PDA

View Full Version : Ghetto charger question

Rayzor
01-21-2006, 03:05 PM
When I purchased my (used) TM M4, I received with it a Radioshack 9V 800mAh AC Adapter for charging the batteries (It has a Tamiya connector spliced on the end). The guy I bought it from told me it takes 3 or 4 hours to fully charge the 8.4v 600mAh batteries it came with. Last weekend I purchased a high-output Airsoft Elite 9.6v 1800mAh NiMH battery from Agrovale (Thanks buddy). I have a few questions about charging this one with my charger.

(1) About how long do you think I should leave the battery on the charger?
(2) Since it has a slow charge rate, am I correct in assuming that I don't need to worry about overcharging/damaging the battery unless I leave it on too long?

Let me know what you think.

AustinWolv
01-21-2006, 05:35 PM
1. There is a link in the FAQ with suggested charging time. Unfortunately, the link is broken, and we'll need to fix that.....anyway, here is another: http://www.csgnetwork.com/batterychgcalc.html

It sounds like he hacked together a charger, since it does not have an 8.4v setting.

2. Yes, it should be fine since the charge current is pretty low. I would advise thinking about investing in even a low-cost peak charger in order to get the best capacity out of our battery packs as possible.