PDA

View Full Version : What's your experience with these rifles...

The Dude
05-01-2007, 01:14 AM
A lot of people seem to be generally impressed with the UTG Mk 96 sniper rifle (pictured below). Although I'm still saving up for the Tanaka M700 AICS, I'm a sucker and want to try this thing out.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/images/utgmk96scope.jpg
http://www.airsoftgi.com/images/utgmk96odscope.jpg

Anyone here have any first-hand experience with it? How'd it do for ya? Is it a comfortable shooter? I'm kinda looking for something along the lines of "Yes, I've either purchased, held and/or fired this gun and I _______ it."

Marimba
05-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Don't waste your money on this one. Read completely through the thread concerning these rifles on Arnies' Airsoft. It's 75 pages of wow, this looks real cool, but broke after just a little while. The stock trigger assembly is plastic, and to make it work well will cost you $200 in the form of a replacement Laylax Zero Trigger. Save yourself the trouble, and skip it.

And just FYI, the Tanaka AICS is no longer made with the adjustable PCS. Due to a change in Japanese law all of the new versions are restricted nozzle versions. They will all shoot at 328 FPS out of the box. If you can get a unrestricted/adjustable PCS version, be prepared to do several things to get the rifle to work as intended. You will need the following items replaced: tightbore barrel for the AICS with the SQUARE hop bucking cut out, best gun hop up bucking + hop up set, replacement steel striker plates for the magazines, Replacement longer nozzle to correctly place bbs into the new hop chamber, teflon tape to seal the PCS bolt adjuster screw and replacement hammer spring. The gun will then only want to shoot .30 and .36 bbs.

Good luck!

The Dude
05-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I appreciate the insight (especially about the Tanaka AICS) I also appreciate the wish of good luck. I remember reading about the Tanaka's restrictions. More than likely, I'd be willing to settle for 328 fps, but will probably purchase the Tanaka pre-upgraded (if available).

If, for some crazy reason, I did purchase this UTG thing... it wouldn't see very much use. More than likely, I'd probably use it for a loaner and eventually a display piece when it breaks. More than likely, I'll just continue to save up for the upgraded Tanaka.

Mishkan
05-02-2007, 04:19 AM
Marimba, I think the one you're talking about on Arnie's is about the Warrior 1, which is utter garbage as the gun blows itself apart pretty much. The UTG has nothing to do with it I believe, I'd still recommend against it though.

Marimba
05-02-2007, 09:37 AM
They are the same gun. Made in the same factory. Just because UTG put their name on it doesn't make it any better.

The Dude
05-02-2007, 09:19 PM
How 'bout the Classic Army M24? Anyone have any experience with this one? I heard a few things about it that seemed a little dicey, so I'm not too sure. I'm what I like to call a "Part-time sniper". Not neccessarily full-time, just only when neccessary and I'm looking at different weapons.

zaries
05-10-2007, 11:09 PM
I have had small skirmish experiance(sp?) with the UTG M324, the scope included in the packgae at www.airsoftgi.com was suprisingly nice, as a friend put it "It's like life in HD"

As I said though, small skirmish experiance(sp?) about 3 matches played, the included bi-pod fell off once as I was running to a covered position. Consistency doesn't exist with .2's .25's shoot nice stock, but I doubt you could pull the 100Ft shots that seem to be considered standard for a good-quality sniper.

All American
05-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Here is a video on the rifles, not UTG but same thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtdRjlX3jF8