PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Mold VS. Tops - Input Anyone?

spade
11-26-2005, 11:38 AM
I have been doing some research on the Mosquito Molds drum magazine kits and comparing it to the Tops drum magazine kits. For my gun it is obviously a substantial difference of either 3000rds (Mosquito) or 1000rds (Tops)

However, I have spoken with Airsoft Global and Redwolf Airsoft who both comment that the Mosquito Mold products, specifically the drum magazines are fairly unstable and not constructed ofthe best material. The Tops, being a manual wind magazine, was referred as being potentially a bit more reliable but still constructed rather 'cheaply'. The owner of The Q Project, the California rep store for Redwolf Airsoft, said that all he had to say about both products was..."sheet metal, that's all I have to say".

So, I wanted to get anyone's input that has experience with either of these products and could make a recommendation as to which one might be a better purchase. Based on these companies input, I am basically taking a gamble on either product.

My final alternative would be to purchase more hi-cap mag's, which I grow tired of winding when I'm in the heat of battle, or mid-cap mag's which I would blow through rather quickly - BUT NO WINDING!

Happy left-over 'tryptophan' napping!

Spade

AustinWolv
11-26-2005, 01:09 PM
The TOP AK drum mag I had was NOT worth the money. Used it with my RPK, and it fed really, really well when it didn't jam. Unfortunately, it jammed quite often, and I carried backup hi-caps for those instances. After just two skirmishes in which I was using the hi-caps more than the drum.....well, you get the picture. However, others have used the MP5 drum mags and have had them work well. The AK TOP drum mag is cheaply made, specifically the gear mechanism.

Secondly, don't get a drum mag. Just my opinion that they are pretty lame unless you are running a support weapon.