PDA

View Full Version : Austin Weekly Skirmish: San Marcos

AustinWolv
01-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Time: Show up at 0900; skirmishing starts at 1000 and ends at 1700 (or when people are tired)
Field fee: $10
Rules: Standard TASO set
Scenarios: Specific scenarios with time constraints will be employed in order to maximize in-game time
Address: 2511 Dreibrodt Rd., San Marcos, TX, 78666
Field map: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4217/size/big/cat/500
More field info: http://www.maximumairsoft.piczo.com/

Schedule:
1000h-1200h 120min skirmish (Chopper Rescue extended version)
1200h-1245h break/eat/resupply
1300h-1430h 90min skirmish (Ammo supply run)
1430h-1500h break/reset
1500-1600 60min move-to-contact (no respawns)
1615-1700 45min skirmish

CALI
01-19-2007, 06:38 PM
I should be there.

RevSM
01-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Sounds interesting, I might be there.

shakman
01-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Count me in!

Bear
01-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm game.

AustinWolv
02-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Planning on it.

otang
02-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Planned on going.

Dirus
02-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Count me in.

Soria
02-06-2007, 07:30 PM
We shall see...

maxerbater
02-10-2007, 06:10 PM
I am in California right now and im not shure if ill be back by the 17th, but if im not there my dad will open the gate and collect the money no problem. The show must go on im going to do my best to make it back if not, have fun with out me...

AustinWolv
02-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Cool, thanks for the update, Max.

necroticism
02-11-2007, 01:19 AM
I won't miss this one.

MeanGreen7
02-11-2007, 02:54 AM
I will be there with one guest. :D

crow
02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I hope everyone is on the field having fun while I type this...

I'd really like to make it out to this one. However I'm a little concerned about my "equipment." All I have right now is a CYMA AK-47S, ~250fps, completely stock and a little beat up. And missing its folding stock. I understand that "it's not the gun, it's the player, " however I'm a skirmish "noob," and I'm a little concerned that I might just be in the way and impede my assigned team. If this is the consensus, I will look into budgeting a rental.

If I end up going, and I think I will, I will need to get some .02g or .023g BB's if anyone has them for sale and will definitely be there...PM me.

Also, if anyone would be interested in carpooling with me, just this once, PM me, I'll drive if you can meet me (I live near IH35 and Riverside Drive). My car (Scion xB) is new and has plenty of room. Please note, I'm not interested in driving across town to pick anyone up. Unless someone would be interested in working a partial trade for renting an AEG in exchange for taxi service? My gas for your....uh...replica.

Rats, I tried to upload an animated GIF as my profile picture, from the Monty Python "argument" sketch ("yes it is, no it isn't, yes it is, no it isn't...."), in honor of my recent case of digital diarrhea. But, no animated pics allowed. Oh well...I tried to poke a little fun at meself.

CROW

AustinWolv
02-11-2007, 07:21 PM
All I have right now is a CYMA AK-47S, ~250fps, completely stock and a little beat up. And missing its folding stock. I understand that "it's not the gun, it's the player, " however I'm a skirmish "noob," and I'm a little concerned that I might just be in the way and impede my assigned team. As long as it shoots, you'll be fine. Don't sweat it. This field has enough concealment that the lack of range won't overly put you at a disadvantage.

That being said, a rental might give you the chance to check out another type of gun.

crow
02-11-2007, 08:42 PM
As long as it shoots, you'll be fine. Don't sweat it...

...said the Spider to the Fly.

Hehee. Thanks, Wolv. Sincerely.

CROW

AustinWolv
02-12-2007, 10:43 AM
For now, weather is looking good. weather.com shows 65degF high and sunny.

Field fee is $10, so make sure you bring cash.

EvanKing
02-13-2007, 07:28 PM
I might be heading up there with Marimba if he is going. I had fun this past Sunday and I can't wait to play again.

E6D
02-13-2007, 09:57 PM
It appears that I am the only person in the Houston community interested in going. If I can free myself up, I'll be there.

All American
02-13-2007, 10:02 PM
I might be able to make it, but doubt it.

spade
02-14-2007, 12:38 AM
I'll be there, looking forward to a great skirmish day!

IMIRanger
02-14-2007, 02:22 AM
I am planning on it!

EDIT: Bringing one extra.

