PDA

View Full Version : Scope and optics protection ?

crow
12-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Hello,

I am curious to know what people in this community are using in the way of protection for their scope/optics during skirmishes. If anything at all.

I apologize if this has been covered previously, but I was unable to find any threads on this site, and Google only returned results for a shield for the Eotech holosight (oh yes, I want one, but it's way out of my price range right now, and it would go on my real-steel homeland security equipment anyway).

My reason for asking is that (years ago) I bought an Adco red-dot sight for my paintball marker, and during the VERY FIRST game, I was hit head-on by a paintball and the sight's lens shattered. If I'm going to throw $20 down the drain with nothing to show for it, I'd prefer to do it at a strip club. :love:

Is lens breakage even an issue within the context of airsoft? I realize that there is substantial difference in energy between an airsoft BB and a paintball. A while back, I think I recall seeing a product that was basically just a thin plate of Lexan or Lucite or something which attached to the RIS/RAS. But now I can't find it. Being a resourseful person, I know I could "rig something up," but I figure, why poke around like a hillbilly if there is expert advice/experience available?

FYI, the optic I'm interested in protecting is a BSA 40mm non-magnifying red-dot sight.

Thank you all in advance for your input, and again I apologize if this is something I should be able to find out for myself.

CROW

Bear
12-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Google "killflash" or "anti-reflection device" and you should find what you're looking for.

crow
12-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Google "killflash" or "anti-reflection device" and you should find what you're looking for.

BINGO. Thank you.

CROW

Village
12-16-2006, 02:08 PM
If you'd like to protect your $40 optic with a $25 Killflash, then this Bushwacker/Killflash combo is probably what you want:

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?manufacturer=BUSHWACKER&model=SCOPE+COVER&cat=30522

I think you'll need the #5 size model for your 40mm optic.

Also, and this is a much cheaper route, there are yellow-tinted flip-up lens covers from Bushmaster that cost only $7-8 and are available at McBrides and probably any local outdoors store. That's what I use on my Aimpoint replica right now and it works very well. Here's a picture for reference:
http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/store/products/displayProductImage.asp?prod=295967&imageDescription=Bushwacker+See%2DThru+Yellow+Scop e+Cover