PDA

View Full Version : Various BB measurements

AustinWolv
04-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Upon reviewing JayZ's .2g BB info at AirsoftMechanics, I was rather curious about heavier BBs, since I personally use only .25g and up when skirmishing.

Thus, bored slightly while watching TV and not having some stuff to do for once, I measured several types that I had on-hand (30BBs each, as I didn't want to spend as much time as JayZ did measuring 100 samples). ;)
Digital calipers, reading to 0.01mm, were used for the first couple brands, after which I bought and switched to using digital micrometers ever since, reading to 0.001mm. Both brands are Mitutoyo. Graphical results posted farther below.

Evike .25: - Smooth and shiny; injection gate was visible; not spherically consistent at all; fairly hard
AVG = 5.909mm
Std. Dev. = 0.0194
KSC .25: - Smooth and shiny; consistent spherically; good hardness
AVG = 5.908
Std. Dev. = 0.0085
Maruzen .3: - Semi-shiny; semi-smooth; can see speckles; somewhat soft
AVG = 5.904
Std. Dev. = 0.0218
Infinity .28: - Smooth and shiny; not consistent spherically; good hardness
AVG = 5.905
Std. Dev. = 0.0114
AE .25: - Smooth and shiny; very consistent spherically; very hard
AVG = 5.95
Std. Dev. = 0.0086
Matrix .2g tracer: - smooth; sinks at the injection gate visible; not consistent spherically; very hard; did not bother measuring these yet because I was annoyed at the sink marks
Matrix .2g whites: - very hard; very inconsistent roundness....saw variance on individual BBs of up to 0.1mm (example: 5.88-5.98mm); shiny; slight surface texture; found a sprue in the bag; one BB had very noticeable sink mark
AVG = 5.919
Std. Dev. = 0.0199
Straight .3 silvers: - Smooth and shiny; fairly consistent spherically
AVG = 5.904
Std. Dev. = 0.015
G&P .28: - Smooth and shiny; not consistent spherically; some noticeable rogue BBs; good hardness
AVG = 5.935
Std. Dev. = 0.019
Toyjet .28: - Smooth and shiny; fairly consistent spherically; good hardness
AVG = 5.895
Std. Dev. = 0.008
Toyjet .3: - Smooth and shiny; speckled; average roundness; a couple rogue smaller BBs; good hardness
AVG = 5.873
Std. Dev. = 0.009
Maruzen Super GrandMaster .29: - Smooth and semi-shiny; exceptional spherical roundness; very consistent size
AVG = 5.931
Std. Dev. = 0.005
Guarder .28: - Very shiny and slight surface roughness; average roundness; seemed slightly softer than other brands; good consistency
AVG = 5.904
Std. Dev. = 0.0086
AE .28: - shiny; smooth; good hardness; good roundness; very large in diameter average
AVG = 5.962
Std. Dev. = 0.0106
Straight .25 tracer: - Smooth and shiny; injection gate was visible; seam lines perceptible; not spherically consistent at all
AVG = 5.906mm
Std. Dev. = 0.0106
Tokyo Marui .3g Precision: - Smooth and shiny; no seamlines, injection marks; very consistent roundness; excellent hardness
AVG = 5.937mm
Std. Dev. = 0.0048
AE .23g: - Smooth and shiny; good average diameter, but varied in roundness; several would measure consistently but then a rogue BB would be mixed in; good hardness
AVG = 5.931mm
Std. Dev. = 0.0136
PHX .28g: - Slight surface roughness detected and shiny; great average diameter and very consistent in size, but they showed some variance in roundness; they were easy to crush compared to others
AVG = 5.952mm
Std. Dev. = 0.0063
ICS .25g: - Surface roughness apparent, but fairly smooth; good average diameter, but they were middle-of-the-pack at best for consistency; good hardness
AVG = 5.935mm
Std. Dev. = 0.0121
KillerBeez .25g eco-friendly (tan): - Smooth, shiny surface; average diameter listed is a bit small because roundness is sketchy but the BBs physically measure on large side which has them chrono on the high side; great hardness
AVG = 5.916
Std. Dev. = .0063

Summary (my opinions only):
AE .25 was easily the best of the common group above in my opinion. Only the Maruzen SGM was dominant in these measurements, but of course we all know that shows in the price they command. The AE .25 was right there at the top in terms of consistency and provided the largest average diameter. (Recommended)

