PDA

View Full Version : thompson break

MetalBMX52
08-15-2003, 09:39 PM
ive heard some places that the m1a1's front barrel/grip is crappy. My brothers has broken. Should i just locktite/gorrilla glue it back on or should i take a differnt approach?

AustinWolv
08-15-2003, 10:51 PM
The Thompson AEG is a very solid, well-built weapon. However, it does have that weak point that people have seen failures at. I suspect it comes from some rough play though, as that part is not that easy to break from normal use. I would not categorize it as "crappy", but it not indestructible either.

I would glue it back on, since you do not need to take it apart in order to get to the mechbox or hopup/inner barrel assemblies. JB Weld (found at hardware stores) would probably be the strongest way to mount it.

mcoupe11
08-16-2003, 07:12 AM
I'm not at all familiar with the Thompson, but I do remember that http://www.airsoftgear.com/ had something called a "Cyrus Bridge" which they were promoting as a fix for the Thompson's barrel problems. It may be a completely unrelated matter, but I'm not sure as I don't quite understand from BMX's post what the exact nature of the problem is.

NanashiRoff
08-19-2003, 07:30 PM
The part that bridges the outer barrel with the upper receiver can crack. That doesn't mean it will, but I've seen it happen on my gun, and from what I found out, I'm not alone.

Fortunately for everyone, it wasn't anything that 5 minutes and some JB Weld didn't fix.

spade
04-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Hmmmm - JB Weld you say? Well, I can say that my experience with JB Weld has not been quite the bond strength that I'm needing. The part that bridges the outer barrel with the upper receiver on my ICS MP5 cracked a few skirmishes ago. First I tried JB Welding that portion of the gun back together, didn't hold so well. The second time around I tried JB Welding both the cracked arms and the actual portion that the upper receiver slides onto the main body assembly and hoped for the best - still pulled back apart.

I read somewhere that because many of these guns are made of a metal alloy and plastic that JB Weld isn't necessarily going to hold quite as well as one would think. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Perhaps liquid nails (the polyurethane blend) or perhaps something a little stronger? Obviously because the metal is a synthetic alloy an actual welding job wouldn't hold either.....

Not much fun with my newly purchased JAC m16 not firing and now this....anyone want to buy an airsoft collection? JUST KIDDING! I'm just extremely frustrated with my recent "issues".

Dirus
04-11-2006, 07:04 PM
I've used Gorilla glue a lot on wood. It ends up being stronger than the wood itself (seeps into pores), but never used it on a metal surface. It does say it works on metals and plastics however. It leaves a brown foam, but a razor can peel off the excess.

AustinWolv
04-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Considering this thread was about the Thompson, it might not apply for your ICS.

There is always an application-specific adhesive that is designed for certain uses. For this particular fix, JB-Weld or 2-part epoxy is good enough to do the fix in a common manner for the average person. One thing to remember is to lightly sand mating surfaces and then clean them so the adhesive can do its' job on the base material.

spade
04-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I'll be sanding and Jb Welding my heart out tonight! And just in case, I'll tote along a roll of black duct tape in case of an emergency - duct tape, the cure all for just about the common anything!