PDA

View Full Version : Paraclete RAV ???

Kilo
03-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Anyone use the Paraclete RAV to skirmish with? What is your experience with it?

HammerHead
03-29-2005, 10:44 PM
There's quite a bit of information available on it at Military Morons. Their reviews are usually rather impartial, but not focused on the airsoft application of most items they review. The P:RAV, in particular, is detailed here:

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/2ndline2.html

They do note that it is hot, something to be considered in our climate. You might also consider alternatives from:

1. SOTech - their Hellcat and Tomcat are very popular and in use by LSA players.
2. HSGI (High Speed Gear Incorporated) - you'll find many of us loaded out with quite a bit of HSGI kit.
3. Tactical Tailor - their designs focus more or less on vests, rather than chest rigs. But are well designed and versatile.

SOTech and HSGI options are available at both http://www.optactical.com and http://www.skdtac.com, TT options are available at OPTac and http://www.tacticaltailor.com.

A few things to consider, to help with your choice:

1. Do you want a modular rig (ie, you can add and remove pouches or other components)?
2. Do you want a fixed rig?
3. Do you plan to focus on carrying standard magazines or high capacity magazines?
4. Budget, of course.
5. How do you plan on carrying water?

Those are some of the basics. :) If you may find it helpful to see some of these things firsthand, feel free to drop by a skirmish.

AustinWolv
03-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Additionally, all of those solutions will cost far less than a RAV.

HammerHead
03-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Additionally, all of those solutions will cost far less than a RAV.

I *wanted* to make that statement... but... couldn't... because, well, none of the sites I found listed a price. They DID, however, make the ominous statement "For pricing, call..."

If you have to ask...

:D

AustinWolv
03-29-2005, 11:35 PM
RAV is $600+ on Lightfighter

Obsidian
03-30-2005, 10:50 AM
Diamondback tactical had all their paraclete stuff on sale for a while. Not sure what they have left but last time I looked they had the vests about half the price of other places.

Kilo
03-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Daimondback is all out...

A little unhappy with Wasatch. Doesn't seem to fit right and too loose on my body.

Love the modularity of RAV, plus camelback pocket on zip off back panel, and pals webbing everywhere...

Texas heat is what concerns me...I'm just not young like when I was in uncle sam's misguided children...(10yrs ago)

Any help and comments are appreciated!!!

AustinWolv
03-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Modularity is a good thing. If you like the Wasatch, but it is just a bit too big, take a look at the Weesatch. A number of guys locally run that rig.

Personally, I'm very satisfied with my SOTech Tomcat. A fairly recent pic can be seen in the photo gallery.

A bit of history:
-Started with BHI Omega (who hasn't?) - too hot in summer, not modular/versatile, built well
-Went to Wyvern All-Arms Jungle Vest - nice little rig, not made that well held quite a bit, not as hot as Omega
-Switched to Arktis 1601 Jungle Vest - mesh panels, lighter than Wyvern vest, much better quality, not versatile enough BUT a good vest
-Got SOTech Hellcat - modular!; very light and open for Texas heat; can carry a lot; versatile but internal mag slots are restricted to M16 mags to an extent; hydration carrier add-on is a must; bib addon available for more PALS space
-Switched to SOTech Tomcat - all attributes of Hellcat, but internal mag slots are better suited to all types of mags.....more versatile.

Unlike some of the other guys, I'm don't really see the point in having a plate carrier, so the Wasatch/Weesatch/Callahan routes don't interest me. Modularity, high loadout capacity in a relatively compact package, and open-air design were the things I was focused on.

If you go a vest route, I'd recommend something with loose, light mesh panels. Otherwise, in Texas, you can't go wrong with a chest rig in my opinion. There are many others out there, including the Boar modular mag system, the SOTech models, the PPM models, etc. www.optactical.com is a dangerous place for your wallet. :D

Hope that gives you some viewpoints to ponder.

HammerHead
03-30-2005, 08:38 PM
Well, Wolv pretty much captured what I was posting.

For my part, I started out with a BHI MOLLE LBE. It was great for my first 18 months, or so. It's lightweight and the waist component nearly doubles as a back brace. It's airy layout and mesh-panel back made it an excellent rig for the summer months. But, in the long haul, it came up very short on attachment points, clipping options and just a whole lot of dead space.

I dropped the BHI MOLLE LBE in November '04, in favor of a Wasatch. While the plate carrying aspect is, obviously, inherently unnecessary for airsoft purposes, it wasn't a selling point, one way or the other to me. I was interested in the volume of PALS webbing available on the front and rear surface of the rig. I find that it is more useful, versatile and comfortable - given the additional weight I've equipped on it - than the LBE was.

If you've got the time, this Sunday, meet us out at Texas Paintball. I think you'll find it overwhelmingly useful to examine some of our rigs, first hand. See how we've loaded them out for different roles. And, really, just try different things on, to see how they fit.

If you DO have your heart set on the RAV, however, I'd suggest checking eBay. I've been searching for more information on metal receivers tonight and noticed quite a few references to RAV auctions.