PDA

View Full Version : -Big, long, G36 magazine Article-

wildcard
06-05-2007, 10:53 PM
I like my G36's but it has been a fun quest of trial and error to find pouches that will hold the "cutting edge" magazines. Since our military uses AR type rifles the AR 5.56 mag pouch is the dominant pouch from retailers. Not to say that HK mag pouches are unattainable, they are costly to get. There are a number of factors that come into play concerning the G36 mag. Should I store them coupled together to take advantage of their design or singularly? The typical hi-cap 36 mag holds 470 rounds opposed to the standard 300 rounds for AR types. (I know there are 450 rounders out there but I mostly see 300s on my team.) So, per mag the G36 user has 170 rounds more. But then you come to the number of total mags one can reasonably carry of either type using MOLLE pouches. When I first started this quest I found that one G36 mag basically equals two AR mags. The standard MOLLE pouch that holds two 5.56 mags with a Velcro flap, holds one G36 mag. So if I store them singularly the 170 round advantage quickly disappears. This becomes even more apparent when you switch to mid-caps. The triple 5.56 pouch that holds two AK mags does well to hold two coupled G36 mags but I can't get the pair out quickly and I can't put the empty pair back in the pouch quickly. SAW pouches will hold the mags too but that has its problems as well. I like to keep my kit somewhat slim and the triple pouches and SAW pouches make going prone uncomfortable. The next pouch I will try is the M14 single shingle pouch with bungee. The last option I have seen is the G36 to AR magazine well conversion part from Private Parts (I think). That would solve the problem and I'd just have a lot of G36 mags sitting in the arsenal.
All these attempts are taken using unmodified G36 magazines. If you read the whole thing thanks for listening and all Ideas are welcome. I know I'm not the only HK user out there.

The Card-

Marimba
06-05-2007, 10:59 PM
The solution is simple. Contact Village right here in these forums and have him build you up some of his custom G36 mag pouches. You may also want to investigate the Spec-Ops X4 mag pouches, they hold two G36 magazines that are clipped together very well.

Dark Paladin
06-06-2007, 12:12 AM
The last option I have seen is the G36 to AR magazine well conversion part from Private Parts (I think). That would solve the problem and I'd just have a lot of G36 mags sitting in the arsenal.

That's not necessarily a bad option. If you're teammates mostly run around with ARs, it wouldn't hurt to use the same type of magazines as them in order to support each other if somebody runs out of ammo. When I attended Lionclaws 6, I wanted to use my G36 because of its range and power. However, pretty much all the Rangers I was running with were using some variation of the AR. So my solution was to use the mag well conversion to get the best of both worlds.

As for those extra G36 mags. . . you could always sell them.

wildcard
06-06-2007, 02:28 AM
How is that mod? Wait, did you write the review on Kastway? Anyway, that's the reason I was considering the mag well. Thanks. I found some Blackhawk pouches for 36 mags but I am still worried about bulk. But I guess airsoft isin't Whataburger :)

Dark Paladin
06-06-2007, 02:44 AM
How is that mod? Wait, did you write the review on Kastway?

Mod works great. I didn't write the review on Kastway, but I wrote the one here: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/1994

Red
06-06-2007, 12:00 PM
I know for a fact that Blackhawk makes a MOLLE pouch for G36 series mags. So I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a cheaper (as in money not quality) replica of it.

But incase you don't care about the money I found the G36 series MOLLE pouch on AirsoftAtlanta under the "Blackhawk" catigory.

Also it says on there, that the dual G36 mag pouch can hold 3 M4 mags, but 470 x 2 = 940, and 300 x 3 = 900. So YEAY FOR G36!!! :D

otang
06-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Private Parts Airsoft mag conversion works well.
I found that my El Cheapo rig has 6 flexible built-in pouches that are able to hold at least 4 G36 magazines, I've yet to try it with 6 magazines. Not the best rig, but it was a welcomed surprise and thats just another option for you.
Double M4 mag pouches as you said, are a good way to carry those G36 mags.