PDA

View Full Version : PSG-1 bipod question

Choeki
07-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Greetings,

I'm in the middle of converting an old MC51 into a long range support weapon and I'm currently trying to find a bipod I can attach to the PSG-1 handguard other than the stock Marui one (which apparently is no longer produced?). I've looked through the forums and there's plenty of information about upgrading and using PSG-1 parts, but nothing on bipod options. Has anyone successfully attached a rail to the metal gutter on the bottom of the handguard? I haven't seen any specifically manufactured items for sale for this particular problem, but I imagine there is some way of modifying an existing part?

lost_soul
07-14-2005, 10:09 AM
WGC shop still sells it for the time being.
http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=TM-ACC-BIP-PSG1_cat_Bipods

Choeki
07-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks! You would think it would be easy to find it in Japan, but I keep running into stonewalling store employees that don't want to put in orders for non-general replacement parts.

By the way, you wouldn't happen to know where I could get the older tripod version as well?

AustinWolv
07-14-2005, 11:25 AM
I love classics, but carrying a 25 pound SCUBA tank while running around in a forest is not exactly my idea of a "leisure activity." Ever try a 20oz CO2 bottle? Or an HPA bottle? :confused:

Sorry about the thread jack.

Choeki
07-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Ever try a 20oz CO2 bottle? Or an HPA bottle? :confused:

Sorry about the thread jack.

Both of those items are pretty rare to come by in Japan - classics are pretty much dead here, with the exception of die-hard heavy machinegunners.

For now, the only operational power supply I own is an M4 Sherman airtank - and it won't hold enough pressure to cycle a JAC BV system. I do have two scuba tanks, but one has expired inspection stamps and has a medical valve on it (which the scuba shops won't touch) and the other is an aluminum Asahi "Super Tank" (which the scuba shop will fill for me, but I can't use because I don't have a regulator).

No worries about the threadjack. :p

AustinWolv
07-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Ah, I understand now. Didn't know it was hard to come by alternative gas sources. That is sad. I've got a Sherman as well....pretty useless except for just cycling a gun a few times to see if it works. LOL!

Choeki
07-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Spoke too soon! I found a used PSG-1 bipod on Yahoo Japan auctions for around $10US. Hopefully I'll win it...

As for the M4, about the only gun I can use it with is my Maruzen Mini-Aug. A full tank lasts about one skirmish, and considering I have 10 magazines for the Mini-Aug it's not horrible. Even without hop-up, I end up getting fairly long-range shots off and an extremely high ROF. However, the hose getting caught on tree-branches and the lack of high capacity magazines along with having to wear a backpack detracts from this...

Choeki
07-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Eh. I ended up losing - someone else wants it more than me and is willing to pay near retail for a used bipod...

Anyway, does anyone know if there is a ready-made 20mm rail for the metal gutter located on the underside of the PSG-1 handguard? I'm aware there is a variety of rails manufactured for the top of a PSG-1, but I already soved that particular problem...

HammerHead
07-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Have you considered the First Factory MSG90 front end kit? If you haven't already purchased the PSG1 front end, this is a good option. It comes with a 20mm rail already installed. Whether not you want the extended outter barrel is another matter.

Choeki
07-19-2005, 09:20 AM
I did consider the MSG-90 kit, but I managed to get an entire PSG-1 front-end assembly for $60 (minus the bipod and an inner barrel) so I passed it over. The whole rifle is actually already put together now, with the exception of the Systema closed cylinder I ordered for $16. The 650mm barrel was a little difficult to fit into the PSG-1 outer barrel as I had to drill out the plastic insert in the end of the outer barrel, but other than an FPS drop (due to the MC-51 cylinder in the mechbox) it should be ready to field soon. The bipod would make it more comfortable to shoot in the prone (which is primarily how I will deploy it), but I suppose it can wait...