams, plastic still attached from the molds, partial bb's making their way into the batch, etc. This has brought about the assumption that all .12g bb's are like this. For the most part they are, so you'll almost never find someone trying to use this crappy ammo in their AEG's.

Even though there are some brands making .12g that don't suck, I still won't be using it in any of my replicas.

Grant
06-20-2007, 12:18 AM
.12 are not ideal for higher velocity guns. However, if you are shooting below 200 fps they are actually could be a better choice because of the increased range and higher fps (less chances of people being able to dodge your shots.

AustinWolv
06-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Take a read through the Airsoft FAQ at the top of the page, as well as the DumboRAT newbie guide in the Download section. The pros/cons of various BB weights are listed in both if I recall correctly.

notepad
06-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions guys, I think I have a better understanding of the issue now.

Otang, AustinWolv:

Thanks for those links. They we're very informative and helpful.

HammerHead
06-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Asked, answered, accepted, locked - lest Wolv has further input from his measurements thread.