PDA

View Full Version : Hero Arms RPK drum mag 1st impressions

AustinWolv
01-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Got mine yesterday. Pretty good construction on it. Exterior is solid. Thin wiring on the inside, but if you aren't yanking the cover off, no big deal. The winding and feed gears are plastic, so I would take care not to overwind the drum. The feed tube from the winding mech up to the magwell insertion feed hole is a hard, formed rubber, so it does not look like it will deform.

Test-fired this morning. Feeds great. However, when fully-wound it only feeds 37 rounds. Confirmed that twice. So you need to keep hitting the pressure switch if you are looking for extended bursts. They sacrificed a bit in this area in order to minimize the space the mechanism takes up in favor of BB capacity. Not a problem since you can keep hitting the winding switch. http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

I have a metal body on my RPK, and I think it is the CA version.....the drum mag did not fit in. The front bracket catch which has the lip was a bit too wide as you inserted it farther into the magwell. Just a tad of filing on the drum mag bracket, along with some repeated cycles of insertion/removal makes it fit, but very, very snug. This is a body in which TM hi-caps fit about perfectly, as in they don't rattle back-n-forth or side-to-side.

The drum isn't as easy to reload as let's say a M249 box mag, but it holds a lot of rounds and appears to feed well.
To load it, there is a large screw on the back cover that is removed, and the cover is just pulled off. Probably need to exercise a bit of caution as yanking it off could pull on the wiring. Slide a spring-loaded lever over, and then dump BBs in. It holds a lot for sure, as advertised. Put the cover back on, tighten the screw, and then actuate a small depress nub on the front of the drum through a small hole. That small hole catches the spring-loaded lever when loading. When you depress that nub, it releases the lever to allow it to keep pressure on the BBs, forcing them towards the feed gear.

The only downside that I've found thus far is the battery storage. They have two L-shaped pieces glued into the drum body that a rubber bands loops over on each end. You then stick the battery case in between those and the rubber band rides over the top of it to keep it from rattling around. Not a huge deal, but not an indicator of a complete, finished design. It works and rubber bands are cheap, so whatever. Leaving it out just means the battery case can move around some, but it shouldn't interfere with anything.

So far, a good-looking product.

Kilo
02-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Sweet first impressions, Wolv!

Does this also mean that we will be seeing you field the RPK soon? Hahahaha

AustinWolv
02-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Hm, why would you think that? ;)