PDA

View Full Version : ACU: green or tan?

Smog
11-07-2005, 03:07 PM
I''m having trouble deciding, and want to know what you guys think. Would ACU be considered green or tan?

CyanRiven
11-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Cant say... I do know a number of people (in our airsoft world) who dont like it simply because you cant really tell. My thoughts? If you wear it expect some friendly fire. If I cant tell ill shoot and ask questions later, id rather you walk to the respawn point than me.

Just my two cents.

Dragon
11-07-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm with CyanRiven here. I'll shoot first and apologize afterwards if it was an FF problem.

AustinWolv
11-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Much like Cyan's faded-out knockoff MARPAT (:p), it can be hard to tell at times as it looks grayish to me.

Event organizers have typically specified prior, but I think the jury is still out: http://www.specopscenarios.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=147&highlight=acu

kestrel
11-07-2005, 08:42 PM
I consider it to be more of an "urban" type pattern than green or tan. I do belive that it would work best in a desert type area, but thats just speculation.
I will also note that it does gain a slight green tint when your in the shadows.

I honestly couldnt make a firm decision about which type it is though.

Bear
11-07-2005, 08:43 PM
At one of the last Roanoke operations, I believe ACU was classified as Tan for that particular scenario. In my honest opinion, from a distance I think it leans more to the tan side than the green.

CyanRiven
11-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Much like Cyan's faded-out knockoff MARPAT (:p), it can be hard to tell at times as it looks grayish to me.

Dont worry baby, I hooked up some issue uniforms just for you. :)
If your lucky i'll give you a second chance and let you wash these ones too. :D

AustinWolv
11-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Right on, Cyan. I'll make sure to wash it with clothes of your favorite Navy color: pink.

:D

red112
11-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Right on, Cyan. I'll make sure to wash it with clothes of your favorite Navy color: pink.

:D
Funny you said that because his tan pants are now a shade of pink thanks to a dead rag being left in the pocket.

Dragon
11-08-2005, 05:48 PM
During WW2 they had uniforms they called "Pinks". :)

Kilo
11-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Careful Wolv...

He's Navy and calling you 'baby' in his post...

AustinWolv
11-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Always watch your six. :)

It looks like those who have voted mirror the indecision in this thread. It would be interesting to see ACU more in the field to get a better feel for it, as I think I've only seen it once perhaps.

Arsenic
11-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Funny thing about the ACU.....its not really designed to be one or the other as everyone knows....so its really up to the Op organizer as to what they want to classify it. I was just issued it yesterday....and its alot more grey than I really care for. Our Desert MOLLE II FLCs go better with it than our old Woodland LBVs do so I would lean more towards tan I guess. I guess I can send pictures of us fielding it in Bosnia....thats really gonna put it to the test!

Smog
11-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Thank you Arsenic and everyone else giving their two cents.

IMIRanger
11-08-2005, 09:55 PM
I had a guy come through Randalls wearing it. Name and Army patch were tilted down. I'm not sure if I like it.

lost_soul
11-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Well I know Stinger Team and TEF both switched over to ACU. In the prairie landscape it blends very easily, luckily for us they like to wear black vests/helmets :D .

Arsenic
11-09-2005, 12:28 AM
I had a guy come through Randalls wearing it. Name and Army patch were tilted down. I'm not sure if I like it.

Tilted down how? Both name and US Army tapes are supposed to be horizontal. They are not supposed to follow the chest pockets.Sounds like someone wasnt wearing the uniform correctly.

IMIRanger
11-09-2005, 09:30 AM
I don't know how they are supposed to be. The patched were not horizontal though. noth of them tilted down: US Army >\ /<Name

Dragon
11-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Probably a stupid airsofter. :)

Dark Paladin
11-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Let me guess, he aligned the name tapes along with the flap of the front pockets?

Arsenic
11-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Well the ACUs come with the velcro already sewn onto the shirt....so most likely he is wearing a knock off brand...and not the actual issue ACU. I would be willing to bet he is in fact....a poser. I'm wearig the ACUs right now...and I can tell you the tapes are in no way slanted in any direction. The guy you say is a phony. Kick his ass for me if you see him again.

IMIRanger
11-09-2005, 10:53 PM
No way. His son works with me. I know for a fact that he is in the Army. I had another person come through today. A woman wearing it; not slanted I asked her how she lies it and she told me she really liked it. It was more comfortable, felt like pajamas. She also showed me the little patch that showes up on night vision. I never knew about those. She also told me that in the field you blend in very well. What do you think about it Arsenic?

AustinWolv
11-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Pics are fun: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/acu.htm

Arsenic
11-11-2005, 10:26 PM
I dont really think they work all that well in the field. She is more than likely qouting something she heard another joe saying....who was probably a pogue to begin with. I mean....sure they blend in well in the field.....if your idea of the "field" is inside the TOC!

Smog
11-11-2005, 10:48 PM
pogue?

Bear
11-12-2005, 01:12 AM
POGUE:
1. Derogatory military slang used by front line troops to describe staff and other rear echelon or support units/troops
2. Synonymous to "poser"
3. see also "asshat"

Smog
11-12-2005, 01:40 AM
ah, thank you.

red112
11-12-2005, 03:07 AM
also know as POG

People Other than Grunt

Arsenic
11-12-2005, 04:07 AM
hey this is arsenic's wifey... lol i was going through his email... aint i a bad wifey lol.... the acu's ehhhhh they are so ugly.. they look like pajamas... but hubby thinks they are veryyyy comfy!!!!!

AustinWolv
11-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Jurss, looks like you have an "email opsec" problem. ;)

shakman
11-12-2005, 08:55 AM
I was up in Killeen yesterday when I saw a group of soldiers wearing their newly-issued ACU's. I must say...I don't like 'em (the uniform, that is). After seeing them up close, they look more grey than anything else.

I fail to see how it'll be effective in both desert and woodland environments. I guess that's why I'm not an engineer of such things.

They definately won't be suitable for the airsoft field unless you want to be the target of friendly fire.

Just my 2 cents...

Smog
11-12-2005, 10:55 AM
:ninja: I'm sure that the Army has put a substantial amount of money and time into the development of this camouflage to make it work. I don't think they would make ACU for both environments, and then while marveling at their work, sit back and think, "Shit, that really looks grey."
However, with that said.....it does look grey, but next time you see Doc, check out how well his blends in. Personally I like it, but I can see how people wouldn't. :P

Kilo
11-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Well, I don't mean to start trouble, but oh well...

I believe that ACU won over Multicam due to better marketing (read: payoff, titty bars, etc..) If one researches the testing, one will find that multicam was superior in all aspects to any other camoflage that was being considered.

Personally, I feel angry that once again, our troops 'benefit' from the lowest bidder and back-door dealing by better lobbyists/marketing gurus. They should have the most effective gear/uniforms that are available, no matter what.

Arsenic
11-15-2005, 09:54 PM
I would have to agree with that assessment. I think the Multicam wouldve been a better choice....or perhaps even the ACU design with the woodland pattern. You know....with the pockets and velcro and all that....but in woody cam. I like the way they are made, I just dont really like the colors too much. I cant really speculate as to whether or not they really work yet...but I think some of the guys in Iraq like them, and I'm hoping they work well in Bosnia. If not....thank god for Interceptors and SAPI plates!

Smog
11-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Comments have been noted. Thanks for the input guys, keep it comin'!

Woody cam with the ACU style would be great Arsenic.