PDA

View Full Version : Weird silencer accident...

Trench_raider
05-21-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure exactly were this should go, so I'll post it here.

I just had an odd accident with my silencer. I have a TM "knights" silencer that I normally have installed on my G3SAS simply to enhance the looks of the gun. As some may recall, that gun is "sick" right now so I have it on my M733. Well as I'm planning on attending tommorrow's TxPB skirmish I was playing around with my gear, loading mags, ect.

At one point I decided to fire off a standard mag from my M733 pulled the trigger. Adter a few seconds of firing, I realised that nothing was coming out of the barrel. Suspecting a jam I ceased firing and dropped the mag. At this point I noticed that the silencer was making a noise like baby rattle. I unscrewed it and BBs rolled out of both the silencer and the gun.

Closer examination showed that the inner foam was wadded up in the end of the silencer and was blocking the shots. Some had actually deflected and the lip on the opening at the end now has a nasty dent. Furthermore, some actually shattered inside the silencer and it took some time to clean out all the shreaded foam and BB shards.

All I can figure is that somehow the foam came loose and obstructed the flight path of the BBs caused them to rebound back into the silencer and cause more damage to the foam lining and thus making the blockage worse.

In the end, it's no big deal as I could care less about the (minimal) deadening effect of the silencer and no damage to the gun seems to have occured.

Like I said, it's a weird accident. Anyone ever have a similar experience?

"Trench Raider"

Dragon
05-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Could have been a couple of things.

Hopup off/misadjusted. If the Hopup isn't set right the BB exiting the barrel may immediately angle out of the muzzle. If it does then it'll grab/hit the lining of the silencer. Whatever that lining may be.

Silencer not threaded on straight. Just one thread missed on longer silencer could put the muzzle of the silencer off enough to not be aligned with the barrel.

Silencer lining sag or rot or what have you. Some silencers have foam inserts and if they are cheap then you run the risk of rot or them drying out. If they get wet and not dried out properly you may have them expand or rot out of shape. Some silencers have metal tubes liners and some have a spring wrapped in a cotton like material and some are just plain foam rings/discs. I think I actually have 1 of each type...

Bent barrel might do it too.

Not sure what happened to your's.

Agrovale
05-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Yep. My aug has done the same thing with a TM SOCOM silencer. Don't know why though.

Forge
05-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Hehe "Silencer Sag"... Happens when you get older...

wildcard
05-23-2005, 02:19 PM
while your speaking about silencers can anyone tell me which ones actualy silence the report. im trying to pick one for my hi-capa 5.1 and i dont know if all (14mm) silencers will fit a 14mm adapter. the ones that are listed for a specific gun but say (14mm) CW, will they really only fit that weapon.

Mattdawg789
06-15-2005, 04:48 PM
I had the same thing happen to me on my TM M733 I ended up having to take out some foam rings and now it works fine.

Wild Card, Just look for a silencer with foam or cotton inserts, those will more or less silence your gun, Even though they don't silence your gun that much they give it a nice thwump sound when you fire. I have also heard of putting dynamat around your gearbox to very effectively silence the gun, but i have not tried that.