Maruzen SGM exhibited incredibly consistent diameter, as well as roundness. (Recommended for bolt-action use due to cost)

Tokyo Marui .3g Precision measured great with fantastic consistent diameter and roundness. On the same level of the highly-regarded Maruzen SGM. (Recommended for bolt-action use due to cost)

AE .28 showed the largest diameter, but wasn't as consistent as the AE .25. The roundness consistency didn't seem on par with the AE .25 either. Still a really good choice, especially for those seeking accuracy. (Recommended)

PHX .28 measured very well for size and consistency although roundness was not as good as some other brands.. Haven't used these in the field yet, but they look like a good choice. (Recommended)

AE .23g measured a bit above average of this group and is a good quality choice. (Recommended)

KSC .25 is right there with AE in terms of being consistent, but at a smaller diameter. (Recommended)

Maruzen .3 looked good, but weren't consistent in size at all. (Not recommended)

Evike .25 were not impressive in roundness or consistency, with their low price being the positive attribute. However, they appear usable in AEGs if on a budget. (Acceptable for those on budget)

Straight .3 silvers stacked up decently, but the coating coming off is a big negative since that will get all over your hopup bucking. I got some wild shots when using these, as expected. (Not recommended)

G&P .28 had good diameter, but really varied from BB to BB. Some measured great spherically, but others were really bad. They are average to low-end because of the inconsistency in roundness and sample variation. (Acceptable)

ICS .25 had good diameter, but showed some lack of consistency from BB to BB. Roundness was acceptable. These are average BBs by measurements, but are a good price value and will work well for AEGs. (Acceptable - Recommended pending field use)

Toyjey .28 were suprisingly consistent to me, but were on the small side in terms of diameter. (Recommended; good price vs. weight/quality ratio for semi-auto DMR/sniper rifles)

Toyjet .3 were a touch smaller than the Toyjet .28, but were also fairly consistent in size.(Recommended; good price vs. weight/quality ratio for semi-auto DMR/sniper rifles)

Guarder .28 are nicely consistent in diameter, but have some slight variance in their roundness and were a bit on the smaller side. (Recommended; good price vs. weight/quality ratio for semi-auto DMR/sniper rifles)

Infinity .28 was basically middle of the pack. Decent diameter, but lacking on the consistency. (Acceptable)

Matrix .2 definitely earned their low price point. Very poor spherical consistency, although the average diameter of them was fairly good. However, the diameter variance was poor with only the Maruzen .3 being worse. Finding a injection-molding sprue in the bag wasn't reassuring either. These BBs are definitely not round, and I would only waste money on them if you are really on a budget and don't have a tightbore barrel. (Not recommended)

I would not recommend the Matrix tracers unless you are really looking low-budget. However, to be honest, I haven't put them through a gun yet. I would not expect consistent accuracy from them. Don't blame me if they do something bad to your gun. (Not recommended)

The Straight .25 tracers have worked ok during night skirmishing. They did vary in accuracy a bit, but they shot through the gun just fine. They vary quite a bit in spherical consistency (or lack thereof) with a difference of up to 0.1mm seen in a few samples, mainly due to the injection molding gate being visible and not rounded down well. (Acceptable for standard AEG)

As experimental proof of size discrepency, I tested a few of the above BBs through one of my classic gas guns, which is pretty picky about what kind of BBs it will shoot as it is dependant on BB diameter (and weight to an extent). Only the AE .25, AE .28, and Guarder .28 would shoot well from the gun, while the worst performing BBs were the Evike .25, followed by the KSC .25. Due to being slightly heavier, the Infinity .28 and Maruzen .3 performed slightly better, but not as optimally as the AE .25, .28, and Guarder .28.
However, for AEGs with adjustable hopup, the KSC and Infinity for example are very reasonable choices for those not wanting to use AE for whatever reason.

For standard AEGs, most of the above BBs will work just fine. If you have a tightbore, stay away from the really cheap BBs above or at least make sure you inspect each bag carefully.

For semi-auto sniper/DMR rifles, look for BBs that are on the smaller end of the standard deviation as those types of shooters want consistent shots. Size of BB is not as important since they can set their hop-up to account for that as long as the BBs are consistent from one to the next.

