PDA

View Full Version : Why the silencer?

JediKnight
09-26-2006, 12:16 PM
I realize I'm just full of questions I could probably research for awhile to find the answer for, but...

Obviously, the supressor on these airsoft guns is not for drowning out the extremely loud sound made by .50 cals, so my question is what exactly is it for?

I've heard mostly that it's just for looks, but I've also heard here and there that it's good for boosting accuracy especially on short-barrel rifles. If that's true, then that's pretty sweet cause silencers are really cool-looking, but I'd never buy one just for looks... Later!

-Chad

Bear
09-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Usually it's purely aesthetic or it is used to conceal a longer inner barrel.

Katana
09-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Marui builds tracer BB illuminator units that look like suppressors, in addition to the two things Bear mentioned.

AustinWolv
09-26-2006, 02:37 PM
If the replica silencer has foam inserts, it will change the tone of the sound and deaden it some, but the majority of noise from an AEG is the mechbox. As Bear said, his are the two main reasons. The other possibility is that it might be the TM tracer unit for glow-in-the-dark BB fun at night.

Asking questions in fine as long as they are not blatantly obvious things you could easily learn by some basic reading. Go through the Airsoft FAQ at the top of the page, as well as the beginner primers in the Download section, as that should answer most of the baseline topics.

self-edit: Katana answered in the time I replied also. :)

Crunkjuice
09-26-2006, 04:42 PM
i have found that some silencers work on AEG's but not really for the user. If you think when you have you rifle up to your head to shoot, the gearbox right is right next to it, grinding away so there really won't be a difference for the user. The person on the recieving end is not right next to the gearbox and does recieve a larger silencing effect than the user of said weapon. Not to say it works really well, just works more for the person your shooting at. On a side note, it works WAY better for NBB's and GBB's than it does for AEG's.

AustinWolv
09-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Yes, NBBs are inherently quiet as is, because there are virtually no moving parts. The same applies to some classic rifles, like those using BV systems, because of that.

AEGs are loud regardless, to the target and the shooter. Like said previously, the tone of the muzzle "report" deepens some. As stated earlier, the mechbox is what is heard by both parties moreso than the muzzle "report".

Grant
09-26-2006, 09:13 PM
An addition to AustinWolv's first post:

While the mechbox does make most of the sound the SHOOTER hears, the person down range can hear the "POP" of the gas behind the BB escaping from the barrel better than the shooter can. A silencer "absorbs" some of this "POP" so the people down range, your targets, cannot hear it as well.

Dirus
09-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Not all airsoft silencers work as silencer however. Selling a "silencer" requires a license here in the states, so the ones sold are mainly cosmetic. Some will muffle the sound a bit however, just be being there. You can insert some sound-muffling material into the hollow silencers too, but I haven't had a chance to hear the difference in the field.

EmeraldFalcon
09-27-2006, 06:25 AM
If it's a screw-on, there's really probably a better chance that the seam will screw the trajectory.

Dark Paladin
09-27-2006, 08:58 AM
If it's a screw-on, there's really probably a better chance that the seam will screw the trajectory.

Have you actually seen this happen or are you just guesstimating?

EmeraldFalcon
09-27-2006, 10:08 AM
I saw it happen, but it was on a gun where really anything just helped make it suck more. I have no idea why it wouldn't though. Airsoft BBs don't have the weight that regular bullets do, or the range. Actual stabilization is not near as important as keeping the BB spin under control. If the BB is forced to travel to another tube that doesn't fit it as well, the BB will be making tiny barrel rolls that will only get worse as it leaves the gun.

JediKnight
09-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Most of the replacement barrels I've seen have the silencer threads on the outside anyway, so I can't imagine that's a problem in the high-quality market. I guess the accuracy thing is just cause everyone seems to be so obsessed with barrel length in producing higher accuracy, and a silencer especially on a pistol would generally double that length...

-Chad

EmeraldFalcon
09-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Most of the replacement barrels I've seen have the silencer threads on the outside anyway, so I can't imagine that's a problem in the high-quality market. I guess the accuracy thing is just cause everyone seems to be so obsessed with barrel length in producing higher accuracy, and a silencer especially on a pistol would generally double that length...
-Chad
There's still a seam that you're going to have with almost anything that isn't super, super high quality. I'd guess a silencer would help if you had a high powered pistol, but for any other use except for protection of an exposed barrel, more trouble than you bargained for.

Dirus
09-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Airsoft silencers do not extend the inner barrel, they just attach like a flashhider and have a larger inner diameter (BB never touches silencer). That's the reason people replace their barrel with a longer one and have it extend out to the end of the silencer (never heard of anyone attaching a second inner barrel onto the end of the first).

EmeraldFalcon
09-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Airsoft silencers do not extend the inner barrel, they just attach like a flashhider and have a larger inner diameter (BB never touches silencer). That's the reason people replace their barrel with a longer one and have it extend out to the end of the silencer (never heard of anyone attaching a second inner barrel onto the end of the first).
The different air dynamics still stay though, it really doesn't help the trajectory at all.

And yeah, that's what I was saying, people use them for protection of an exposed barrel, which is probably the best use.

JediKnight
09-27-2006, 03:14 PM
So what we're saying is that silencers pretty much do nothing in terms of accuracy; HOWEVER, if one wants to increase their accuracy with an extended inner barrel, he can buy a silencer both for astetic value as well as protection of that barrel... that sound about right?

-Chad

Dark Paladin
09-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Silencers by themselves were never meant to assist in increasing accuracy. Aesthetics, yes. Functional, not really.

JediKnight
09-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Oh, I understand that... I just never realized that there was never any inner barrel to an airsoft silencer. Figured that because it does nothing to dampen the blast that doesn't exist, at least it would provide for a longer barrel... BUT, I realize now that I was wrong. My question that remains is confirming that the extended inner barrel is, in fact, for increased accuracy.

-Chad

Dirus
09-27-2006, 03:49 PM
So what we're saying is that silencers pretty much do nothing in terms of accuracy; HOWEVER, if one wants to increase their accuracy with an extended inner barrel, he can buy a silencer both for astetic value as well as protection of that barrel... that sound about right?
-Chad

Correct. :)

HammerHead
09-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Most airsoft silencers are used to extend the length of a replica's outter barrel in an effort to conceal a lengthened inner barrel. Specifically, the inner barrel extends through the length of the outter barrel and then the silencer, such that if the silencer is removed, the inner barrel is exposed.

*SOME* replica suppressors include foam inserts that mildly help decrease the sound given off by the replica. However, they're rarely exceedingly functional in that regard.

This discussion has run its course, as the matter is adequately covered in numerous other threads.