PDA

View Full Version : Scopes

Harliqwyne
01-12-2007, 08:34 PM
This afternoon, an newly made friend let me try out his M324 with the teflon modification done to it and I think that I'm now hooked. Except for the nickle size welt on my left elbow, I don't like that too much. Lesson is don't be on the wrong end of a sniper rifle.

I do have a question about scopes though. The rifle I shot had a scope. that I know for a fact cost about $850 (it was a Swarovski), and I was thinking that a scope like this would be way overkill for the range that most airsoft guns have, it was something like a 12x50. I was wondering, due to the fact that sniper engagements are pretty much less than 200' and taking into consideration of the true accuracy of the gun and rounds used with it, would something like a Tasco red dot sight ( http://www.tasco.com/riflescopes/reddot_bkrd30.shtml ) be more than adequate? I'm looking at something similar to this because of the fact that I have to wear glasses that means that unless everyone wants me blind as a bat I need to wear goggles and I don't know yet how good I can look through a traditional scope while wearing goggles.

Please, all advice and oppinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Harliqwyne

AustinWolv
01-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Look for something like a 3X scope. You'll be able to watch the BB through the scope, whereas you will not with a 1X reddot sight.
You can get inexpensive scopes that will do the job just fine and provide enough eye relief that wearing goggles and glasses at the same time will not be a problem.

I cannot recall exactly the brand, but for example, I believe I had a Bushnell scope that gave a very nice sight picture without having to be right up on the eyepiece.

Soria
01-12-2007, 11:57 PM
I picked up a BSA 4x32 power scope from Academy for like 23 bucks. It has a mount for .22 rifles but with a little brainpower can be made to work on standard picatinny rails.

crow
01-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I agree with the opinions above; inexpensive scopes from WallyWorld (Wal Mart) and such should work fine. Certainly, a real-steel sniper scope is overkill. A red-dot is of course intended more for "run and shoot" types of engagements.

I bought a Tasco scope (3-9x40) on sale at Wal Mart for less than $30. I've tried it on several airguns and one airsoft replica, and it works fine, even with goggles (it has about 3-4" of eye relief which is plenty). The 40mm objective lens lets in lots of light, and it even gives you a little bit of that big ugly sniper scope "look" if that's what you're after. The variable power is cool, like a camera's zoom lens, but a fixed power scope would probably be a better choice; it would theoretically be more reliable and precise (and maybe even cheaper).

Don't forget protection for your objective lens if you will be skirmishing; I just asked that question here and I got some helpful replies.

CROW

xDieter736x
01-14-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm running the exact same scope as crow is on my VSR, but one thing that I cannot stress enough is buying the correct scope mounts. I just grabbed some that would fit a 20mm rail (I had to guess as there was no label), and although they fit, the scope mount was an inch high making it impossible to zero in. Now I have to compensate for the mounts, which is a pain in the butt and why I've only used that rifle about five times. But, the scope itself is excellent, mine came with scope covers which broke already due to my friend's old MP5, but they're nice to have in order to keep the scope clean, but it won't do much against a BB. However, the 3-9x magnification is farily useless for airsoft, and like AWolv said, just get one that is 3x.

Mad Irishman
01-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Although the price is a little high for what you get, there is a 2x red dot made by Truglo.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=213761

itsahak
01-14-2007, 05:36 PM
I found the 2.5x Tasco scope at Wal-Mart for about $35

Dragon
01-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Look for a "Killflash ARD" for the front lense. Not only will it help you keep the sun glint down but it'll help protect the front lense from full on BB contact from return fire.

Harliqwyne
01-19-2007, 05:44 PM
I have my rifle and scope now! But, its been so long since I have sighted in a scope I forgot what range to set the target at to start zeroing it in. Can someone give me a kickstart at what range I should start at?

Thanks,

Harliqwyne

Godly-pk
01-20-2007, 05:41 AM
What rifle are you planning on the scope going on? The m324? I would sight it in about 50-75 feet. If it was a stock VSR-10 I would sight it in at about 120 feet. You need to consider ammo weight and all other factors that act on your round.

Harliqwyne
01-20-2007, 10:58 AM
It's an M324. I took it out in the back yard yesterday and was hitting small paper plates at about 100ft with no scope at all, so it's pretty accurate to begin with. My grouping over 5 plates averaged about 4.75 inches using some .12 ammo that I had from my AUG that is not long for this world. Not bad for not shooting a long gun for almost 10 years. I'll be trading what I got with my dad when I see him next month and he'll be letting me have one of his 4x42 scopes that he has

Harliqwyne
01-20-2007, 11:02 AM
It's an M324. I took it out in the back yard yesterday and was hitting small paper plates at about 100ft with no scope at all, so it's pretty accurate to begin with. My grouping over 5 plates averaged about 4.75 inches using some .12 ammo that I had from my AUG that is not long for this world. Not bad for not shooting a long gun for almost 10 years. I'll be trading what I got with my dad when I see him next month and he'll be letting me have one of his 4x42 scopes that he has

I do know that once I start using .2 or .23 ammo that I will need to adjust the scope for that ammo, but in the mean time I'll use the .12 to get use to shooting again. I only have about 400 rounds of .12 left so I'll be shooting heavier ammo in a week or so.

AustinWolv
01-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Even .2g will be too light. With a stock gun, you want to be using at least .25g if you want any accuracy.