Dynobis
02-15-2007, 11:57 PM
I may be there. I just got my new AEG tonight so. I will not have the best equipment, but I will have an ok gun and be ready to play. Is it ok if my bro comes too? That way we can trade off weapons allowing us to alternate between battles/scenarios.

Bear
02-16-2007, 12:21 AM
As long as you both pay the field fee and meet the waiver requirements, you're GTG.

AustinWolv
02-16-2007, 01:01 AM
I may be there. I just got my new AEG tonight so. I will not have the best equipment, but I will have an ok gun and be ready to play. Is it ok if my bro comes too? That way we can trade off weapons allowing us to alternate between battles/scenarios.
To expand on what Bear stated, also make sure you review the TASO ruleset as well as the New to Airsoft info in that forum as well as in the Downloads section.

It is fine for your brother to come as long as he does the same and is of appropriate age, i.e. 14+ years.

Dynobis
02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
We are both 18 years or older, and I am registered to Texas Airsoft Website and have read all the rules. My coming to this all depends on how much School work I can get done, so we shal see.

seal22
02-16-2007, 07:42 PM
I would like to come tomorrow but i need to borrow a 12v or 10.8v (preferably 12v) around 1400 mah battery that would fit in the back of a MP5 full stock. I will pay a fee of like $5 to borrow. If someone could post tonite or early tomorrow morning that they have a loaner that would be great.

Bear
02-16-2007, 07:53 PM
I don't think you *need* that much voltage.

I'm sure someone will have an 8.4v or 9.6v you can borrow.

AustinWolv
02-16-2007, 08:30 PM
US22, why do you think you NEED that much voltage? Are you trying to rip up your gears?
I'll try to remember to throw an 8.4v, 2000mAh in my gear bag for you.

Also, you'll want to review the site rules, particularly #25. You'll need to PM one of the staff the new username you want. Thanks for your cooperation.

Marimba
02-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Whoo Hoo, I am going.

seal22
02-16-2007, 11:54 PM
I appreciate the offer, but the reason is beacuse an 8.4v cant pull my spring.

Bear
02-17-2007, 12:20 AM
What kind of spring do you HAVE in there? An 8.4v battery should be able to cycle a 400FPS spring easily. What does your AEG chrono at?

seal22
02-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Well, my gun chronos at 350fps, and i have two 8.4v batteries that came with it and they don't pull the spring, so i dont know if its the battery or what. You can see for your self tomorow.

Village
02-17-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm packing right now! See you guys in the morning.

chrisvalla
02-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Woohoo, I get trigger time finally! Will there be a crono available beforehand? I've got a few guns that just went through a SLEP and need checked out before OP April.

AustinWolv
02-17-2007, 01:21 AM
I appreciate the offer, but the reason is beacuse an 8.4v cant pull my spring.
If you gun has a spring rated for 350fps/.2g in there, there is something wrong with your gun. More often than not, it was not shimmed properly.

Will there be a crono available beforehand?
Yes.

Bear
02-17-2007, 01:48 AM
If anyone has any G&G M14 mags I could borrow to test out my M14, I'd appreciate it.

Village
02-17-2007, 08:23 PM
I think we've found a winner! I had a great time today. The field offers so much in terms of ground cover, cow trails, and interesting elevations. Even though we started late, I felt like we got a full day of skirmishing. Thank you WC for putting together the scenarios! They were evenly balanced and full of action. Hopefully others will get word of this event and we'll get even more turnout next time.

Dirus
02-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I had a blast myself. I liked the terrain a lot, the ponds added a nice change of scenery too. Felt a bit uneasy around those cows though, they had some horns I wouldn't like to get to know. Thanks to Max and his father for allowing us to play there.

Mad Irishman
02-18-2007, 09:21 AM
So the field was pretty nice? Can someone throw together a small AAR for us poor slobs who had to work yesterday? It felt like I was in summer school and everyone else was at the park! I really want to check the place out since it's so much closer to those of us who live south.

AustinWolv
02-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Quick AAR:
-Started with 29-30 people attending.
-Started later than scheduled
-First skirmish was 120 mins
-Second skirmish was 90 mins
-Field has a decent amount of land area that we didn't even touch. The density and terrain can make engagements get pretty close, and then there are some open areas where long shooting lanes exist.

