PDA

View Full Version : Custom Trade marks on CQBR

Eightball
09-01-2006, 11:33 PM
I know the overall look isn't anything special.... blah CQBR. But, if you look at the details you will begin to see why I posted it here.

http://www.airsoftadvance.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10003/IMG_3206.jpg

http://www.airsoftadvance.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10003/IMG_3205.jpg

http://www.airsoftadvance.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10003/IMG_3207.jpg

I started with a Guarder New Generation M4 Blank body and designed the artwork to fit the areas needed. I did make a mistake in setting it up that I did not realize until after I assembled it. On the left side of the body where it says "SEMI" I did not provide enough space for the selector switch. It covers the text up a little bit. Now that I know that I can make the proper adjustments. I think I may be able to use a CA metal body for this as well..... However, the logos would need to be sanded off and the body repainted. I am going to try this with the SPR I am buidling and I will let you guys know if that is possible within the next week or so. If it is possible then I would offer the service from start to finish with sanding and painting. I am pretty confident it will work and look nice.

-Dave

AustinWolv
09-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Looks good, Eight.

HammerHead
09-02-2006, 07:03 AM
Nice work, Eightball... how are you applying the paint and how do you expect it to hold up over time/use?

shakman
09-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Nicely done! Are you doing the finishing yourself, or having it done somewhere?

Interesting marking for AUTO on the receiver....I had to look that one up :D

LaPHtA
09-02-2006, 10:11 AM
LOL! That's great!

Village
09-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Nice work, Eight! I just noticed what you did with paracord to retain the battery plugs - great idea! I see you got the "SHTF" mode from the SEALs CQBR :-)

Eightball
09-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I shamelessly "stole" the "SHTF" because it was funny. I figured since my gun shoots 405ish fps at the rate of 24 rounds per second that it was also appropriate. I used the Laylax Satellie chrono to measure it.

Hammerhead, it is actually laser engraved into the body so I don't expect it to last any less time than a "normal" logo job. I will need to do some R&D on the CA body that I will be sanding down and painting today for use on an SPR I am building. This particular body started life as a Guarder blank so the finish should hold up pretty good. Once the SPR is finished with the same set-up, different model information using the old CQBR body I will post up some pics as well. Should be a week or so, really depends on what the engraver does to me on turnaround time. I spent near 15 years in the sign business and made some good engraver contacts as well as learned a few things about vector line artwork set-up.

HammerHead
09-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Cool, thanks for the info, Eightball. I figured you'd used laser engraving, but you mentioned paint in your original post. As I'm not very familiar with the engraving process, I didn't know whether or not any paint is used.

Think you could handle custom work on a G3 receiver?

Eightball
09-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Think you could handle custom work on a G3 receiver? I bet anything is possible given enough flat area. If you want something on the lower it might work out better than the M16 style since it will lay much flatter on the engraver.

Sorry if there was confusion by my original post. The body pictured is a Gurader blank so no painting was need. The CA body I took off the CQBR will be sanded to remove logos and then spray painted. That body will then be engraved and used on an SPR I am building. It is that body that I will get to see whether the spray paint works. As of right now I literally have no idea if it will hold up. I am pretty confident it will but until I spend my own money on my own guns I won't charge people to "experiement" with thier toys. That's just the way I roll.... :)

-Dave

HammerHead
09-02-2006, 08:07 PM
No worries, I just misread what you posted when you stated "...start to finish with sanding and painting...", I read that to mean the logos were painted on. Either way, it's good stuff and I'd be interested in getting with you to have some work done on my MSG90's lower receiver.

Thanks for sharing!

MeanGreen7
09-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Nice job Eightball. That actually gives me some ideas.
Hey to do the laser ingraving that is done by a stencil or is it computer driven and guided?

Just wondering? :D

Eightball
09-09-2006, 02:50 AM
http://www.airsoftadvance.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10003/IMG_3214.jpg

I started with a Classic Army M15A4 carbine and basically stripped it down just the receiver and internals. I then drilled the bushing holes out on the 6mm gearbox to 7mm and installed ball bearing bushings. Added an Army Code piston mostly because I was curious about them looking like Marui material with a G&P design. I'll let you guys know if they suck... but for $17 for the piston and ball bearing piston head I thought what the heck. I did a TGS piston head because it looks like a direct copy of the G&P one. It had a PDI 170 spring in there that I swapped for a Guarder SP120 and went with a Systema ball bearing spring guide over the CA brass one. I am using a 509mm 6.04 tight bore barrel that originally came with my G&P SR25. I did have to drill out the SPR flash hider to get it to run almost all the way to the end of the hider itself. FYI, you will need a 25/64 drill bit for the job. I did have to paint the brass inner barrel toward the end so it wouldn't be too much of an eye sore in the flash hider "window". It the gun proves to have a loud report I may end up adding a silent piston head set. Classic Army is suppose to be releasing one.

For the exterior I bought the Classic Army SPR outer barrel assembly, PM Concept Rail Sleeve and Action flip up rear site. I also added a Classic Army crane stock so I could just swap the battery and stock over from the CQBR when I wanted to use it rather than buy another $60+ battery. Since I have the 3800mah battery I dare me to run that thing down in one day of skirmishing. I do still have a few odds and ends to buy for it but I wanted to get it together so I could field it in the woods to see how the finish holds up. If the paint survives the trees and brush then I will have custom laser engraved logos added like I did with the CQBR. If it gets completely scratched up then I will try a different paint. I did harvest a few bits off the CQBR for the pic as I am still a bit undecided on some of the details of the SPR.

Since it was dark I wasn't able to chrono so I will have to do it on Saturday.

MeanGreen, it was PC driven....

EDIT SAT. 09/09 I chronoed today using .25 Stealth brand bbs and it was ranging between 365-373 so i should be all good for Lu's OPs.

HammerHead
09-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Lookin' sharp, Eight. Thanks again for sharing all the details!

ZeroTolerance
09-09-2006, 11:35 AM
About how much does it run to do that to your rifle? And about how long?