PDA

View Full Version : Another Silicone Lubricant question...

Lenbo
05-20-2005, 03:00 AM
Heh... I looked a bit, but didn't find anything that helped, so I guess I'll ask...

I have "CarGo Bulb Grease". It's 100% Silicone Dielectric... no petroleum crapola in it... would it be good to use as lubricant in my VSR-10 Spec? Inside the Cylinder...? It's a little thick... but if I work it to a thin layer, it's actually quite smooth...

I need the gun ready for this weekend, and this is all I have...

I have read that Home Depot sells a product made by Gunk, and I'm sure Radio Shack would have shock oil that I've read about... but I wouldn't know what I need to look for...

Katana
05-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Radio Shack has Lube Gel. Assuming most of the store designs are the same, it's against the back wall in a white tube that almost looks like an oversized toothpaste tube. I got mine at the Parmer and I35 location.

CALI
05-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Lube gel is really good stuff...But for silicone spray/lube Wallmart has Prestone brand for under $5. Automotive section and its a yellow spary can. Hope this helps.

Dark Paladin
05-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Yeah, the Prestone one is what I ended up getting after making the newbie mistake of applying petro-dis. . . I'm still crossing my fingers hoping my Hop-Up isn't ruined. . .

SniperSon2002
10-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Sorry for digging this one up. I came accross a silicone spray by CRC called "Heavy Duty Silicone". It has no petrol-Dist but acetone is the first on this list of contents, I'm not sure what that does to a bucking. Some have told me bad things about it and some have told me good. I'm not sure I want to use it on my rifle untill I've heard the general feeling on this stuff.

HammerHead
10-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Acetone is a solvent which commonly dissolves synthetic rubbers. Given the light guage nature of the hopup bucking, I'd be inclined to believe that acetone will have a negative effect on the bucking.

Stick to pure silicone. It's readily available at nearly any hardware store for about $2. I have a 10oz can of DuPont "Performance Pure Silicone Lubricant". Its uses specifically list "for metal, plastic, rubber". I got it at Lowe's for less than $2 more than a year ago. I've hardly used any of it.

SniperSon2002
10-03-2005, 10:08 PM
When I bought this stuff I read on the back (not saying you are wrong just my reason for getting it) and quote "Lubricates, waterproofs, and insulates metal, plastic, rubber, nylon and wood." thats why I got it not thinking of the "Heavy Duty" portion of it eating rubber. Thx for the reply.

HammerHead
10-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Please let us know how it works out.

SniperSon2002
10-03-2005, 10:21 PM
I have used it twice to clean my barrel with no apparent problems with the hop-up. I guess I guinnee pig it on my SR and see what happens. A bucking is what $5, I guess that would be worth knowing if it is a usable silicone since the one everyone raved about that Wal-Mart is apparently discontinued. I'll keep you guys posted.

AustinWolv
10-04-2005, 12:50 AM
What is the aversion that people have to using pure silicone oil from the R/C car racing industry? 100% known pure R/C car shock oil is all I've used since I started in this hobby. Is it the affinity for a spray can?

CALI
10-04-2005, 10:41 AM
"DO NOT USE CRC" It will melt plastic. Infact, it melted 3 of my cleaning rods. That's how strong this CRC product is.

LongBow
10-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Cali,

When will you be satisfied with a lube? Butter and yogurt just don't do it any more.

Well.................?

Obsidian
10-17-2005, 09:03 AM
I use 2 things on all my guns. Lube Gel from radio shack and Superlube from lowes. The first I use on all things that I want to move and keep moving. I use the superlube on barrels, mags, and hopups. Superlube is good stuff...it has teflon in it. Keeps everything slick without all the crap sticking to it.

Dark Paladin
10-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Where should one apply lube on the mag?

AustinWolv
10-17-2005, 10:01 AM
I've seen a couple trains of thoughts on that......I'm going to assume you are talking about hi-caps.....drop a couple drops down into the BB fill area to work through the gears, spray some down the feed tube, etc. Another route is to fill the mag with some BBs, drop some oil on those, and then fill the mag the rest of the way. Then, shoot that mag through the gun. The BBs moving through the mag and the gun will spread the oil around.

Dark Paladin
10-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll give that a shot. Is it safe to assume that lubing should be done for a M203 shell? I noticed some blemishes in the metal rings that weren't there before when I first got it.

AustinWolv
10-17-2005, 10:33 AM
In my opinion, the M203 shell doesn't need much. Treat it the same as a GBB pistol mag. A drop or two in the fill nozzle prior to filling with gas (or if you are using the propane adapter, the recommended couple drops in the gas side adapter every so often).