First skirmish was the downed chopper crew scenario we've run at TXPB, but with some variation. Chopper crew, when found by either side, rolled into that side's force. 50/50 split to start the skirmish. Whoever found the chopper crew got the use of 1 medic for their side. Up until then, both sides had to go back to start points to respawn. The side that did not get the crew had to continue using their respawn point. Final win criteria was holding the chopper crash site. Thus, Bluefor (rescuers) would be penalized numerically if crew was captured. Opfor would be penalized by having to take a defended spot with even numbers if they did not capture crew. Crew had to shoot semi-auto until tagged.
Opfor actually found the crew first, trading fire with them. Bluefor then established contact and tagged the 4 crew members to claim them and gain use of a medic. Bluefor set up perimeter, which Opfor continually probed, but was repelled for quite a while. Then, Opfor used some terrain nicely to get in closer to the crash site and pick a hole through Bluefor perimeter. From there, Opfor quickly cleaned out Bluefor and took possession of the crash site. Bluefor struggled for a while to establish some pressure. Eventually, some Bluefor must have poked a hole back through and secured the crash site again with just a few minutes to go in the skirmish.

Then, we intended to take a 45min lunch break that stretched into something like 90 minutes.

Second skirmish was down to about 22 people, as some had to leave earlier. Force split was 50/50, with Bluefor tasked with small squad at a barn on the property. Rest of Bluefor was tasked with transporting an ammo can to the small squad with two people being required to move the ammo can. When they got to the barn, Bluefor was to set off a smoke to signify they had completed that objective, and from there, they were tasked with holding the barn until skirmish end. Opfor was tasked with either stopping the ammo can from getting there or controlling the barn at skirmish end.
Each side got one medic.
Opfor started with one FT going at sprint to cut off road travel for Bluefor. Rest of Opfor was tasked with circumventing the barn to cut off another route of travel. However, by the time Opfor cleared the treeline, smoke was already visible at the barn, as Bluefor had gotten the ammo can onsite.
Opfor then continually probed the Bluefor perimeter, trying to break through from different angles. The Bluefor medic was all over the place, tagging guys back in. This went on for a while, until it was noticed that Bluefor medic was gotten hit trying to get to one teammate. Another teammate tried to tag him back in but was hit also. At that point, they, along with another Bluefor, proceeded to go respawn, so Opfor took the opportunity to full assault due to numerical advantage. Opfor took control of the barn and set up their perimeter. From there, both sides fought back and forth, with Bluefor mounting one specific attack that made things uncertain for a bit, but some Opfor were able to flank and knock that out which kept the barn in Opfor control. Skirmish ended a couple minutes later.

A couple shorter, faster skirmishes were originally planned after those, but it was 1700h at that point, so everyone geared down to split. All in all, it seemed like a pretty long skirmish day because of the unlimited respawns and varied terrain.

When we get out there again, it would be helpful to GPS some various points and develop a more detailed map. That will help with scenario planning and execution. We should also park a touch closer to the treeline, especially when the summer hits and walking through that field back to the parking lot will be quite the toasty stroll. :)

Thanks to Max and family for accommodating us on the fly.

BigLucky
02-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Agreed, somewhere near the "airport" would be a better parking area, that way it wouldn't be as far to deploy to starting positions, and it would be closer to even for the 2 sides,

Thanks for setting up the scenarios, Wolv and the rest of WC.

I had a lot of fun.

MeanGreen7
02-19-2007, 01:29 PM
I agree on the GPS mapping. Just an idea would be good if the map showed distances or a way to calculate the distance. The long walks to start in the dead of summer would not fair to much like Hammerhead already stated.

Field: Lots of varied terrain, but mostly trees, rivine, ponds, scattered mounds of dirt through out, and peppered with lots of rock. Oh and a couple of dead animals...:) A+ IMO.

Senerios: Wolv did an excellent job of setting each senario and were easy to run, thanks AustinWolv (awesome senarios).

Team Work: Seemed both sides did very well in working together and communicating. Very good job for Opfor and Bluefor on defensive positions and offensive positions.

If anyone missed it, try and make it next time if you can, it was definetly worth the drive and one of the best airsoft days I have had in a awhile.

Thanks again to AustinWolv and WC. :D

All American
02-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Sounds like it was fun, to bad I could not be there. Off topic, like your avatar MeanGreen7, It matches your name.

MeanGreen7
02-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks.