PDA

View Full Version : ESS Goggles

VelvetElvis
09-10-2003, 10:32 AM
I want comfortable, sealing goggles. I wear racquetball glasses now. So far, so good. There is still something nagging at me and I have learned, through several freak accidents, to always trust my instincts. I don't want to waste 20 bucks on some cheapo goggles that will fog up too severely to use or be incredibly uncomfortable.

Does anyone know if these are worth the money???

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/esstacther.html

Any advice is appreciated.

AustinWolv
09-10-2003, 10:45 AM
I haven't used that particular pair myself, so I cannot comment on their anti-fog capability. I can say that ESS goggles are quite good, and the ones I have are quite comfortable (TurboCams). Just the lens themselves were a step up from the JT goggles I used previously. Not sure why, but my JT goggles seemed to scuff and scratch really easily, whereas my current ESS goggles haven't.

Take a look at Lightfighter's forums, as there is quite a bit of goggle info in there.

mcoupe11
09-10-2003, 12:39 PM
ESS makes decent goggles. I've found that, on my particular model (Striketeam XTO), it is helpful to tear off the soft foam on top of the goggles; this alleviates fogging by allowing better ventilation, while not at all compromising the protective qualities of the goggles.

Another advantage of ESS goggles is that replacement lenses can be purchased for a decent price, and changing the lenses is a fairly easy thing to do. My the surface of my previous lens became marred and scratched over time, due to the somewhat rough cloth which I used in the field to wipe them off. I clean my new lens only at home, with water and a non-abrasive cloth.

Skizm
09-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by mcoupe11
My the surface of my previous lens became marred and scratched over time, due to the somewhat rough cloth which I used in the field to wipe them off.

The surface of my previous lens became marred and scratched over time, due to the somewhat rough cloth which I used in the field to wipe them off.

The Grammer Nazi gets busted

<Had to do it>

mcoupe11
09-10-2003, 01:04 PM
The error arose as I reworded the sentence. I shall leave it as it is for the satisfaction of all.

Rayzor
09-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Rest assured, he has been busted before. ;)

By me.

mcoupe11
09-10-2003, 01:29 PM
The lack of punctuation in your post tempts me to reciprocate. You too, Skizm. Tread cautiously. :p

chrisvalla
09-10-2003, 02:52 PM
OK, pulling off subject a bit more...

I had to deal with this on another forum once...

I just told everyone my 'glass house' can handle a rock or two compared to their 'piles of stones'. It REALLY irked me that someone had written two paragraphs worth of garbage with no capitalization, no punctuation, misspelled words, mistyped words, and a few phrases that just didn't even follow bastardized net-speak grammar 'suggestions' (forget calling them rules) - they didn't even bother to capitalize 'I'. On top of all of that, he was asking for someone to hold his hand in doing something and provide him with detailed instructions, explanations, and step-by-step pictures of how to do something that was already posted in a thread not 90 days before.

I totally lost my cool just reading that post since the author had to go out of their way to try to avoid every basic grammar rule in the post and then had the audacity to ask to be spoon-fed on top of it.

OK, back on subject...

By taking the foam padding off the ESSs you got them to stay fog-free? I'll have to try that; when the humidity gets over 60% or we play right after/during a rain, I can't keep mine clear worth a darn even after coating them with Windex or shaving cream. I had heard about doing that, but didn't really want to rip up my $60 goggles.

mcoupe11
09-10-2003, 03:20 PM
The Striketeam XTO model that I have is intended for use by firefighters, and, as such, is designed to keep out airborne particles, ash, smoke, and so on; that is what the soft foam is for. That same foam, however, tends to impede the flow of humid air out of the goggles, leading to fogging. Fogging still occurs even after the removal of said foam, but has so far been less severe than it was previously.

The Striketeam XTO does, I believe, have the ballistic specifications of the military/LE models ESS produces, and I know from experience that it will deflect BBs, despite the ominous warning ESS includes in the manual about not using their goggles for airsoft or paintball.

VelvetElvis
09-10-2003, 03:54 PM
I ordered a pair of these about an hour ago.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/esstacther.html

I will make sure I post a review once I receive them and get in a few skirmishes. I won't have them in time for Hunter's this weekend but I will wear the H-E-double hockey sticks out of them during OP: SD.

As always, thanks for the advice.

Athena
09-10-2003, 03:57 PM
Hey Chris,

I think I was the one that suggested windex. I found out later from Flores, that is not really a good idea. It's not good for the lense. I used anti-fog spray this past Saturday and I didn't have a problem with fogging. Also, another tip that may have contributed to that is to keep your hat away from the brim of your goggles. Hope this helps. :cool:

Dragon
09-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Brims definitely contribute to fogging. Hence the ESS Turbo Cams not having that issue. (They ventilate air, brim or no brim.)