For bolt-action rifle users, I would recommend only the most consistent in size in a heavier weight (.28g or higher assuming muzzle energy limits that most US field use) such as the SGM .29g and TM .3g

Observations were done by eye; spherical comments were judged by measuring diameter numerous times on each sample. Measurement error, of course, is to be considered. Size was the focus here, not the BB mass. Note that more precise micrometers were used as time went on; early samples were done with digital calipers so some early measured brands have rougher data compared to later measured brands. Things are close enough for the data to be relevent still.

I will attempt to add more BB types as I come across them and/or have time.

AustinWolv
05-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Here are the links for the .2g testing that JayZ did:
http://www.airsoftmechanics.com/reviews.php?aid=12
http://www.airsoftmechanics.com/reviews.php?aid=13

AustinWolv
05-18-2005, 01:39 AM
These two graphs show the average diameter and consistency of the brands/types measured. Just to be clear, a smaller standard deviation is better.

http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/downloads/diameter.JPG
http://www.lonestarairsoft.com//forums/downloads/deviation.JPG

AustinWolv
09-08-2007, 03:39 PM
(More BBs to be added in new posts on this thread, as the first post has maxed out the character limit. Graphs will be updated on the first page of this thread.)
KillerBeez .25g eco-friendly (tan): - Smooth, shiny surface; average diameter listed is a bit small because roundness is very sketchy but the BBs physically measure on large side which has them chrono on the high side (think of an oblong shape....one side is large diameter, while rotating the BB, you'll come across the small diameter); great hardness
AVG = 5.916
Std. Dev. = .0063
KillerBeez .25g eco-friendly (tan) are middle-to-high of the pack in terms of size, but the roundess compared to some other brands is poor so they cause some accuracy variation in AEGs. Some local players have reported bad feeding and gun jams that were immediately rectified when they stopped using KBeez. They look like an average BB overall. (Neutral)

KillerBeez .25g whites: - Shiny, smooth surface. Pretty good average diameter, but roundness was not good; also variation between BBs was large, as one BB would be 5.94mm while the next would be 5.91mm. Very good hardness.
AVG = 5.929
Std. Dev. = 0.0085
KillerBeez .25g whites are slightly better than middle of the pack in terms of size, but I'm not sold on their roundess compared to some other brands so they might cause some accuracy variation in AEGs. They look like a good BB overall. (Neutral)

KillerBeez .2g whites: - Very shiny, smooth surface. Large average diameter, but roundness and consistency from BB to BB is fairly poor. One BB would be down at 5.91mm, while next would be 5.96mm. Very good hardness.
AVG = 5.939
Std. Dev. = 0.0137
KillerBeez .2g whites were disappointing. Large diameter but roundness and BBs were all over the map, which could possibly result in accuracy variance at the field. (Not favored; there are better options out there)

KillerBeez .28g whites: - Smooth, shiny surface; Middle of the pack average diameter, but consistency from BB to BB is terrible. Roundness was ok. Very good hardness.
AVG = 5.92
Std. Dev. = 0.0159
KillerBeez .28g whites are decent if you are looking for a heavier BB that isn't too expensive. They vary wildly from BB to BB with some being down in the 5.89mm range, going all the way up to 5.94mm range. (I would pick other brands first, but these are acceptable)

G&G .28g bio: Fairly smooth, some very light roughness; a bit on the small side for diameter; excellent diameter consistency from BB to BB. Roundness was excellent also. Very brittle as they crack and fragment easily with pliers, but decent hardness.
AVG = 5.909mm
Std. Dev. = 0.0054
Very impressed with the dimensional consistency of the G&G .28g bios. Accuracy should be very good. Other G&G bios have been field-tested and performed consistently in AEGs, so the .28g should be expected to do the same. (Recommended)

Javelin 0.2g match grade bio: Speckled surface, some very light roughness, gate marks visible; on the larger side of diameter; very good diameter consistency from BB to BB but roundness was poor. Pretty soft when crushed with pliers.
AVG = 5.932mm
Std. Dev. = 0.009
Despite good diameter numbers and standard deviation, the data is misleading. The roundness on these BBs is not very good and they shoot very poorly. One of the worst BBs seen when actually shooting from a gun, as the accuracy is terrible. They give a wide spread. (Not recommended)

