PDA

View Full Version : Throat Mics

sneakypete
09-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi all. I am looking at getting a throat mic setup. I was wondering what has worked for anyone. I would prefer a NON PTT setup. Thanks in advance for the advice.
-Dan

HammerHead
09-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Throat mics tend to come in two flavors:

1. High end models designed for high end radios. You will surmise that the high end variety carries with it a hefty pricetag. You'd be right.

2. Low end models designed for reenactors (let's assume that's our purpose) who wish to look like "real world operators" who utilize these devices.

You won't be disappointed with a high end model. It will transmit clearly and will be easy to use, as well as comfortable. If you're willing to accept the pricetag associated with such a unit, enjoy your kit. You may find an example of a high end unit here, available from Tactical Command Industries. This unit comes in with a starting price of $505, which does not include accessories, custom configurations for your needs and your radio.
http://www.merchantmanager.com/tactical/MM046.ASP?pageno=37&aProds=TTMK2_D

Nor does it include the expenses associated with establishing your radio equipment. And ICOM IC-F4x will set you back about US$100 on eBay, programming will cost about $25.

The cheaper variety are hardly worth the effort. The microphones tend to shift on your neck, preventing them from appropriately transmitting your audio. I cannot comment on their comfort, as I've never personally worn one. After several teammates have used them over an extended period of time in tests, I will say that they are not an option I prefer. Communication is garbled severely - specifically consonants are softened and mangled, users do not seem to be annunciating and key information is easily lost. They come in at prices ranging from $60 to about $150 (an arguably viable solution, if your teammates and members of larger units at more extensive events can decipher what you're transmitting). Most of these can be purchased with connection configurations which will allow you to connect a low to mid range FRS radio to them, extensively reducing the cost of your setup.

In nearly all cases, the standard option is to forego the look of a Navy SEAL and utilize an adequate boom microphone headset. Options such as the Otto Breeze (http://www.otteng.com) are affordable, rugged, lightweight and easily obtained for a variety of radios and PTT options (see below).

No matter which option you choose, however, a PTT configuration is your best option to initiate and terminate a transmission. I cannot imagine what other options you would consider in a throat mic, please clarify. I can confidently advise you that other users on your network will immediately demand the termination of a VOX option on your configuration. VOX is inaccurate and distracting, as it regularly fails to disconnect an open transmission, flooding the network with all manner of background noise. Including movement, heavy breathing and other speech.

AustinWolv
09-13-2006, 06:54 AM
Simply put, no throat mic I've come across on the field sounds comparable to a boom mic. More often than not, they have been highly annoying to listen to for the reasons mentioned above.
Take a look into the Review section, as there are a few reviews on some different headset options, including a mid-range throat mic.

Marimba
09-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Yep, no VOX please. Having tried a few throat mics, the boom style is the way to go.

itsahak
09-14-2006, 10:16 AM
i have to agree. I've tried 3 different models of throat mike. One of them was okay. the other two wouldn't stay around my neck. (thats the price I pay for too many shrugs in the gym!). I have also gone to the boom mike as it just works better.