PDA

View Full Version : Value of a sniper

Bloodless
05-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey,

I love to snipe, but I really wonder how much snipers are valued. I know that a lot of people prefer to go assault.
Well, the point is, are snipers valued more as profesional, elite marksmen, or are they more valued as annoying pieces of crap camping wusses who need to learn how to take a hit, etc. etc.

Dirus
05-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Snipers can be just as aggrssive as assault riflemen. As I see it, it's not so much being a sniper that people think about, but the actual person. Some people just like to camp, no matter what weapon they pick.

Not many people chose to be a sniper in airsoft, since it is a tougher role to play (and sometimes more expensive).

Dark Paladin
05-08-2006, 12:39 AM
annoying pieces of crap camping wusses who need to learn how to take a hit, etc. etc.

Now now. . . we really don't need that kind of talk in here. Be nice.

In regards to your question, that really depends on who you talk to, and what specific terminology you are using.

By my definition, a sniper is someone who engages targets from a long distance away, beyond the reach of conventional counterattacks. Due to the nature of their operations, they need to stay put in order to draw a bead on their target. This usually entails staying in one spot and seldom moving. . . hence the association with "camping".

On the other hand, you have the Squad Designated Marksmen, who stays and moves with a squad (even during assaults), but are designated as the Marksmen. Loosly translated, an offensive sniper. In real life, they have "dedicated" precision rifles that can place more accurate shots at longer distances than your standard battle rifles. In airsoft, this tends to boil down to PSG1s, MSG90s, and such.

To expand further on how this applies to airsoft. . . sniper rifles are limited to 550fps or below, but can only be semi (which is usually the case with gas or bolt action rifles). Designated Marksmen Rifles (DMRs) are limited to 400fps if they have auto capability. Most sniper rifles have longer barrels which in turn contributes to longer effective range.

I would recommend you to speak to other players who have specialized in these roles for further information. . . specifically Laphta and Cali who plays as snipers.

Bear
05-08-2006, 03:20 AM
spazztroy is also a good source of info if you want to look into the bolt-action rifle department.

AustinWolv
05-08-2006, 07:24 AM
I think some would say there are snipers and then there are players who carry sniper rifles.
Just like with any other replica, it is not the replica category that is liked or disliked; it is how well the player uses that replica. As far as I have seen, the only thing people dislike about snipers is if the person is shooting people too close. Other than that, plenty of people have gone that route and skirmished just fine. If the player with the sniper rifle knows their strengths and weaknesses, they can be a valuable asset.

On the other side of coin, people who use sniper rifles are just more people on the field; they are no better or no worse than any other player using a replica category.

Bloodless
05-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Ok, cool, thanks 4 the replies.

AustinWolv
05-08-2006, 05:21 PM
"4" is a numeric character, not a word. Please reference site rule #18. Thanks for your cooperation.

LaPHtA
05-09-2006, 07:13 AM
I think some would say there are snipers and then there are players who carry sniper rifles.

So very true.

If you are serious about getting into sniping in Airsoft, be certain you know what you are getting into. Expect days of not firing a single shot. And, expect to get shot in the head/face quite often. IF you are wanting to put your rifle into the Sniper velocities, be ready to dump a lot of money into it for the upgrades and the upkeep. And also make sure you have a backup on your person that shoots at the lower velocities for the closer shots.

Arsenic
05-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Another important thing to think about is how well you can judge distance. Going with TASO limits...you can only engage a target up to a certain point....and you seriously need to know where that limit is.

I tend to get really upset when I sniper shoots at me from 20 feet with a sniper velocity. I'm sure I'm not the only one!

laredogunner
05-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Huh, sniping seems much more complicated now than I had originally thought it out to be. Maybe I will reconsider it for the time being since I have been playing only for a few weeks. Then again, one of my friends is looking for one, so I guess its still on.