PDA

View Full Version : XM8 kit sight

AustinWolv
05-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Likely the biggest complaint I've heard, read, and personally seen with the GWS XM8 kit is the incredibly lame optics. The kit comes with a mock sight housing that has clear plastic lenses. On the back lens, crosshairs are painted on. When looking from the rear, it is like the "lenses" are backwards as the sight picture is extremely small. When you turn it around, the sight picture looks normal......well, as normal as you are going to get for some clear plastic lenses.

Thus, the kit definitely needs modification since having a useless sight housing right down your LOS is discouraging and rather uncomfortable to use. Compound the problem with a lack of iron sights on the kit, and it gets just plain annoying.

Thus, I went about stuffing an actual red dot sight into the sight housing. After a whole lot of Dremeling, during which I really wished I had access to a mill, it ended up fitting quite well, and the gun, which is quite ergonomically comfortable as-sis, became more comfortable and much more usable.

http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/photopost/data/2/14xm8-2.jpg

For reference, I used a Bushnell 1x28 red dot sight because it was locally available, a fairly compact tubular design, and the outer diameter fit perfectly in the original sight housing holes. There may be better options out there, but this one worked out fine, even though it took substantial Dremeling on its' housing which was gave an uneasy feeling of no return.

Agrovale
05-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Very nice. Want to do it again? :)

Obsidian
05-01-2005, 08:29 PM
ya....and again :)

AustinWolv
05-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Every man has his price. ;)

Bstann
05-01-2005, 09:19 PM
And again. hehe

Obsidian
05-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Ok give me 5 and we well call it even :)

AustinWolv
05-01-2005, 10:25 PM
True, I only charge $995 to do it, so that G-bill you gave me was a touch too much. :p