PDA

View Full Version : To Buy or Not To Buy?

Spartan
02-07-2006, 01:45 PM
I was looking for a low cost yet formidible night vision monocular and stumbled upon one at acadamy that only cost $130 and looked OK. I was going to come out to hunters last weekend to discuss the subject but wasn't able to make it due to the early starting time. The model I was looking at is the Famous Trails FT350 Recon with 2.5X image magnification. It is a gen 1 monocular with an IR emitter, maybe you can give me some advice as to wether I should buy it or not. If you know of a better one, please let me know but keep in mind that, since I don't have a job or reliable source of income (other than allowance), I don't have much to spend. Thanks for your time and effort!

Marimba
02-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Don't. These are a fixed focus device which need a good deal of ambient light in order to work well. The IR emitter will cause you to broadcast your location to any who also have NV. Good NV equipment is very expensive, and the little time you would use it would not justify it's cost. Buy something more practical...like a sidearm.

AustinWolv
02-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Marimba is correct. To expand on the IR comment, it will also be fairly limited in the distance that it projects. The built-in IR is mostly for close-up work, like reading maps, activities within 20 feet, etc.

Moreover, since night skirmishes don't take place that frequently, your money would be better spent on extra mags, a sidearm, a backup AEG.....things of that nature.