Echo1 0.25g match grade: Smooth, shiny surface; average diameter; great diameter consistency from BB to BB and roundness was pretty good. Pretty soft when crushed with pliers.
AVG = 5.928mm
Std. Dev. = 0.0062
These show great consistency amongst the sample size. A good average diameter and what appeared to be good roundness should lead to good field results. (TBD)

AustinWolv
06-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Discussion moved here: http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8974

AustinWolv
05-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Updated

AustinWolv
09-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Updated with an assortment of the BB Bastard line. These were from dealer small sample packs, so hopefully retail batches are of the same consistency.

BB Bastard 0.2 STY: hard, just deform when crushed, shiny,
AVG = 5.913mm
Std. Dev. = 0.1824
These were on the low-end of the BB Bastard lineup for quality. Pretty small in average diameter and did not exhibit consistent size and roundness. Shooting performance to be updated later.

BB Bastard 0.2 ECO: smooth, shiny, brittle, fragment when crushed
AVG = 5.948mm
Std. Dev. = 0.005
These showed great size and consistency. Very good numbers, especially for an ECO BB. These are expected to shoot well on the field as a result (TBD).

BB Bastard 0.25 STY: hard, just deform, shiny, smooth
AVG = 5.941mm
Std. Dev. = 0.005
These also showed excellent average diameter and consistency across the batch. They should provide good accuracy on the field (TBD).

BB Bastard 0.25 ECO: smooth, hard, shiny, brittle, fragment when crushed
AVG = 5.95mm
Std. Dev. = 0.003
These are textbook, marketing flier numbers. Very consistent and good roundness amongst the batch. They should provide great accuracy on the field (TBD).

BB Bastard 0.28 STY: hard, just deforms, roundness is suspect, shiny, smooth
AVG = 5.941mm
Std. Dev. = 0.006
This size struggled a bit, not posting the great numbers that the 0.25g size showed. The roundness was not consistent, but the average diameter was pretty good and the consistency was still better than many brands. Shooting performance on the field TBD.

BB Bastard 0.28 ECO: decent roundness, hard, shiny, smooth, brittle
AVG = 5.929mm
Std. Dev. = 0.003
Again, these ECO BBs were very consistent in average diameter, but they ran small overall than other offerings. They also didn't appear to be at the top of the heap for roundness for an individual BB, but should be considered average. Shooting performance TBD later.[I]

BB Bastard 0.28 SIL: these are glass-style BBs. VERY brittle and they do indeed shatter, good roundness, smooth, very hard
AVG = 5.954mm
Std. Dev. = 0.005
[I]These BBs ran large and showed great consistency and roundness. They are extremely hard. I would expect excellent accuracy when field shooting is performed (TBD later).

BB Bastard 0.3 STY: below average roundness, injection dimples, smooth, shiny, deform
AVG = 5.943mm
Std. Dev. = 0.009
These were not as good as other Bastard BBs in that they showed some suspect roundness, injection dimples were visible, and they weren't as consistent in diameter across the batch. However, compared to other brands, they were middle of the pack for that diameter consistency and they run large which helps decrease accuracy variation in actual field shooting which will be performed later. (TBD)

AustinWolv
12-11-2010, 08:06 AM
These two entries were provided by BB Bastard, so kudos to them. Note that the sample size was smaller than desired (only 8 BBs per type instead of the typical 30 that is normally measured to get solid statistical data), so while the data looks superb, it is feasibly off a bit.

BB Bastard 0.36g Nites: excellent roundness, smooth, very shiny/glossy, extremely hard, could not break them
AVG = 5.950mm
Std. Dev. = 0.0012
These were simply superb in roundness and consistency. They run large and are very consistent in size which helps decrease accuracy variation in actual field shooting which will be performed later. Highly suspect these will be a fantastic choice for sniper rifles. (TBD)

BB Bastard 0.66g Pearls: excellent roundness, smooth, very shiny/glossy, extremely hard, could not break them
AVG = 5.949mm
Std. Dev. = 0.001
These were simply superb in roundness and consistency. They run large and are very consistent in size which helps decrease accuracy variation in actual field shooting which will be performed later. Highly suspect these will be a fantastic choice for sniper rifles. (TBD)