PDA

View Full Version : Dump Pouches....HSGI or SAS

Kilo
06-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Hello all,

I read the archives about how many of you liked your SAS dump pouches, and I am considering getting one.

My question is that I noticed many going towards the HSGI dump pouch and would like to know your experiences with which one you like better.

Thanks,

Kilo

Ralph Wiggum
06-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Kilo, are you talking about the drop-leg pouches? If so, I can't really comment on the SAS dump pouch, but the HSGI works great. It holds plenty of empty magazines and it's easy to get in and out of. It would be very difficult for something to fall out of the dump pouch (unless you are hanging upside down). I'm not 100% sure you can get an HSGI dump pouch in multi-cam though.

AustinWolv
06-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Kilo, I've had both. The HSGI is far, far larger. Both are good products. The SAS is a bit better about being a true dump-puch though in my opinion as the flap is a bit easier to get mags past quickly and can be velcro'd in the open position. The SAS only comes in drop-leg option (or belt-mount) IIRC, while the HSGI is available in drop-leg or as PALS-backed.

I do like that the HSGI has the zipper on the top, and I'm sure if I broke it in some more, it would be easier to get mags in. I've been mainly using mine to hold M249 200rd box mags (2 will fit easily). The HSGI will hold a LOT of mags....it is worth mentioning again. Another feature of the HSGI is a small utility pouch on one side with PALS webbing on the other side. The SAS doesn't have any of that.

If I were to pick, I'd say the HSGI.

Bstann
06-03-2005, 03:44 PM
I have went through numerous dump pouches and have to say that the HSGI product was my favorite. I use both the PAL's and Drop leg version currently on my gear.
A big thing for me is the plastic insert that keeps the top square. I never have to fool with a pouch that has closed in on itself.

squeegeeboy
06-03-2005, 11:01 PM
So, just to be clear, and...I've been a bit confused after a bit of research. The HSGI dump pouch has the slit on the top of the pouch therefore making mag dumping easier and also has a reinforced top to help it keep its shape? If so...I may be getting one soon as well. Last weekend during one round I had a helluva time changing mags and trying to get them into the cargo pockets on my pants with speed. In which case the hsgi pouch sounds right up my alley. Forgive my questioning nature, all the pics I found of the HSGI pouch online where from the side and didn't show the top so I was trying to figure which one had the opening in the top.

HammerHead
06-03-2005, 11:05 PM
This image, from OPTactical, pretty much says it all, squeegee:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/optacticalgear_1847_30686891

squeegeeboy
06-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Indeed it does, thanks, hadn't seen that one at optactical.

boombaby
06-06-2005, 06:24 PM
On terms of height, I am considerably disadvantaged meaning a larger dump pouch would be more of a nuicense then a help. Im not very oriented when it comes to tactical gear and have no idea where to even start looking. The problem is I have no idea how much it should cost. If any one could steer me in the right direction it would be great.

Thanks a load

HammerHead
06-06-2005, 07:15 PM
I'd suggest finding those of us who are wearing dump pouches in various forms and checking them out in person. That way you can get an idea for their overall size, compared to your own, and the different configurations possible.

For starters, you need to know whether or not you want a subload or a pouch for your rig. Then you need to decide what sort of capacity you want. etc. etc. etc.

Most leg rigs can be adjusted vertically, so you can set it to work with you height. Most rig-mounted dumpers work with the MOLLE system, so you'll need a rig capable of accepting MOLLE/MALICE or ALICE attachments.

boombaby
06-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Ill look into that.

red112
06-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Another option is tactical tailor. I have one of there dump pouches and it works pretty good. I have had up to 8 m16 mags in it. The only problem is it sticks out a little more than the others.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/products/leg_rigs/dump_bag/

CenterMass
06-07-2005, 01:50 AM
Another option is tactical tailor. I have one of there dump pouches and it works pretty good. I have had up to 8 m16 mags in it. The only problem is it sticks out a little more than the others.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/products/leg_rigs/dump_bag/

I just got the TT dump pouch and It feel its a little small, but I have never used it in the field yet. How did you get the 8 M16 mags in there? Did you put them in verticaly or horizontaly?

Bstann
06-07-2005, 02:20 AM
I had a TT drop leg and found it to small for me as I was using an AK. 3 or 4 mags and it was full. Also it would allow mags to slip out when i crawled. I tried an eagle after that and it was a bit better but I am completely satisfied with the HSGI one I went to.

red112
06-07-2005, 04:04 PM
I put them in verticaly, but it was a tight fit. Bstann you are right it is not that good if you are using a ak. 4 is about all i have ever put in there.

AustinWolv
06-07-2005, 04:43 PM
The TT dump pouch is a pretty good option if you aren't stowing a lot of mags. I like the elastic lip implementation, but the pouch just isn't that large.
When in a hurry and shoving M16 mags in there, you are only going to fit 5-6. To get 8, you need to arrange them.

boombaby
06-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Hmm. I found a Bird hunting sort of dump pouch system. I dont have the exact name for it however im sure some of you have seen them. It has three pouches, two on each side and one in the back, and each is buttoned shut. Each are considerably large and could fit at least 5 M16 style mags. The whole thing is connected by a belt and is worn that way.

I was thinking that this could be very useful, but wanted to run this by the rest of you all. I might try it out at Hunters this Sunday.

AustinWolv
06-07-2005, 11:48 PM
boombaby, give it a shot. If it works for you, roll with it.

boombaby
06-08-2005, 09:40 AM
I think I will try it, especialy now that I got the pouches to stay shut unless they are needed. If it works ill save money, if it doesnt I will probobly go with the TT dump pouch.

CenterMass
06-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the heads up wolv and Red. :)

Kilo
06-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Just ordered HSGI mod dump in Multicam from SKD Tactical.

Thanks for all the input!!!

Kilo

Bstann
06-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Good Choice. :)