PDA

View Full Version : Flightsim anyone?

squeegeeboy
11-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Just curious to see if anyone plays any flightsims, MS flightsim, x-plane etc. I play a stupid amount of MS Flightsim on-line...all the time.

Dark Paladin
11-08-2005, 07:26 PM
The last great flight sim I played was Freespace (and Freespace 2). A few months ago I got caught up in nostalgia and started playing community-built Wing Commander Privateer port. Currently have the itch to start playing Star Wars X-Wing Alliance.

Unfortunately there is no good Star Wars fleet-based simulation, which is what I'm really itching for. . .

AustinWolv
11-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Katana and Falcon are fans of some flight sims, I think.

I used to play Falcon Gold or something like that a loooooong time ago. It was interesting for a little while. Also played some TieFighter long ago, butpretty sure that is not categorized at the same level of realistic detail, etc. Probably the most fun I've had with flying games was the Ace Combat series. Definitely not a flight sim. :)

masterofpuppets
11-08-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm an IL2fb addict. Im looking for a good modern sim, but haven't played a decent one since the last of the Janes sims.

squeegeeboy
11-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Nice, I'm more into the realistic flightsims, specifically MS Flight Sim 2004: Century of Flight. I used to think flying like they do in 'the real world' was boring and couldn't understand the fun in flying from say...Dallas (KDFW) to Phoenix (KPHX), in real time. Now I'll totally look forward to the end of class so I can come home and take a two hour long hop somewhere. What's more fun is playing online on the Vatsim (http://www.vatsim.net) servers. It's like any other multiplayer server except that they serve worldwide and have on-line ATC (air traffic control). So picture guys all around the world, staring at their screens, NOT flying, just directing planes...I don't know if I'd like that job but they certainly make flying on-line much more fun and realistic.

So yeah, if anyone plays MS Flightsim, gimme a PM or something, I'm online all the time and I'm always up for flying some hops online.

masterofpuppets
11-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Nice, I'm more into the realistic flightsims, specifically MS Flight Sim 2004: Century of Flight. I used to think flying like they do in 'the real world' was boring and couldn't understand the fun in flying from say...Dallas (KDFW) to Phoenix (KPHX), in real time. Now I'll totally look forward to the end of class so I can come home and take a two hour long hop somewhere. What's more fun is playing online on the Vatsim (http://www.vatsim.net) servers. It's like any other multiplayer server except that they serve worldwide and have on-line ATC (air traffic control). So picture guys all around the world, staring at their screens, NOT flying, just directing planes...I don't know if I'd like that job but they certainly make flying on-line much more fun and realistic.

So yeah, if anyone plays MS Flightsim, gimme a PM or something, I'm online all the time and I'm always up for flying some hops online.

I've been thinking about buying FS2004 and some military add-ons. The thought of flying an F-14 supersonic over Austin and going out to sea to land on the carrier is a nice one.

Dark Paladin
11-09-2005, 12:54 AM
I've been thinking about buying FS2004 and some military add-ons. The thought of flying an F-14 supersonic over Austin and going out to sea to land on the carrier is a nice one.

Yeah, I remember landing a Cessna and a learjet on the CVN outside of San Francisco in FS5. . . that was fun. . .

squeegeeboy
11-09-2005, 07:17 AM
I tookoff from a carrier in a 737...zero'd out all the payload and fuel except for maybe 200lbs of fuel. Backed up to the absolute edge of the carrier, throttled up to 100% with the brakes on and made sure we had a nice head wind...it ruled. Ill try to do it again and take a screenshot.

AustinWolv
11-09-2005, 07:21 AM
squeegee, that is hilarious. No catapult was simulated?

CyanRiven
11-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Dont know if this really applies but Star Wars Battlefront 2 is out already and your suppose to be able to fly in some of the movie battles along with being able to land on capital ships and get out to fight on foot. "Suppose" to far out do its predisesor (sp?), which in my oppinion really sucked. I'm going to give it a try, I belive this will be my birthday present. Hopfully the wife gives and lets me have it before my birthday though... since ill be running around in the dark with you guys on that weekend.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swbattlefrontii/indexFlash.html

CenterMass
11-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Falcon 4.0 Allied Force and Lock On Modern Air Combat (LOMAC) are some good modern combat flight sims. LOMAC has more flyable Russian planes than US, the developer is in Russia.

I good place for sim information is simhq.com.

Dark Paladin
11-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Dont know if this really applies but Star Wars Battlefront 2 is out already and your suppose to be able to fly in some of the movie battles along with being able to land on capital ships and get out to fight on foot. "Suppose" to far out do its predisesor (sp?), which in my oppinion really sucked. I'm going to give it a try, I belive this will be my birthday present. Hopfully the wife gives and lets me have it before my birthday though... since ill be running around in the dark with you guys on that weekend.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swbattlefrontii/indexFlash.html

Supposedly Star Wars Empire at War would allow you to have planteary and space fleet engagements. Have only seen previews and highly marketable screenshots, so don't know how that will pan out yet. Due out sometime in '06 though.

squeegeeboy
11-09-2005, 10:17 AM

Nope no catapult. Although you can download a catapult addon and throw it onto any of the aircraft gauge panels. I'm not aware of any carriers being in flightsim by default, but the one I had downloaded supported the use of the catapult gauge addon. It basically has marked spots on the catapult ramps that when you roll over them, the gauge picks up on that fact and with the push of a key you get rocketed forward...I SHOULD try that with the 737/747/777 or some other 'heavy'.

masterofpuppets
11-09-2005, 10:35 AM

http://img422.imageshack.us/img422/4509/file0lm.jpg

I think this picture is going to make me stop by Frys today....

CyanRiven
11-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Supposedly Star Wars Empire at War would allow you to have planteary and space fleet engagements. Have only seen previews and highly marketable screenshots, so don't know how that will pan out yet. Due out sometime in '06 though.

Ohhh... Link?
Yeah I'm a StarWars NUT!

squeegeeboy
11-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Ok, well got out of class today and made a video of my 737 carrier takeoff. Then I tried to land it...notice the engines touch the water on the first landing try. Anyhow, enjoy.

One note about rapidshare, I hate using em but its free file hosting. Click the link below, then scroll down and select 'free' from that menu, on the next page scroll to the bottom and you should see a timer counting down from 30 to 45 seconds, once its done there'll be a link called '737carrier.mpg' or something similar. Then just right-click that link and save as. Should download pretty fast, the vid is 15mb or so.

737carrier.mpg (http://rapidshare.de/files/7404032/737carrier.mpg.html)

Dark Paladin
11-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Ohhh... Link?
Yeah I'm a StarWars NUT!

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar/indexFlash.html#

Seems promising. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into another Rebellion.

masterofpuppets
11-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Damn you squeege... I bought FS04 today.

squeegeeboy
11-09-2005, 03:01 PM
All I have to say to that is 'nice!'. Feel free to hit me up on aim if you need any help with things relating to MS flightsim. Did you watch the video?