PDA

View Full Version : New ESS Turbocam Profile goggles

shakman
07-10-2006, 08:48 PM
After 6 months of waiting, I finally have in my possession the latest (and supposedly greatest) version of the ESS TurboCam Profile tactical goggles. The ESS website still does not have them listed as available for sale, but since I've received mine, I suspect they will be available shortly.

My first impressions of the new goggles are favorable. The electronics are better placed at the back of the head instead of the wearers right side. Instead of a sliding switch, ESS is using a push button to turn the fan on.

The fan doesn't seem to be any louder than the old-style Profile fans. In fact, it might be just a little bit quieter. I'll try to do a side-by-side comparison later on with my older-style pair.

Since the frame is the same, I suspect the defogging capabilities remain the same.

I will have these goggles at the July 16th TXPB skirmish if y'all want to check them out for yourself.

Village
07-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Can't wait to hear the field test results! I'm still on the fence on whether my Wiley-X glasses are going to cut it. Can you quote a price, or did you not get them through public channels? Thanks.

shakman
07-11-2006, 07:37 AM
I received these as a result of a warranty return I made to ESS back in December for my original pair of turbocams. They informed me AFTER I sent the goggles back to them that they were not going to send me replacements until the new version was released. That was supposed to be only 2-3 weeks later, but it turned out to be more than 6 months!

I suspect the price will be about the same as the older-style turbocams. I think you can still find them online at retailers, so if you look that up it should give you an idea of what to expect. I think I paid around $120 shipped for my original pair.

Mad Irishman
07-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Does having the battery box on the back of the head interfere with wearing a boonie or patrol cap?

Katana
07-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Excellent question.

shakman
07-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Excellent question indeed...one I intend to answer for you when I get home and try it out.

Village
07-11-2006, 04:08 PM
When you get home can you also measure the diameter of the fan in millimeters? Thanks.

AustinWolv
07-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Just got mine today. The battery box/control unit can be repositioned to the side strap area. You can wear a boonie with it, but the goggle straps, just like the previous version, basically have to run over the top of your ears.

The fan runs louder at the HI setting than the previous version. I'm counting 7 blades at a steeper angle on the new version, as compared to 6 blades at a flatter angle on the previous version.

Fan diameter appears same as previous version at ~16-17mm. If there is a diameter difference, it is slight and not easily measured without disassembly.

By the way, ESS customer service has been outstanding.

shakman
07-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Overall, these goggles performed very well this weekend. The only thing I really didn't like about them is the switch placement. It gets in the way when trying to wear a ballcap. However, since Wolv discovered the box can be moved, this is a moot point.

The fan runs louder at the HI setting than the previous version. I'm counting 7 blades at a steeper angle on the new version, as compared to 6 blades at a flatter angle on the previous version.
Okay, so it's not my imagination then and they do run louder. The upside to the increase in blades and blade angle is more efficient moisture venting at low speed.

This Sunday wasn't exactly a fair test of the goggles ability to defog since it was so hot and dry, but the only reason I switched my goggles to high speed was for the extra airflow across my very hot face.

By the way, ESS customer service has been outstanding.
Yes they have! It's been some of the best 1-1 customer service I've experienced in some time.