PDA

View Full Version : Banned from chat

Dark Paladin
07-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Okay, so this is getting on the verge of annoying.

Of the 2nd day I started using chat, I've been banned yet again by the system. Now, before smartaleck responses crop up, I have not violated any rules or regulations or ordinances that I could see (I even doublechecked the rules section just to be sure).

Apparently the problem, after speaking with someone at webmaster, lies with the chat applet logging off and logging on constantly. It almost sound like I'm reaching a connection limit somehow, and the system automatically bans me for too many connections.

I am using Mozilla Firefox 1.0.2 and Windows XP Pro to view the site.

So this leads to two questions:

1) Any idea on what it'll take to fix this?

2) How long does an automatic ban like that last?

Thanks much in advance.

HammerHead
07-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Hard to explain... but.. you weren't banned for a rules violation. Your account got caught in an infinite loop logging you in and out of the chat. It floods the chatroom and repeats the in and out sounds in each new iteration of the loop. The only thing we (admins) can do to prevent it from continuing is to ban you. Kicking didn't work.

As I understand it, the ban should only last ten minutes. Please try to log in again shortly and let me know how it goes. In the future, it would be better if you send a PM to one of the chat admins when you're concerned :)

Dark Paladin
07-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Stupid infinite loops. . . so we're sure this isn't an OBOB?

And its been almost two hours, and I'm still banned.

I'm wondering if this is a Firefox specific issue. . .?

HammerHead
07-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Not sure.

Maybe Obs removed the timer. I'll drop him a private message.

Never been able to get the chat to work using FireFox at home. Could be specific.

LaPHtA
07-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Sorry about that, DP..you know it wasn't personal :)

Last we spoke to Obs it's a 10 minute cookie setting...maybe clear your cache of all LSA cookies and try again?

LaPHtA
07-26-2005, 04:54 PM
One other thing to try is to log-out of the LSA website completely as well...then log back in and move on into the chat?

Also, maybe use an ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew in the even it's IP based?

Dark Paladin
07-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Sorry about that, DP..you know it wasn't personal :)

Uh huh. . . sure. . . I feel the love. . . ;)

One other thing to try is to log-out of the LSA website completely as well...then log back in and move on into the chat?

Yup, that seems to have fixed it. I'm going to try using IE only and see if the problem is limited to Firefox.