PDA

View Full Version : Ghilli suits

Harliqwyne
01-13-2007, 08:58 PM
I was wondering, is there anyone out there who can give me some advice on makeing a poncho style ghilli suit and a rifle cover?

I just got an email from my dad that the one I use to go hunting in is mostly gone due to dry rot and old age.

I have been doing some research on the internet but I've been and have mostly been finding instructions for making a suit that is sewn onto BDUs, overalls, etc.

Can someone help me out with this?

Harliqwyne

AustinWolv
01-13-2007, 09:02 PM
I was wondering, is there anyone out there who can give me some advice on makeing a poncho style ghilli suit and a rifle cover?

Drop laphta a line. He has first-hand experience with this.

Another thing to be aware of that many players don't think about is that ghillie suits are yet another layer to wear. This results potentially in two things:
1. Overheating in the summer
2. Not being aware they are being hit. I cannot count the number of times that players have started using ghillie suits and simply are unaware they are being hit anymore. The thick and "frazzled" layer naturally will make hits hard to feel. It is not because they are maliciously avoiding hit-calling, but BBs simply don't have the energy to be felt.

Good luck with your project.

Harliqwyne
01-13-2007, 09:16 PM
1. Overheating in the summer

2. Not being aware they are being hit. I cannot count the number of times that players have started using ghillie suits and simply are unaware they are being hit anymore. The thick and "frazzled" layer naturally will make hits hard to feel. It is not because they are maliciously avoiding hit-calling, but BBs simply don't have the energy to be felt.

That's the reason I want a poncho style. The full suit style that I use to have for hunting would make me start sweating after an hour or so of just sitting around waiting for a deer or turkey to come by. And in the winter time, sweating in cold weather can be bad.

I didn't think about the ability to call shots, great point to bring to my attention. My wife and several of our friends frequently go to the fabric district on Perth St. in Dallas so maybe with their help I can get some light weight materials that to won't totally absorb the impact of the round hitting me.

Thanks Wolv!

Harliqwyne

LaPHtA
01-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Build the shell out of sport mesh...or even a duck decoy bag.

PM me...I have too much I can geek out on regarding this.

As an Army Scout I ran two ghillies. One woodland and one desert. The desert one was a pancho style. Since then, I have built one dedicated suit for airsoft and I'm working on a British suit using an actual Arktis shell.

Much...MUCH geeking out. PM me.

maxerbater
01-14-2007, 09:41 PM
I totally agree with Wolv it does get quite hot, most of all the dang suit I have loves to get snagged on everything. I used some of that military netting you can cover vehicles and equipment with, its really cheap and it workís well breaking up in the bushes. I just pinned the netting on but I have never used the real stuff. Good luck